Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Words of Wisdom From Chris Doering

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jul 30, 2022.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    Doering's criticism is VERY MUCH WARRANTED of us Gator fans. We have been to quick to boo players in the Swamp and too hasty to criticize coaching! NAPIER HAS TREMENDOUS POTENTIAL, and our criticism can only be detrimental!!!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I agree. The sports forums have taken on a THFSG air lately.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Agree with other poster. Appears timing is poor to come out on our big recruiting weekend and FNL. Timing appears purposeful. Chris should know better

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I suspect some Gator fans will join this thread and prove him correct. Just wait for it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    In 1982 my Dad scrimped and saved and bought season ticket s in the new south end zone. He took me to the games that years. It was a lot of money for him.
    My first real job, I bought season tickets in 1990. Had them until 2011. At first I took my Dad. When he couldn’t go there was always family or friends begging. Ron Zook, or maybe Mushchamp, ruined that. After those years I literally had a difficult time giving the spare ticket away.
    In other word MR Doering I have earned the right to be critical when it is warranted. Plus I guess he has never met any Miami fans… or FSU fans…
    Thank you

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Those fans have no passion. They don’t even go to the games. Empty stadiums except when they play each other. There were times last year when UM and FSU stadiums were empty during games

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator Premium Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Every fan base, ours included has a small minority of idiots that will bash and be overly critical while operating under a thinly veiled guise of being a Gator fan.

The overwhelming majority of fans are patient, proud and support their team through good times and bad. I believe the players, coaches, alum and fan base know this and filter them out.

After all, the idiots only get traction on social media because they are sensationalized and their comments weaponized by rival media agents.

Debate and respectful criticism is fine, but never give an idiot the spotlight because as the saying goes they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  9. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    That's why I stay out of THFSG-it's Idiotville. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Well I will take 8-4 with a win over fsu. .. Anything less and I will l be disappointed as will most of the fan base. Same goes for every major college program imo.

11. mkfgator

mkfgator Premium Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I too wish every major college football team beats FSU.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

And I think the timing appears purposeful for you to go soak your head. For as long as it takes.

What a crap post, worst ever. Seriously.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Just an opinion but I suspect some nasty fans can make families of coaches feel very unwanted by constant trashing.

This goes way beyond football. But, count on the nasty one to come out as soon as Golden or Napier don't meet their personal standards if excellence.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Sorry President of the Doering fan club. Florida has passionate and loyal fans that average 85,000 fans and over 2 million views each week. Every year we have a top 10 most watched game nationally. Just because some crazy fan (or fan of another team pretending to be a Gator fan) reaches out to a kid via twitter does not mean that 99 percent of our fans are not great. Just because a few fans on a message board vent frustration does not mean that 99 percent of fans are not great. I’ve gone to games for 40 years. Another coaching staff will send that video where Chris, as A former Gator player, says we have the worst fans to HS kids we are recruiting. The fact that this was released during our FNL big recruiting weekend for more clicks is bush league. I expect better of him and all Gator fans. We have one of the top 10 greatest fan bases in the country. Loud fans at games, top 15 in attendance, one of most watched teams nationally. If you want to suck up that is your prerogative, but I won’t let anyone state we don’t have one of best fan bases in the nation based on a few social media posts.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  15. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Timing is Purposeful? He’s answering questions to an interview. He’s giving honest answers. The timing is not his to control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    One can argue we’ve been too slow to criticize coaches. When it’s warranted it’s warranted.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 Sophomore

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    What I have witnessed under Muschamp, Mac and Mullen was NOT fans that were too critical, I witnessed a section of fans on talk radio/msg boards/twitter that know football and could tell something was wrong. Whether it was player development, recruiting, the offense, defense, play calling or not playing younger players or cprrrct players- they called it out and often were WAY ahead of lazy journalists who care more about saving face with UAA or their golf game than actually doing any real journalism or telling the truth.
    Those journalists were highly critical of the critical fans and yet… each and every time- the fans were right. I witnessed a section of the fan base that marched lock step with Musillwainmullen lol and told other gators “you’re hurting recruiting, you don’t know you’re not at practice and who knows better Musillwainmullen or you?”
    And each and every time THEY were just as wrong as the “journalists”. I love Doering but he’s wrong about critical fans. He’s right that we need a long leash with CBN- it’s gonna take awhile…. But these fans will know it’s working if it is and they’ll know it isn’t if it isn’t. If there’s stubborn unwillingness to adjust - they’ll call that out and they will be right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Today, everyone has a megaphone and unfortunately the ones that should use it the least are the ones that use it the most. The vocal minority have amplifiers, and worse, a digital barrier which affords them some anonymity. This allows them to spew things they wouldn’t have the balls to say in person. Sign of the times.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    No winners on this subject IMHO.
    If anyone is deserving and qualified to voice such an opinion, it's Chris, however I don't blame fans taking umbrage about being pigeon holed by his statements either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Nonsense. I’ve been to multiple Auburn games last year. Unreal and unrelenting criticism.

scUM- brutal on Manny. just brutal.

LSU - epic meltdown with Orgre.

Does Doering mix with the trolls of Twitter only? Thats .001 of 1 percent

Im an alum. Been to 300 plus games. 4 Gator club events with CBN.

U didn’t see Doering in the back row.

The mood in REAL LIFE is great. Spring game LIVE was terrific- lots of optimism.

Saw him in the club seats at baseball during the regionals- asked him about CBN- he kept walking. He didn’t give 2 sh*ts about 4 of us, which included an 80s era player. had he spent 60 seconds with us he would know positivity.

Ive sat at the bar at Spurrier’s/ lots of optimism- zero bad. ZERO

F him. Nebraska, ND, scUM, Texas, UTenn, LSU last year, all much much worse.

Gator fandom isnt twitter or The Finebomb show.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3