Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wondering if this opt out bull crap...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by NOTgaGATORanymore, Dec 31, 2020.

1. NOTgaGATORanymore

NOTgaGATORanymore GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Albany Georgia
    ...will usher in the end of bowl games. We had 80% of our receiving yardage guys opt out as well as the best players on a bad defense. The only way these guys play is if we make the playoffs, otherwise they are not interested. This seems like a bad way to treat the school that gave you the opportunity to go to the NFL, but I'm thinking that as long as no one does anything about it this trend will continue. We had no business playing that game last night considering how many impact players we had out. It felt like we brought a knife to a gun fight.

With that said, what kind of precedence is this setting for the future and why would NFL bound players be interested in playing non-playoff games moving forward? It used to be that bowl games were the highlight of a player's season, a reward for a job well done. Now it seems it's just a nuisance for selfish players looking to protect their future, which leaves them little regard for the school that gave them one.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 All American

Oct 9, 2011
    End of season/bowl game opt outs are just one symptom of the much larger problem - that being, for multiple reasons, the inmates are running the asylum.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    They need to revamp how teams schedule during the reg season. NO MORE GAMES against FCS schools. Power 5 schools should only play power 5 schools if were being honest. 9 conference games, 3 non conference games and expand the playoffs to 8 teams. Let’s be real, Ohio State, Clemson and Bama will be in the CFP next year and I bet the last team will still be a mix of UGA, OU, Oregon, or ND.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It will definitely make a 16 team playoff a much more viable discussion for the power brokers of the game.

5. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, end bowl games.

They were only interesting when teams in the top 10 all had a path to win the title based on a domino effect of wins and losses during bowls.

This became less likely in the age of conference championships, which was the first defacto playoff game. The loser had to drop to some consolation game, which I promise was never once exciting.

When the BCS entered the picture, only about 7 bowls were interesting. Now, only the 3 games of the playoffs.

They were invented to generate cash for groups who owned stadiums independent of a college team. They should go

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I agree, except many FCS teams fund their whole program with cupcake martyrdom, though. That's why so many small schools didn't play at all this year... no FBS sacrificial games to put them in the black.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    yea well sucks for them lol. Ratings going to continue to go down as long as they allow things to stay the same.

8. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Yep, things have to change, and, that could be one impact.

9. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This all has to do with the NFL , money and agents and nothing to do with the number of bowl games.
    The presidents of the universities need to hire attorney's and prevent agents from luring players away from the game they are supposed to love before they graduate. These opt out's used to play the game because it was fun. They played HS ball. maybe pee wee but they played for the love of the game , now not so much. Damn shame but it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    what sucks is that, let’s be real, unless something drastic happens....Bama, OSU, and Clemson will be in the CFP next year. Tell me I’m lying lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No they won't. The bowl games bring in huge $$$$. In fact, the bowl games generate more $$$ than all home games a team has. Couple that with the TV deals for the bowl games, and Florida alone looks to reap $6M from a normal bowl season. Covid was the outlier that ruined college football this year. Certainly we won't have to deal with it as much next year, although the offseason could be affected again. It's possible they push the start of the season into the Fall and start Spring camp in the summer.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Everyone is tired of that. Doesn't help the sport either when domination reigns for too long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So here's the breakdown for the 2019 bowl season.

SEC

$66 million base payout

$6 million for LSU’s semifinal berth in the Peach Bowl

$40 million for Georgia’s berth in the Sugar Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the SEC and the Sugar Bowl)

$27.5 million for Florida’s berth in the Orange Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the SEC and the Orange Bowl)

Note: The SEC allows the school participating in the semifinals to keep $2.05 million, with an additional $2.15 million if the team makes it to the championship game. Georgia and Florida will also each receive the $2.05 million participation bonus for the Sugar and Orange Bowls.

But where's Alabama? Didn't they play in a bowl game? So add it all up and the bowl games brought in over $140M to the conference in 2019. That's massive dollars. Bowl games aren't going away but I do see an expanded playoff now to address the opt-outs. Most of the 1st and 2nd round draft picks are going to be in the Top 16 teams so if you expanded the playoff to 16 teams, you might prevent the majority of opt-outs. Additionally, since the NCAA is going to allow players to be paid, they may start paying players who play in the bowl games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The NFL has destroyed college football as we have known it. The virus has definitely made this a weird season, but I don’t see anything changing going forward. There’s a seemingly endless amount of money to throw at these kids and that has apparently become the ONLY thing that matters anymore. If you can’t win the championship why play at all? Represent your alma mater on a national stage? Surely you jest. Play 2 years, opt out of your bowl game, and go make a fortune. Screw the institution and it’s fans who made it all possible. It’s all about me...and all that freaking money.

I can’t even blame the kids for what they’re doing in the face of so much temptation. But if you want perspective on how badly this sport has deteriorated in a short 20 years, would James Bates ‘opt out’ of an opportunity to wear the Orange & Blue in a nationally televised bowl game?

Aside from the obvious deterioration of our values, all that money is the big problem. It comes from us of course - we watch on TV and even go to the games. We don’t set the ridiculous salaries of course, we just feed the monster. TV and advertisers do the rest. We fund the system but have no voice. How about a nationwide boycott of the NFL coupled with a clear message that we want to preserve college football? BWAHAAHAHAHA! Or better yet, how about the NCAA taking a stand and putting restrictions on how the NFL can interact with college athletes? That’s even more far-fetched.

I freaking despise the NFL for what they’ve done to our sport. And I see no way of ever recapturing what it once was. This season was an aberration in many ways, but the writing is on the wall.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Expand the playoffs and there will be fewer opt-outs. When’s the last time you saw a sure fire first rounder opt out of a playoff game? Let alone borderline first day picks opting out like you see now all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. thom1507

thom1507 Junior

Oct 13, 2019
    A couple of notes;

1. A significant amount of coverage before and during the game involved hyping up of the CFB playoff games.

2. Viewing bowls as exhibitions has started to make its way into the thought process of coaches. Mullen approached this game very lax. I can somewhat understand as in they left everything in Atlanta, but that attitude really translated to his players. If coaches are not emphasizing the importance of bowls, then why should the departing players with a mere chance to play in the NFL care either.

17. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's likely where this is headed. ESPN isn't paying big money to have starters sit. There is going to be serious pressure from the network and Bowls to protect the product.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s not the agents fault. It’s the money.

I really have no issue with a certain 1st rounder sitting out the bowl, I have an issue with those 1st rounders that quit within the season, but bowls have always sort of been exhibitions and I think with the amount of money on the line it’s fair to want to sit out a game that has ZERO championship implications. Nothing worse than a guy getting hurt in a meaningless game.

However, what baffles me is the lesser guys who opt out. Especially guys that surely won’t even sniff being drafted. But even guys looking at 3rd and forth round should still be playing. Every year there’s guys making head scratching decisions to declare, it just gets even more mind boggling when they opt out when they have zero or minimal chance of ever suiting up in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    This has been going on for a handful of years.

The reality is the players don’t care about bowl games. Their team goals are rivals, divisions, conference, playoffs and title. Once those goals are off the table its meaningless. You are playing for the following year.

Low end teams may still care about bowls as it’s a legit goal for them. And they won’t have opt outs at this clip since they don’t have high end talent.

We need a larger playoff. Find a way to reward top teams with a bye.

Of course a larger playoff hurts meaning of regular season and conf title games. But those games often have their own meaning (rivals, divisions, titles) so they can hold on their own much better than a bowl game

20. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 All American

Oct 9, 2011
    all but guaranteeing anyone with pro ambitions will not attend your school.

Not that I'm necessarily opposed, but only if done conference wide. I'm ok with putting the student back in student-athlete.