Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Words with racist connotations

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Trickster, Jul 6, 2020.

1. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    there you go again. I didn’t say the majority of black People are enslaved or on welfare. You seem really caught up on making everything about race. What is the word for that?

I never used the term safety net. Define that term for us?

2. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    No, Trump already did that.

3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Is that why we're at 11% unemployment?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Correct. You used Black Americans without qualification. Here are your own words:
    Next time, don't blame me because you didn't use precise enough language in a statement that comes off as awful prejudiced.

Define "define" for me. Also, define "term" for me. Define "us" too. LOL.

Why do you keep needing me to define terms that are in common use? But this one time I'll humor you:
    https://opentextbc.ca/principlesofeconomics/chapter/14-3-the-safety-net/

From now on, you can google what you don't know.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    so it has been many many years since I took the LSAT, but I will go off memory. Remember those Logic questions that went along the lines of “all Swedes are blondes. Tim is blond. Is Tim a Swede?” I’m going to guess you answered yes and got that 1 wrong. All “safety nets” are welfare, but not all welfare is a safety net. But regardless, I want you to go to your link and scroll down an inch or two. Do you see that gigantic font header that uses the term “TEMPORARY?”

I wonder what the census people say about this. Let’s look together

[QUOTE/] The amount of time spent receiving means-tested assistance programs varied by certain characteristics. People living above the poverty threshold, adults with one or more years of college and full-time working adults are most likely to be short-term program participants. Those most likely to be long-term program participants include people living under the poverty threshold, children, blacks, those in female-householder families, adults with less than a high school degree and adults not in the labor force.[/QUOTE]

How Long Do People Receive Assistance?

Do some research. Understand what you say. Use terms consistently. Fully grasp that both words and actions mean something.

So when I say the Progressive Welfare state has enslaved many Blacks through dependency economics, don’t try to use failed logic and claim I stated all blacks are slaves, only blacks are slaves or all types of welfare are bad. This would be disingenuous. The current Welfare system in this Country is probably the only thing I would agree is Governed by systemic racism. You (progressives) have de-incentivized work, which prevents upward mobility. In so doing, you also assert dominion over recipients...”obey or go hungry”. Black Lives don’t matter to Progressives. Only Power does.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Now you being silly.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    How about next time you actually say that? Don't revise history by adding "many" in a subsequent post. Again, it's not my fault that you weren't precise enough in your post. For a guy who gets so hung up on semantics, one would think you'd write more meticulously.

LOL. Of course. How do "progressives" assert dominion over the recipients? How are they "obeying"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Time to kill the Star Spangled Banner. It is "likely" racist. L.A. Times writer wants to replace it with . . . "Lean on Me".

It's time to cancel 'The Star-Spangled Banner.' Here's what should replace it

So now, you don't have to prove anything. If there is something you don't understand, just say that it's "likely" to be racist, and get rid of it. Ban it forever. Burn it down.

9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Marriage is racist.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    How Long Do People Receive Assistance?

Do some research. Understand what you say. Use terms consistently. Fully grasp that both words and actions mean something.

So when I say the Progressive Welfare state has enslaved many Blacks through dependency economics, don’t try to use failed logic and claim I stated all blacks are slaves, only blacks are slaves or all types of welfare are bad. This would be disingenuous. The current Welfare system in this Country is probably the only thing I would agree is Governed by systemic racism. You (progressives) have de-incentivized work, which prevents upward mobility. In so doing, you also assert dominion over recipients...”obey or go hungry”. Black Lives don’t matter to Progressives. Only Power does.[/QUOTE]
    Keep in mind that the data used in the linked Census Bureau study covered the period from 2009 through 2012, during and immediately following the most severe recession in over 70 years. During the time period used in the study the employment rate averaged around 9% and was at 8.2% at its lowest point during the period and if the focus is limited to blacks, unemployment peaked at over 16% and never dropped below 13.3%. When jobs aren't available people are going to be on assistance for a longer period of time.
    Civilian unemployment rate

11. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Keep in mind that the data used in the linked Census Bureau study covered the period from 2009 through 2012, during and immediately following the most severe recession in over 70 years. During the time period used in the study the employment rate averaged around 9% and was at 8.2% at its lowest point during the period and if the focus is limited to blacks, unemployment peaked at over 16% and never dropped below 13.3%. When jobs aren't available people are going to be on assistance for a longer period of time.
    Civilian unemployment rate[/QUOTE]

So do you always ignore the worker participation rate when you try to explain things, or is that only on Wednesdays?

2 simple questions. Yes or no? (1) Do welfare benefits disincentivize the Recipient’s need or desire to work? (2) are you more likely to climb out of poverty working, as opposed to receiving government assistance?

12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    A Nigerian woman says it is not fair to judge a 19th century man by 21st century principles. Her great-grandfather sold slaves in Nigeria.

'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves'

Apparently there were black people complicit in the slave trade, sometimes for no other reason than greed. And it had been going on long before the Europeans arrived in Africa. How about that?

13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    What about it? What point are you trying to make?

14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone earlier in the thread was suggesting that black people in Africa did not sell other black people, and if they ever did such a thing, it was rare cases of getting rid of captured warriors from opposing tribes. The implication was that white Europeans were going into the interior of Africa and dragging people out with no assistance from Africans.

15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    And what is the significance of that?