Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

WOW!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 11, 2020.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    They shot so far above average that the defense didn't matter much. You can leave guys wide open in warmups and they aren't shooting 75% from 3 (I realize they missed a few at the end to drop that when it didn't matter)

2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Only 36 of their 91 pts came from 3 pointers. I don't question the crazy shooting percentage was a factor. I just can't get past the 91 pts allowed by what was supposedly a strength of the team. They shot a high percentage inside the arc too. Anyway you slice it, the defense was poor.

3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Avoid the game thread!!!

4. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Amen, I'll line up right behind you on this one. This team should have started coming together by now. I knew the first month or two would take time but the next 2 weeks are going to tell us way more about the rest of this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Brent, you're awesome, but if I'm being honest, your posts of late have a hint of hall monitor mixed with gotcha games. Fans (short for fanatics) are, by nature, emotional, schizophrenic, often irrational, and live in the moment. You can find inconsistencies and contradictions all day long when looking back at old posts and comparing to current posts....especially in game threads or after bad losses. I'm just not sure if it's worth rehashing with several posters instead of focusing on current criticisms. I appreciate anyone on this board that isn't a drive-by football fan or only post after game-types. We certainly don't have enough knowledgable posters and the gotcha stuff can be off-putting.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Wow-I don't understand why people let a game played by college kids effect their lives.

7. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    You must be such a joy to watch a game beside.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You're right. None of it really matters.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I will 2nd that Brent is awesome, and hope he stays put here. I certainly have faults when it comes to posting internet messages. Brent is probably the most level-headed person I've ever seen frequently on the internet, and that in itself annoys me. But he's certainly gained my respect with the amount we've gone back and forth. It's quite entertaining to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Gosh, that Tim Tebow really needs to tone it down. I don't understand the yelling, so I'm going to act as though it's beneath me.

11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Don't go giving him the big head, but I am looking forward to meeting him at the SEC tourney this year.

• Like Like x 2
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Ha! Thanks, fellas... and back at ya.
    Cincy and Ed are near the opposite end of the spectrum as it relates to the current "Mike White" debate. . . but both are among my favorite posters. I try not to take opinions here too seriously (even my own). . . nor disagreements. And Cincy and I have had a couple doozies over the years.
    There really is only one remaining poster who I overtly take to task (UFCLAWDAD and Bababooey left). Otherwise, that's not really my modus operandi. At least its not supposed to be. But perception is reality, and my posts aren't giving the best perceptions.
    I've probably put myself in a bit of an untenable spot here, with my stated support of Coach White.
    I still think this will prove a very good season and White will have a very successful tenure here. That may be fan optimism or stubbornness speaking . . . or both.
    Regardless, it's probably compelled me to post even more argumentatively than I typically do . . . and that's saying something! So, I'll step back for a bit and be a lurker! To be honest, I haven't much enjoyed the forum as of late. And that is NOT anyone's fault. . . just a reflection of a not-so-enjoyable season.
    Some have said they've kinda veered away from watching games. I can't do that . . . way too superstitious. And hell, I've sat thru much worse than this. But I probably should veer away from posting for a little while.
    I'll return when I can say, "See, I told ya - you morons!". I'm kidding.
    But seriously. . . if this season flops - the name 'aka' will go into self-imposed exile. I'm kidding again.

Go Gators!

ps - Oklahoma, I'm even less interesting in person. But I'll buy you a drink at Stage.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Brother it takes a lot for me to not care about watching our games. And I don’t mean just football. Baseball , gymnastics, underwater basket weaving etc. If we’re playing and it’s on tv I will almost always find a way to watch. This team has put me in a no mans land of apathy. Watching this team is beginning to feel like it did watching the team in muschamps final season or so. I can recall thinking and saying to people while watching us that only one thing comes to mind , we look like we hadn’t practiced at any point during the season. There’s no greater indictment of a coach than to look at a team and wonder if they had even practiced the things they were attempting to do. I’m wracking my brain and if I’m being honest I can’t think of one thing we do consistently well. Like a battered spouse I’m gonna keep watching but man I just wish they could figure it out. I’m not real big on calling for jobs as first options. Maybe he could use an oc in there, worked for Tex and the 90’s bulls. Hellifino

14. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    H
    hard for me to recall a more frustrating year, made even more so bec I’ve tried to remain confident in white. Really think he could use some elite assistants maybe

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I'm afraid who Stricklin might hire next. He did bring Ben Howland to MSU and that guy is doing worse than CMW.

16. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Oh crap! What have I done?!? Did I just chase you into exile? Totally not my intent. This board is nothing without you. Please come back/stay! Maybe it was all tongue-in-cheek and I'm taking it literally. You are the best poster on this board. I was just keeping it real.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Certainly not pining for Bruce Pearl specifically but what do people think he would do with this team? People are throwing out all kinds of arguments including the ole Florida basketball is what it is blah blah blah but look at what Pearl has working with Auburn. Or what he had with Tennessee. Seems like some are looking for the perfect storm of events for White to have a talented AND veteran team with no weaknesses to say look...he can coach.

What he has now is a young infusion of talent along with a group of 2nd year talent(veteran by today's standards) and a talented grad transfer. It's as good as one could ask for especially given the prior years injuries, medical issues and losses from attrition.

The ingredients are there. A D1coach HAS to put a better product out there

18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Everyone is more interesting after a drink. Or 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. traubgator

traubgator GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    It kind of reminds of watching the McElwain coached teams, just not an entertaining product at all. I'd like to see some level of consistency in year 6 and some identity. I have no idea what our team identity is or is expected to be. Just seemed completely random from week to week will very little consistency.

20. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I think the one thing people point to as White's problem - that in my opinion can be corrected - is Paralysis by Analysis. It would be a problem if he didn't know what he was doing, but I think we can all (ok, most) agree that he knows and understands the game of basketball. But if you're overanalyzing and 2nd guessing, this rubs off on your players. You don't want shooters 2nd guessing themselves.

Does this also make players more scared of failing? Perhaps. Regardless, we can - at least from the outside - see a coach that can 1. recruit 2. relate to his players 3. make adjustments to his style to fit personnel (to some degree) BUT has some troubles making in-game adjustments, taking advantage of player matchup mismatches, riding a hot hand - basically strategies a coach should be able to employ in his sleep, but maybe he's taking the more complicated approach and not just simplifying it.

You watch great NBA coaches (and great NBA teams) like Popovich, and you see how good they are on targeting 1-2 players on D and having a specific albeit sometimes simple game plan - plans that are easily implementable. If XYZ works for eg then stick with it until it doesn't - keep going back to the well until they stop it. Or see a top player is in foul trouble and keep putting pressure on him. Simple stuff.

In contrast, White either doesn't see this stuff - or - he doesn't focus on it. Is it because he hasn't simplified the game yet? A young coach could be like a young player, perhaps the game hasn't slowed down yet for him. Or has not yet been simplified to that point yet. But he's a smart guy, so let's hope that over time it will. Because it seems like he knows his stuff, but he's a victim of paralysis by analysis. And it's rubbing off on his players.

Too much thinking, not enough doing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1