Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Worried about miami game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by FraserGator15, Aug 16, 2019.

1. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    scUM-that slimy green stuff you find in a pond.
    Gator-The awesome creature that rules the pond.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    That's what I've been thinking. Of course we've played like crap against terrible teams before. I don't think DM will allow that this time though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I'm thinking Hev will have our OL holding their own. I'm also thinking our DL is going to overwhelm they're OL. Hope I'm right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    If they are able to run the ball on us I will be shocked. Of course I was pretty shocked UK did it last year so there's that. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Sounds like you're over it. Good job

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. steve6137

steve6137 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta
    We have several teams on our schedule that are light years better than Miami, so if you're worried about this one you may want to move to a cabin in Montana until January.
    -Enjoy the game. Gators by 21+

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. BahamianCane

BahamianCane All American

Jun 16, 2007
    you should be worried. mark richt aint walking through that door anymore

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Just can't have a repeat of the 2013 game. No turnovers, and UF should win.

It'll be close though. We have convinced ourselves that we are so much better than Miami, but I think it's closer than we'd like to admit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    And by the end of the season you’ll wish he was

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I’ll worry an hour before kickoff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    If you're one of those posters who accentuates all the negatives so that in case we lose you look like a genius, pick another game (like Gerogia) to use that scheme. We are going to dominate scUM. Gators 31-10.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen is not Molly MacButter or Nochamp or Zook. He is not stupid. He knows the OL deficiencies of UF and will not put FF into a position of having to wait a 4 count to release. I expect a lot of short passes to the outside to Toney, Copeland, Van, etc to go one on one, as well as iso's with Grimes. The run game will likely work wide too.

I think Todd G has some specials for Mia offense.

13. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    Felipe took control and assumed the leadership role / mean streak needed to run Mullen’s offense in the second half of the USCe game and never looked back.

Franks became Franks 2.0 in that game and based on what we’ve seen from the spring game and fall camp reports, we may be looking at Franks 3.0.

I’m not worried. I think UF settles in and really pulls away late first half or second half.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Cat's QB was a 100% more seasoned than the Canes QB.

15. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Worry, or not, if you wish, but discounting any RS Freshman QB just because he has little experience is a big mistake. Two that come to mind are Manzel and Drew Lock. Both carved us up like a Thanksgiving turkey as RS Frosh. So how do you like your turkey?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    They will make some plays, we'll hold them out. We will make many more plays and sustain scoring drives. They don't even know who they are yet.

17. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

I actually think they will rely on their tight ends a bunch and use a screen game to open up the running game...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    My theory on this is that Mullen believed two things last year: (1) he simply did not trust the offense, especially Franks, with a higher risk offensive gameplan, and (2) he trusted Savage.

He would spend the first half of the game trying to score, yes, but trying to avoid mistakes, and wear the other team down. If we got down he would open it up but would rather not. Against UGA he knew they had the talent so he took some risks early but they didn't pay. I think USCjr changed things last year when Franks ran more willingly and saw that this opened up throwing lanes.

My hope is that this year he trusts the O and Franks to play smart, tempo and jump on teams early. However, he will never be the HBC who might just chuck the ball around against anybody from the first to the last play. I expect us to start conservatively versus UM because I think Mullen believes (rightly in my view) that the most probable way we lose this game is turnovers. But, he may give FF the keys from play 1.... and that would be a great sign.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

that's right... his mental midget is at the helm.

20. pinecrestgator

pinecrestgator GC Legend

May 30, 2007
    I'm worried about Mullen's roster management and that we might be in for a tough 2020 season when we lose all the experience from 2019 but I'm not that worried about Miami in this game for the following reasons:

1. It's game 1 of a new regime with a 1st time HC. Keep in mind, Manny Diaz is Temple head coach material and he wasn't even an assistant on a Championship level team. He doesn't bring the same mental models of success that a Kirby Smart brought to the table at UGA. Also, his OC hire made me realize that he doesn't know what he's doing.

2. Dan Enos runs a pretty complicated pro-style offense. He made the same promises that alot of OCs make when he promised that he would create a scheme around Miami's talent. That's not what he did at all. He has some crafty plays (the draw and the play action off the draw and he'll constantly flash the jet sweep) but McElwain and Nussmier also had crafy plays. Miami's QBs are ill fitted for what he wants to do. This was evident when he had Tate Martell taking snaps under center. This is evident by how terrible the offense has looked all spring and in fall camp. He's not running spread and I bet he runs little RPO. He doesn't have that expertise. Gattis brought that to Bama last year not Enos. Hes going to run what he ran at Arkansas and Miami will not be able to do that in game 1 and they might never be able to do that.

3. Miami fans are idiots and have deluded themselves in a way that a lot of fans do (including us during the Muchamp and McElwain era). They do have talent but they look at some of the individual talented players they have like Jeff Thomas, KJ Osborne, Brevin Jordan or the DE Garvin and think that winning a one on one battles here and there is going to lead to victory. Their idiot fans, led by Danny Boy Cane, Pedro Arroz, Rick Da Prince etc, are constantly on twitter looking at our losses to Kentucky and Mizzou saying "Who gon cover # 4" (then they put in an eyeball moji and then thousands of Miami fans retweet the nonsense) or "Who gon block #97". They fail to realize that football is 11 on 11 and that UF has a major advantage because we have better coaching and are in year 2 of our scheme while they are in year 1 of what looks to be an inferior scheme. They focus on a few individual matchups that might go their way and ignore the Meta Issue of UF being better organized than them. SO, long story short, don't let Miami fans scare you into thinking they'll win this one.

4. Miami fans are idiots part 2- They think that UF only having 1 win since 1985 (when we've played sparingly and we played mostly when Miami was dominant in the early 2000s while UF was down) creates some sort of intangible advantage. Yes, this will be Miami's superbowl but it'll be like those 80s Broncos teams in the Super Bowl and not the Bellicek Patriots.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1