Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Would be nice to swap Mullen and Meyer

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DomiGator, Oct 19, 2021.

1. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Disagree Bacon! x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Creative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Part of me is like "hell yeah" knowing he would improve recruiting and bring UF up to the level of Bama and UGA. However, I'm not sure I want the baggage. Besides I don't see our current administration going for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Not to mention for how long? He's hasn't exactly stayed anywhere very long and he's only older now with presumably more health issues than he had 10 years ago? I'm not necessarily against tbh if CDM were to leave for some reason.

4. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually I feel Mullen is very much like Kliff Kingsbury. He'd be a better NFL coach than a CFB coach. His weakness can be compensated by a good front office and he can concentrated on his strength.

On the other hand Meyer is like Saban, NFL takes his biggest strength away. The best he can do is an average NFL coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I swear this board sounds like the Clemson boards 4 years into Dabo, Only Dabo was worse than Dan at that point. Dan is miles ahead of Dabo at this point.
    And Dabo took over a better situation. Bowden was winning 8 or 9 games a season and beat pretty good FSU teams his last three seasons.

I want a program like Dabo has. Not a reset every 4 years when the fans get grumpy. That is a Tennessee thing.
    We have a great offensive mind, let him do what Spurrier and Dabo did and finally find a good DC. The world will change for the good at that point.

Some folks are really losing perspective.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    This post is for entertaining pupose only. It's not serious. Most people can tell the odds of this happening is less than you win a lottery. Lighten up and have some fun.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Har har. So much fun.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Great article after they came back to beat the Dolphins in the 2nd half (and really starting at the very end of the 2nd quarter), impeccable timing.

If there's one thing I know, the media loves to pour gas on the fire. This franchise has been a complete joke for a few years now and Meyer is trying to play culture ball (which arguably doesn't work at the NFL level) and the players are acting like pros: don't want to practice, don't want to be told what to do, they want to get on the field and make plays and collect a paycheck. So yeah it's easy to find quotes of players that don't like the approach, but this doom and gloom around him is because he's an outsider.

If he was an NFL journeyman coach on his way to his 5th HC gig when the previous 4 ended in firings for sub-.500 performance, you wouldn't hear a peep from the media. Wow he practices like an average coach, coaches like an average coach, media gets quotes from him like an average coach, isn't it great being so average?

IMO, kudos to the Jags for trying to break the cycle. Even if it doesn't work - they're trying to win with a coach that has won everywhere else. Give me that over recycled blah coach that'll win 6-8 games per season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    I agree with the a great deal of what you say especially the next to last paragraph. The question is, will he move on from not only Grantham but all the coaches who are a net negative.
    Recruiting is controversial to some, but to be a great overall coach you have to be at least efficient at it.
    The talent gap between us and the Georgia and Alabama’s of the world (see last years games between those programs, and this years Alabama game) is closer but it is still there; at some positions we need to be not only better at the hands on coaching craft, but also recruiting.
    The question remaining is Dan Mullen willing to make the difficult choices or will he burn up whatever level of trust he still has with the fans.
    I understand your position, I’m not completely ready to give up on Mullen, but I, and I believe most Gator fans think major changes need to happen.
    It’s true that Dan should not base his decisions on the whims of Gator fan forums, because ultimately he is the one that who is accountable, (so he should make the decisions) but the reality (to me) is if he doesn’t make changes that effect the current trend soon (by season end) he may never get a chance to make those changes, and we will never know if they would have changed the trajectory of the program from good to great.

11. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This is Dan's 13th season as a head coach, not the 4th, so the Dabo comparison kinda falls apart.

Also Dabo had made changes on both offensive defensive sides, by his 4th year he had only 3 coaches who had been there since his start, he didn't hesitate on that.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Huh? Meyer protected Steve Adazio just like Mullen is with TG and Hev. Meyer recommended the Dazler to be the next HC. While Urb's performance was better than Danny's, both place their buddies above the program. No thanks.

13. tilly

I am talking about fan reaction. Dan actually took MSU to heights it rarely saw. He took over a cluster here.
    Yes, his stubbornness is a thorn, but if he hits a homerun on defense we will be a playoff program in short order and the recruiting will follow, just like it has for Kirby and Dabo.
    Kids are drawn to the shiny object. Starting over is a disaster and sets us back 3-4 years probably. A new DC could have us contending tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Addazio was a good recruiter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I've been called a Mullen hater, but I'm good with that so long as he we'll dump the baggage and improve the DC and OL coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Most of us are jaded by Muschamp. We heard the "a new OC could have us contending" many, many times. And Champ had multiple cracks at a new OC. It is really tricky ot determine if problems on one side of the ball is foundational or if a new assistant can truly help.

Dan gets 2022 with a new DC. He has earned at least that much. But nothing in Dan's background makes me think he is able, qualified, or willing to hire the DC needed. I hope he proves me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    And Meyer publically appologized for leaving a mess at UF, he learned his lesson and left OSU in great shape. Has Mullen learned anything from his master? In addition, if not for Hev's inability to recruit, we wouldn't have Addzio in the 1st place. Meyer saw the problem with Hev, he should have replaced him with Adazzio. It's his 1st P5 gig, guess he learned a lot from his UF HC experience

18. tilly

Here's the thing. A defensive HBC can tie the hands of aggressive play calling. Muschamp made his OC's all do the same thing.
    I don't think that is the case here. I don't think Mullen is telling Throat Slash to play soft and keep his offense off the field.

I think Mullen is hands off with the defense, while Muschamp grubby fingerprints were all over our dead offenses.

Muschamp has two QB "failures" playing on Sundays. That is because he ties their hands on Saturdays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    It was publically stated in an article when Mullen & TG 1st met they hit off and agreed that TG would have completely control of the D and Dan need not bother to come over

20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    We would need a more pliant administration like Clemson as well.

• Agree Agree x 1