Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Words with racist connotations

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Trickster, Jul 6, 2020.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Throughout most of our history the reality did not match the promise although hopefully that will be changing in the future.

2. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    If I posted that I have just found the cure for cancer 50% of you people would Bitch that I didn’t cure diabetes..... my God our country is so screwed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. stan05

stan05 Premium Member

Jan 19, 2020
    No they wouldn’t, let’s try not to change the narrative.

4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ridiculous and irrelevant.

The appropriate analogy would be that you just found that chemotherapy could help cure some forms of cancer, while causing great pain and sometimes inducing quicker death... and you declared victory over cancer. Nothing more to do. Cancer patients should just shut up and take their chemo.

• Like Like x 3
  5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Let’s take a poll. Who here on this thread has changed his/her mind on this issue?

6. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    SMH. It doesn’t make sense because you think myopically. You see your way as the only way. You want to Cherry pick pieces of history in order to distort history.

7. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    as someone who Personally declared victory over cancer by enduring painful chemotherapy and radiation, I think your post is offensive and ridiculous.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I didn’t claim other nations did not make sacrifices, but I can damn well claim that no other Country has done more for Freedom than the United States. But the irony here is that you claim “let’s not focus on giving America“ the praise it deserves in protecting, while others are arguing “let’s only focus on America” (A very small portion mind you) to bash it for depriving freedom of others. That smells of hypocrisy.

9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Exactly what I quoted you saying. You claimed BLM and black don't recognize that any white person helped end slavery.
    So let me ask again: Do you have any evidence whatsoever that what you claim is true? If so, what is it?

10. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    During the civil war the U.S population was about 31 million. 22 million in the north where slavery was outlawed, and 9 million in the south were slavery was permitted. Of the 9 million, nearly 4 million were slaves. There is no agreement on the % of southerners who owned slaves. Using the 1860 census, some place the number as low as under 2%. The highest I have seen this number is 25% (with no real data to support). It seems most put the number at around 7%. It doesn’t Really matter about the exact number, because when you do the math from the highest numbers, that means that 25% of about 5 million Southerners owned slaves, or 1.25 million. 1.25 million is 4% of the total white population (28 million)

all slavery is bad. No person questions this. And I understand these numbers don’t take many things into consideration. But they DO demonstrate that the vast and overwhelming majority of Americans were not slaveholders. If all of you angry people want to blame all white Americans from 1860 for Slavery, are you willing to accept responsibility and take ownership of the election of Trump? If your neighbor is a racist does that make your entire neighborhood (Including you) a racist? If your father runs a light, are you OK if the police arrest and/or fines you? Slippery slopes.....

11. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Who here has blamed all white Americans in 1860 for slavery?

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

These slopes are all of your making, man. You are the only one who wants to make this about white people.

13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fee did in post 146.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    You do know there are racists that are not white? Racism is not exclusive to the white race. I know thats the narrative now but that don’t make it right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Every single person who supports reparations; every single person who talks about America’s “guilt” for slavery, pretty much 90% of the posters....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    awesome. Let’s take white people out of the discussion. That is an awesome way to end this conversation

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

This will be the 5th time I've said this here, but how does making amends to victims and their ancestors implicate you or 'all white people' as guilty of anything? Reparations has nothing to do with white people. Maybe the problem is you feel like other people receiving some form of justice or being made whole is somehow injuring you? That may say more about you than white people.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    So you can’t point to a single person who has said that here.
    You know, you could make a better case if you didn’t simply make stuff up

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    First of all, I appreciate you actually answering the question with a specific post, as opposed to simply a generic and meaningless response which is what someone else did. Thanks

Post #146:
    Fee certainly used a broad terms 'white folk' and 'their grandparents' but I don't know that means every single one of them.
    It is, I think, too broad a term to use.

20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Disagree a little. He referenced a specific group of people. He hasn't edited his post so my assumption is he's cool with it.