Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

WSJ calls Pitts the draft's most interesting player

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by docspor, Apr 24, 2021.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Then all of the attention will shift to the one player whose only apt comparison is a mythological creature. His name is Kyle Pitts. He plays tight end. And there has never been anyone quite like him atop NFL draft boards.

“He’s a unicorn,” says Dan Mullen, his coach at Florida who doesn’t envy the NFL defenses that will soon have to game plan against Pitts. “How are you going to deal with him?”

Pitts may be selected as early as the No. 4 pick by the Atlanta Falcons, which wouldn’t just make him the first non-quarterback taken in this draft. It would make him the highest player taken in the Super Bowl era at a position that has been notoriously maddening to evaluate. There have been many busts and duds. Pitts is the player so gifted he’s forcing coaches and general managers to forget all about those.

Even if Pitts slips another pick or two, he’ll be an extreme outlier among tight ends in the draft, and it isn’t hard to figure out why. Pitts is an extreme outlier. He’s 6-foot-5, 245 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds. With the frame of an offensive tackle on a diet, he’s speedier than most wide receivers. He’s faster than players his size should be and bigger than someone so fast should be.

The NFL Draft’s Most Interesting Player Is a Tight End

• Like Like x 5
  2. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Imagine what kind of hole a guy like that leaving leaves in your O. And then throw in the loss of your most productive QB ever. And a couple of other pretty good WRs and your 2 best OL to boot. Could be ugly next year. Hopefully the D is much much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Our OL concerns me the most.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    We gone run da ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Good luck with that against the really good Ds. Like ugaly and the gumps. Not gonna happen against those kinda teams with little threat from the pass.

6. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    I wish I had your optimistic look in life

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Toney was another Unicorn. Let’s see if Mullen can find some Unicorns from the HS ranks. Mullen’s team now. Mostly kids he recruited now. Will performance improve or decline now that Dan has players he/his coaches personally recruited to UF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Tebow left. Harvin left. Danny left. The Pouncey's left. And there are a ton of others - real game-changers that will leave too. Next man up.

We have some guys that are pretty darn good in the wings. One guy was real good. Got hurt. Overshadowed by Pitts. It would be crazy to think the offense will be similar. But it isn't irrational to expect some decent numbers. I like that other teams won't know what to expect from us. We have a decent QB. We have a ton of backs -some that can catch out of the backfield. Besides...if my memory servers me, all this running stuff opens up passing lanes. Our Corch is the best!:p

Pitts was an anomaly. I'm convinced Trask was too.

The guys need to tackle. (The new rules only allows a couple of scrimmages with hitting.) Expect crappy tackling across America.

The Gators are gonna kick some footsball ass. Pass it around...:eek::)

Go Gators.;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Exactly

10. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    From the title of this thread I thought this was an announcement that he'll be the next spokesman for Dos Equis.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I just hope we have O-linemen who can only pick up one aspect (pass blocking was the past 2 years) and with a spring and summer, we will become at least capable of running the ball. It may look like old-school football (mostly run/pass when they overplay) but I do hope we are ready to run Mullenball.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    yeah as the QB will have 25 carries a game because the OL that could not open holes last year will take a step back.

13. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Crap...four more months till we know for sure.

Come on, Go Gators...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know what will happen next year, but Jones did average 7 yds/carry last year with basically no threat to pass, so I wouldn’t write them off yet.

15. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I WAS very optimistic about our O last year. And even the D to a lesser degree. I was very surprised at how our D performed. Sorry I can't sunshine pump like so many on here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I'm not writing off a good season. Just an O that is as productive as last year. People expecting anything close to that are going to be in for a severe letdown. I am expecting the D to be pretty good and much much better than last year though. Hopefully I'm right about the latter and wrong on the former.

17. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Yep. And there were major decreases in production after those guys left.

18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Unfortunately...true.

However, to counter, I offer you the '96 and '06 Gators, both of whom lost a fair amount of talent, and those years were expected to see a drop off ('96), or be a rebuild ( '06--and don't forget how unbelievably daunting that '06 schedule was going in...). Of course, they resulted in our first and 2nd nattys, respectively.

Just offering some counter balance for hope's sake.

Fwiw.

19. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well it would be hard to have an offense to rival last year’s indeed. Trask and co were a force.

I do think the run game will improve though, so I could see a decent offense emerging. And maybe Jones’ passing will surprise us.

I also hope you’re right about the defense. Not sure how to predict that one.

20. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    That’s your problem. Nobody said you had to be a sunshine pumper. The post was about how great of a player Pitts is and will be and you brought it right to our team is gonna suck. So to recap for you. Post is about individual player.....your comment is about how the entire team. Granted you did make it where you at least gave Pitts a back handed compliment prior to saying we’re probably gonna suck next year

• Funny Funny x 1