Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(W-TEN) Women's tennis set for matchups at Arkansas and at Missouri + UF's Saturday & Sunday Recaps

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorjjh, Mar 7, 2019.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I said the other day I hoped Roland’s presser had lit a fire under them, and it looks like it did, won both third sets when it mattered, Zein came through in a tight match finally, won the last two, won a 4-3, bottom of the order came through...
    A win vs Arkansas isn’t exactly something to get enthused over, but gotta start somewhere, a lot of positives out of tonight. Hoping they can carry it over the rest of the year.

2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Friday, March 8, 2019
    Gators Handle Hogs, Thornqvist Notches 500th Career Win
    Sam StolteUF Sports
    Women's tennis earns hard-fought win over No. 43 Arkansas on the road as head coach Roland Thornqvist records milestone victory.
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 45 University of Florida tennis team claimed a road victory in dramatic fashion Friday night as it earned a gritty 4-3 win over No. 43 Arkansas at the Billingsley Tennis Center. Friday's win marked head coach Roland Thornqvist's 500th career victory as the winningest coach in program history collected yet another milestone.

The match, which lasted nearly four hours, was an epic battle between two top 50 squads. The Gators, who started off strong by winning the doubles point, fell behind in singles but secured victories on the final two courts to register their first conference win away from Gainesville.
    On earning his 500th career win
    "Two things really come to mind. I have had a great co-captain in Dave Balogh. I have been blessed to have such a phenomenal guy next to me. Secondly, we have had the opportunity to coach so many great players who truly bleed orange and blue and they are responsible for these victories. It's been a blessing to be around so many special teams and talented players over the years."Gators Handle Hogs, Thornqvist Notches 500th Career Win - Florida Gators

Gators Handle Hogs, Thornqvist Notches 500th Career Win - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UF wins doubles point , lost on court 3 but won competitive matches at 1 and 2.
    Missouri has been destroyed in conference play thus far Vandy, UK, and USC. They hadn't won a single doubles match on any court until today vs UF. They have only won one singles match (at #1 vs UK).

4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Must be indoors, only 4 matches underway
    Ida was down 4-0 but wins three straight
    Kessler was up a break but it's 4-3 now
    Emma 3-3
    Zein down 3-4
    Very unimpressive given the opponent

5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ida and Kessler with solid wins at 1 and 2
    Emma score is screwed up on tracker
    Zein 4-6, 7-5, 3-4
    Dmitrova 6-1 2-0...she should be able to close it ut if the other 2 falter
    Berlin slated to play 6

6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Emma 6-7, 7-6, 0-2...shouldn't be a match vs this level opponent

7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Zein loses, Emma about to lose, Dimitrova closes it out....nice weekend for her. 2 wins vs bad teams on the road

• Like Like x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    4-1 final.

Any win right now is a good win, but the schedule starts to get tougher form here.

9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators Sweep SEC Road Swing with 4-1 Win at Mizzou
    Sam Stolte UF Sports
    Women's tennis claims second straight road win, improves to 3-1 in conference play with victory Sunday.
    COLUMBIA, Mo. – The No. 45 University of Florida women's tennis team registered a 4-1 win over No. 41 Missouri Sunday afternoon at the Mizzou Tennis Complex as it picked up its second straight road victory over a top 50 foe.
    Head Coach Roland Thornqvist
    Overall thoughts on match…
    "I think we all know that that there is a lot parity in this league and on this team as well. We are going to have a lot of close sets and we are definitely getting better at closing them out. With how close a lot of the courts were today, it was imperative that we stayed focused and closed out strong. I'm pleased with the way we remained locked in and competed today."
    On doubles play…
    "Getting the doubles point can really give you a boost, and you saw that today. It's important to get off to a strong start, it's not the end all be all, but it definitely helps. It's a different ball game obviously when you need victories on only three singles courts instead of four. I really liked the way we competed in doubles today and I think it helped set the tone."
    Gators Sweep SEC Road Swing with 4-1 Win at Mizzou - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To further speak to my point above,
    The gators have 10 regular season matches remaining and are 6-5. They still have to play:
    #1 UGA (our next match)
    #5 Vandy
    #18 Kentucky
    #13 LSU
    #8 Michigan
    #7 South Carolina

And then A&M who is unranked but 14-2, Tennessee who is unranked but 11-3, Alabama who is unranked but 11-5, and auburn who is 13-5.

Without significant improvement, they aren’t making post season, which is an unthinkable position. And honestly, even with significant improvement it’s not a lock. Some of these teams might fall back, but as of today it’s anything but easy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hoping for a split of the remaining 10, maybe 6-4
    Don't think the matches vs top 10 are winnable, but maybe somehow steal one. Got to win the 4 vs unranked opponents....then it all comes down to LSU and Ky matches. The Miss St debacle is a killer

12. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Isn’t Missouri ranked higher than UF, though?

13. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dont believe so, but with uf ranked near 50 you can be ranked ahead of uf and still be bad

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah I think Mizzou as 41, and us and Arkie were 44 and 45. They were 10-4 I think.
    But the tennis rankings are also pretty jacked until later in the year, outside of the top teams.

15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, Mizzou has no quality wins and demolished when they faced anybody decent.