Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(W-TEN) Women had a rough time in Nassau

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorbogey, Jan 20, 2020.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    One question I’ve always had:
    Why the success in women’s tennis and the comparative lack of success in the men’s program? Until recently, when it has seemingly flipped the narrative? Men are now vying for a title and the women are languishing. Same facilities. Same weather, amenities. What allowed the women to excel? What is allowing the men, now, to surge? Does @hocgators have a theory?

2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Coaching / recruiting would be the simplest answer.

3. G2MGA

G2MGA GC Legend

Aug 30, 2007
    I get the impression that Roland is more talent manager/fitness coach (Embree kind of being the prototype), than player development coach. Probably all college coaches are to an extent and there are certainly a few girls who improved noticeably at UF, but this is my general feeling.

Obviously this proved successful with a talented roster for many years but over time you see that really no UF players from the entire Roland era have done well on the pro tour...well, except for Collins, and she's not exactly a great narrative for the UF staff regardless of the specifics of her situation. Basically I can see why we would be an increasingly tough sell for top US juniors and our international recruiting has always been spotty.

While Embree is a great ambassador for UF and one of the greatest Gators in history no doubt, I'm not feeling like it was a smart hire if you're looking to shake up the staff. I don't know, maybe Roland thought they were getting too old to relate to current recruits, but I'm not sure it's that.