Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Would Playing March Madness Really Have Changed Anything?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by murphree_hall, Mar 22, 2020.

1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    I mean... let's keep it real. Had they just played the games without fans there would it really have hurt anything? :rolleyes:

Working from home during March and not watching the NCAA Tournament is un-American.

2. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    So, Seton Hall in heavily hit NYC brings players, support staff, media, some of whom have had some level of disease exposure, to play UF from (so far) lightly hit Gainesville, and then those UF people are exposed when they might not have been? Sorry, no.

upload_2020-3-23_0-13-24.png

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019

Did Seton Hall magically transport itself into NYC in the last couple of weeks? o_O

4. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    NJ turnpike.

5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Run the risk of someone with corona - but showing no symptoms - spreading it to the uninfected.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Would have been nice to at least see empty arena games, but as this is playing out I think they made the correct call.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I think they could have played.
    My idea was to bring in the teams early and test everyone involved.
    Obviously- limit participation to the bare/ bare/ bare minimum. No cheerleaders, no band.
    Just the players/ refs/ a few support, and a smallish TV crew. I mean- REALLY LIMIT IT.
    I cannot emphasize that point enough. No family members either.

Then bring everyone in early. quarantine them and test them early. Be sure its safe, then play.
    They may have needed to delay it all a week, but it would have been so worth it.

While I understand the safety factor, they also took away the highlight of these kids lives.
    So many NCAAers will never play the NBA. This is it. And playing in MM is a dream come true.
    And it will stay with them the rest of their lives. And now its all gone. Down the drain.

Add to this that young people are at risk- especially athletes.

It could have/ should have been done. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    The tournament would have been going for the next few weeks. No way, by then, would all teams have all players virus free. You'd have one player get it on one team and you'd have to quarantine that whole team.

I miss the tournament as much as anyone but I don't see any way playing could have worked.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    There were very few tests available, so testing every coach, player, & ref (not to mention arena staff & press) for every game would have depleted the meager supply, limiting a valuable resource for people who really needed it. The ncaa did not take this tournament away from the kids; the virus did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I don't know what would be worse, doing what they did and canceling before it started or coming to that decision after the first weekend when we would have been down to the Sweet 16.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    From a selfish perspective (if I'm just looking at how it impacts me), I'd have much preferred seeing it through to the sweet 16. As it is, we didn't even get to see an official bracket! That first weekend of the tournament is always the most fun IMO anyways.

Since there wouldn't have been a champion either way though, I think the way they did it was better overall.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Agreed there was no way to assure every team would be able to play. Even if they gave some first weekend byes if some team was infected and had to drop out, imagine if the tourney had made it to the Final 4 and a team got the virus. Then what? We still would not have a definite champion. But I do miss them playing.

13. hockeygator

hockeygator Junior

Dec 29, 2016
    Italy ---> Durham NC
    not a big basketball fan but I am dying without any sports. I'm worried about football season more than anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Is it too late to start the tourney? :(

15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    No way to insure 100% safety and if just one person got the virus and died, then what. NCAA had no choice.
    Yea, it sucks for the players, but no worse than when the US pulled out of that Olympics years ago.

16. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    One day the world will realize that COVID-19 is barely worse than a cold, less dangerous than the flu, and all this hyperbole will seem ridiculous.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Many of those US athletes still had another Olympics. Plus many of those athletes had other great moments. (Such as world championships, etc.)

But for most of the guys (and girls) from Murray St, or Mercer, or other #15 seeds, this is it. It will never come again.

As far as kids dying from this- think again.
    For those under 22, and in good health, this is the flu. Perhaps less dangerous even.
    This has already run through China and S. Korea and the death rate for the young and healthy is close to zero.

NOW- overall. This is much more serious than the flu. I don't agree with Murhree above me. (Love him, but he's a little off.)

Finally- here's what they should have done with MM.
    Delay it all one or even 2 weeks. We had time.
    Bring in the teams, quarantine, TEST, TEST, TEST and DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE IN outside of a few support or network crew.

Then play it.

It would have been one of the best memories in a terrible time. The whole nation, sheltered in place, experiencing this together.
    We would have had so many moving moments, so many special teams emerge, so many. It would have been so great.

And I just read today about another terrible consequence.
    The NCAA's payout to the schools will be vastly reduced since no MM.
    This will really hurt the non-revenue sports, and the small schools. What a terrible shame.

It's clear to me- the NCAA panicked. They should have looked for a solution, should have preserved MM.
    They would have created some great moments. And the kids would have had a memory that would have lasted their whole lives.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    The NCAA made the right decision, for once.
    I just hate it for the players and the top-ranked teams who had a great chance to win the 'Ship.
    Kinda like I feel bad for our baseball boys who were #1 and looking pretty good. Guess we'll never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    It absolutely had to be canceled. If nothing else, the optics of the world shutting down while we send these kids traveling to play hoops—- would’ve been very, very bad.
    And God for bid a player, referee, coach… Etc., contracts the virus and spreads it during the tournament. This was a no brainer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Could you imagine if the tourney was to proceed without fans and then a player or team had to be quarantined?
    I hate the NCAA and their decisions 99.9999999999% of the time, but they got this one right.
    As they say, a blind squirrel finds a broken clock every now and then.