Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

WOW!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 11, 2020.

1. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Or a poster that reads "Do what Todd said"

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Could not have summarized last nights debacle better! Sure you can have an occasional bad game on the road in the SEC's 18 game schedule. But last night was much more sypmtomatic of what ails this team. Another problem is Blackshear who I thought would be a post player, and even though he has contributed on the offense end this year, I never thought he would be a center who roams around outside the three point line shooting threes. This teams parts are dysfunctional and what you see at this point is what you get and it's not pretty!

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Don't think you should blame yourself, we should be having a better year. Unfortunately, this season is just more of the same. When you look at the White tenure it is basically us beating middle of the road teams with few bad losses but only a handful of wins over top teams. Consistently defined by doing just enough every year. There was no reason to believe this wouldn't be the breakout season. Maybe we still end up making some noise in the postseason, but confidence in the programs direction is definitely shaken at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I had to track. Saw the halftime score and that Johnson had 0. The first 5 minutes of the 2nd half they needed to be ice and we needed to be fire. Nope. When the other team is faster and makes more shots it is hard to win.

5. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    I was very surprised ADSS hired him.
    I get the relationship thing, but after the failed Muschamp and Mac hires, I thought we would be more careful and find someone with an established track record.
    Kudo's as to the Mullen hire. I understand AD Foley had his reasons for not wanting Dan here, but it sure has worked out.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Foley/Hill hired White.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    This has probably been the most disappointing team I can ever remember relative to preseason expectations. The team is a complete bore and very hard to watch. I find myself posting more about other teams on this board lately than this team. The only thing I expect from them is uneven play and inconsistent performances.

None of our players (with possible exception of Blackshear) are well-rounded. The pieces don't complement each other. Nobody can shoot (except Locke). We still struggle to finish at the rim, Blackshear included. Some of our best players still can't finish with their off-hand, which is bizarre. Our best offensive players aren't good defensively. Our best defensive players aren't good offensively. None of the freshmen are as advanced as we expected. Mann has been a nightmare. Scottie is more raw offensively than I could have imagined (even though I knew he was far from a finished product coming in).

The Mike White discussions have worn me out. The buck ultimately stops with him. So the season is a colossal failure so far. Needless to say, there is a lot of season left. But I've seen nothing to indicate it will be anything but uneven moving forward. We will win enough games in a mediocre conference to make the tourney. But until I see us beat a good team, or at least play at a high level against one, I can't even imagine us making a run in March.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Most coaches will feed the hot hand. Look at number of threes Locke took. If your offense can’t design plays to feed the hot 3 point shooter, you have no business being a head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don’t forget the most important member of the hiring trio, @akaGatorhoops

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    He shot 6.
    That is a relatively high amount of attempts from the arc.

I thought the big mistake was having Kerry on the bench during some critical minutes when we narrowed the gap. Mizzou was in terrible foul trouble and we were in the bonus super early. That is the time to attack... not launch from 3. We could have and should have been scoring from the line with the clock stopped.

I didn’t like last nights lineup decisions.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    This may not be the best time to admit this, but....

When billy announced his departure, I texted mike hill, congratulating him on a long run with a HOF Coach... AND suggesting he hire a guy named Mike White.

True story.

<runs and hides>

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, on the one hand congrats on being the man.

Can we all agree next time you consult this board before offering advice to the administration on a coaching hire? :D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Truth be told- I’m sure mine wasn’t the staffs first introduction to coach white. I’m guessing the list was well established st that point. (This narrative can and will change should Florida/White rip off a bunch of wins and have a successful march.)

My only push now is to flip the camera.
    I think that has pretty solid support. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a confession to make.

I record every game but watch them live if I’m available. Yesterday I was available to watch it live but I choose not to because I had a inkling it would be an extremely frustrating game and wasn’t in the mood to go through that. Now I don’t even want to watch the recording. This season has taken it out of me as a fan.

Whatever the reason for them, these results won’t be acceptable at Florida in the long-term (I won’t prognosticate how long that is as I have no idea what Stricklin’s threshold is). I have a hard seeing it as being a player issue too (can’t comment on the effort last night obviously). We’ve recruited well enough to be a top 10 or even 5 team. Maybe my perception is off but what we’ve seen from White isn’t what I thought he did at Louisiana Tech. Wasn’t it a much faster up and down team with pressing and only going to the DDO when the other team got back?

• Like Like x 1
  15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I avoided the board yesterday because I knew it would be insufferable. Missouri shot lights out. They made circus shots under the basket. They made wide open 3s. They made contested 3s. They made their FTs.

I don't care if Red Auerbach was our coach we were gonna lose that game.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I feel part of our problem was we came out shooting treys instead of trying to take it to the hoop. We got off to a horrible start and were not able to claw our way back. We stayed within a point of them in the 2nd half but every time we made a decent run they countered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Imo, the first mistake White made was not starting Lewis. He's our energy guy, best perimeter defender and coming off back to back really good games. By the time he came into the game after three minutes, Missouri was already on fire from 3.

Then allowing Glover to shoot any shot he wants without repercussion is getting ridiculous. Enough of this already. Some of these horrible shots were momentum killers, early in shot clock with no one under the basket. Billy would have yanked him immediately. White needs to put a stop to this already.

In the 2nd half, there was a long stretch with KB and AN on the bench where Missouri pretty much ended any hope of a comeback. White just doesn't seem to have a good feel for line-ups in some games.

I know Missouri shot lights out, but that was a terrible defensive performance. I know Missouri won't play that well the rest of the year, but there were so many easy looks.

The Miss game is now an absolute must win if this team wants to go to the tournament. We're probably going to get beat by Auburn, lose at LSU and then get blown out by Baylor. Can't afford 5 straight losses. Really need to go 2-3 in the next 5, but who knows with this team.

Overall I no longer now how to feel about White. It now looks like this team is a bubble team again. I know he's not going anywhere after this year, but is this just prolonging the inevitable or is this just an inexperienced team where the parts don't mesh well. I really want him to succeed, but this hasn't been a good year for White so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    You guys bring great analysis and it is appreciated. Just look at coaching decisions on personnel last night and that says it all...MW is not even a decent game day coach. It was simply horrific and embarrassing.

Best of luck the rest of the year, but there are some teams licking their chops when they look at this team.

I will continue to watch and cheer but I will be upping my beverage game for my sanity.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Kerry hasn't finished as well as I'd hoped in the post, but he's our best player by a wide margin. Scary to think how bad we could be next year without him, Lewis and others. Could get really ugly

20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Let’s hope this reverse mojo has the same effect as when you forecasted doom bc Cheese would be full-time pg in the wake of Hill.

• Like Like x 2