Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

WRUF 98.1 FM /AM 850 seriously dropped the ball on National Signing Day

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by UFreak, Feb 8, 2018.

1. UFreak

UFreak Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    As a Gainesville resident and a devoted listener to our local radio stations that are broadcast from UF's campus (WUFT 89.1 as well as WRUF), I was seriously disappointed with their coverage of National Signing Day.

During the 2-4 p.m. slot, WRUF host's a regional college football program, the Chuck Oliver Show. I don't dislike it. It gives good information on the SEC as a whole. So when I jumped in the car yesterday after hitting refresh a million times on my computer screen to see the latest on recruiting news, I presumed all would be OK when I had to leave work around 3:15 p.m. The Chuck Oliver Show would surely give me updates on what was happening with SEC recruiting.

I was sad to learn for the first time yesterday, that the Chuck Oliver Show is a tape delay broadcast by two hours. All the news I was hearing was two hours old. On a normal day, that would not be a big deal, but on National Signing Day? It was a HUGE deal.

That is the type of lazy, I-don't-care-about-the-listeners crap that infuriates me. That should have been a local voice at that time. You make an exception and pre-empt the show on that day and plug in Steve Russell or someone? For a college football crazy town, you have to know this.

Thankfully, I was not in the car and had already heard the news about Copeland's commitment and Gouriage's commitment. But my assumption is that neither of those two commitments were reported in a timely manner on the station because the Chuck Oliver show was on.

To add insult to injury, the Copeland commitment (probably our biggest one of the day yesterday) was broadcast live by ESPN2. The irony of this? WRUF's sister station is ESPN - they could have had the rights to broadcast the live feed of the Copeland commitment. Not only could they have updated us, but they would have updated us in real time on the Copeland commitment.

All told, WRUF was unable to update its listeners on three commitments at least from 2-4 p.m. (Langham was the other). And all the information that we were hearing on the Chuck Oliver show was consistently two hours old.

Lame

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    PLUS - WRUF all morning kept saying Mullen would be on at 3:45pm EST. I did see some of it on Finebaum. This was pretty sad of WRUF that is a UF Station (ESPN).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    What is this AM radio you speak of?

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That's the problem right there. BSPN was far too deep into their 3-way tea-bagging session with UGa and Bama to bother with anything associated with UF

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I have no idea when the presser began, but it did not end until around 4:45 when Steve Russell came back on the air. I have no idea if they gave an update of the commitments/signees after the Oliver show and before the presser or not. I'm sure Dan the Man went over all the new signees, however, since I only caught about 15 minutes of it.

6. BT3

BT3 Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    West Coast
    I miss Larry V.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. interrygator73

interrygator73 Junior

Feb 21, 2017

Presser began shortly after 4:00. Coach Mullen even made a comment about being a busy day with schedules hard to keep. I also think they were waiting for Copeland's signed letter to be faxed.

8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 All American

Sep 4, 2017
    This is such a lie

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

don’t take it personally

10. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 All American

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm not. They gave us coverage from time to time but by in large, you're right, it was ab UGA slurpfest but rightfully so

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatorrr4life

gatorrr4life Junior

Dec 17, 2017
    FYI: Shane Mathews is the voice of that show.

12. UFreak

UFreak Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Shane and Ackerman are earlier in the day 10 a.m. to noon.

13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think Shane is on vacation. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. gators83

gators83 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Indialantic, FL
    Might be coming from Cell Block C pretty soon. Don't know who Brady is going to replace him with. The pair were good together.