Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

WR - Jacob Copeland

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by florida72, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I tell kids all th time who complainant stats, stats are real, but show me what you are doing on the field the other 60 plays you don't have the ball.

Punt team, punt return, kick off. Etc. The thing that impressed me about Pierce a couple of years ago is e was the first guy down the field on kick off. Everytime!! And laying the wood, all the while a 3rd stringer.

THAT is what gets you a scholarship and drafted to the NFL. Everyone shines with the ball, but what are doing the other 60 plays?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    What is this snapchat live you speak of?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. raisinghill

raisinghill Freshman

Feb 7, 2019
    1. Dude unhappy and venting after blowing out UGA is unacceptable...clearly doesn’t understand what it means as a win and what lies ahead

2. I feel for the dude in that he has likely been marking his progress and play vs Chase and is disappointed/frustrated

3. KT read too many press clippings and made a bad choice on that punt return and on the same drive lost a bunch of yards playing hero.

4. Probably could have used VJ better last year. I’m juts glad we have a QB who can spread it around

• Like Like x 1
  4. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    I’m cool with venting on coaches making millions but leave the players alone. These are OUR guys and let’s keep it positive

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    I know, crazy complaints.

6. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Link please?

7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    In looking at the forum today it's hard to believe we won our game yesterday.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We finally are deep enough at some positions (WR included) that if a kid isn’t happy and decides to leave then good luck to them.
    That said, next year should be his year, hope he toughs it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

You know how it is with Gator fans … Best fans in College football:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The whining that goes on here is unprecedented.

The best part is those threads about what other fan bases are saying on their talk forums.

It's like they don't realize how WE look on our forum.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

I am actually curious to hear his thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Am I going to pile on against Copeland? No.

He's physically exactly who we want in this offense. He's strong, fast and has been clutch a few times since he's been here. He knows that. When you're the perfect fit for an offense and not getting 100 yards/game, you start thinking something is wrong with the system.

I just don't think he fully appreciates the nuances of everything working against this offense and maybe doesn't understand how to improve his role in this offense. It would do him a world of good to sit with his position coach and ask how he can make a bigger difference in our offense. It's 20x easier to improve your game HERE than transfer into another set of problems elsewhere.

Just hearing his takes on other players just makes me feel he's not seeing the bigger picture.

Van Jefferson is a great receiver. Yes, he was good enough to go first-round.

Having said that, our offense was a massive work-in-progress. It started on the OL. We were one of the worst in the SEC upfront. You're just grasping at good plays when your offensive line can't run block or pass block. If you're holding your breath for something basic like positive yards, you don't have the luxury to game plan for a guy whose gonna draw double coverage anyway.

Hell, La’Mical Perine was one of the best RBs we've had in 20+ seasons. If you believe Jefferson couldn't shine, imagine the frustration Perine felt?

The year started with Franks and ended with Trask. Spring, summer and into the fall, we were all hoping Franks would turn the corner. Until that happened, we simply do much on offense. Then we had to find a way to rework the offense to work with Trask.

Someone pointed out that our RBs were getting open easier. That's why they were being fed the ball. Why force yourself to make a harder throw when an easier one is right there and will give you tons of yards?

That kind of stuff is the bigger picture and I think if he really understood that, he'd feel more humbled and want to do more to improve himself. Not sure what it would take to get him to see that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You want passes thrown your way? Stop dropping them.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    and get your ass open!...not literally though (see Adam Lane)

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    5 * players 5* mouths ... they are different

16. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I could have sworn I saw him dragging about 5 Georgia defenders in a nice catch over the middle on Saturday. The guy is a beast. Needs to keep his pie-hole closed and work really hard. Often times it take a bit of maturity. He's been targeted a lot, last year on deep balls, dropped a few. Right now he's still inconsistent. Look at Toney. The guy is a beast now and still learning. Saturdays game was a clinic of unreal guys going up and taking what they wanted. Even Danielson was in audible approval during catches.

I like the kid. Usually when you talk a lot you're not listening very much. Sometimes you can listen, but you don't hear. When you really hear, then you can embrace humility, realize it isn't 'out there' it's from within, up your game and then doors will fly open and opportunity presents itself. Work, listen, work some more.

Here's to the lad doing what he needs to, to win the trust of the coaches and the team. May the doors open. Grasshopper, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand...:eek:o_O:p

Go Gators.:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Senior

Nov 24, 2011
    Already said it was on Snap so there is no link.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  18. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 18, 2015
    Billy G will get him to the league and more PT here, but....there is a lot he still needs to learn.

exhibit A: Toney. He finally started to perfect his craft as a receiver this a year. Tighter routes, getting separation, catching the dang ball, and blocking. Did u see Toney blocking downfield like a madman on Wright’s 50 yard wheel route? That’s hustle.

exhibit B: who were our beat two gunners last year on the punt team? Cleveland and Jefferson. Much as I can’t stand John Elway, he came right out and said Cleve made the 53 man roster on his work ethic and special teams play.

exhibit C: blocking. You won’t see the field at Wr or RB in this team until you can block and play your assignments off the ball

exhibit D: catch the ball. Our RBs don’t see the field until they learn to catch the ball. Doubly true of WRs. Want to know why Trask throws to Pitts a lot? He catches the ball, in heavy traffic, and even if it’s not perfectly thrown. Cope? Not there yet. Whittemore has made some sick catches too, as did Malik Davis against UGA.

Bottom line is that if he listens to his coaches, puts in the work and learns his craft, he’ll be one of the featured guys next year.

the jump in maturity level and performance displayed by Toney this year is going to be the difference between a legit NFL shot and being an UFA. Copeland should be paying close attention.

hope he stays. Think he’s got the opportunity to have a big career here. It’s just around the corner IMO if he plays his cards right.

• Like Like x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorskater

gatorskater GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well said. These players work hard and sometimes if they dont get the returns they expect frustration sets in. Let Mullen handle this in house. We don't to tell the kid to take a hike. They are more invested in the games than we ever will be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    He still has issues with the dropsies

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.