Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Women’s Basketball

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by INGATORSWETRUST, Feb 11, 2018.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Noticed the women’s basketball team lost to South Carolina today in a close game. South Florida upset 13th ranked Ohio State today as well

FSU, Miami, and now USF in Tampa doing well in women’s basketball. Why is the UF basketball program doing so poorly by comparison all these years? Bad coaching choices? Just odd that we do so well in most other sports

2. gene

gene Junior

Jul 26, 2012
    We just made a coaching change in the women's program. Patience is a virtue, Cameron did not have a lot left to work with, part of reason for the coaching change. The team is playing very hard and appears to be well-coached. As C. M. Newton once said "I am not worth a darn coaching bad talent." Here is a good place to pull out the old Gator saying, "wait until next year." Or the year after. Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Give the new HBC a chance.
    As for a history of bad to mediocre women's basketball at UF, blame Jeremy Foley. Carol Ross was probably our most successful coach ever, but she finally had enough of Foley always blasting her for not winning championships. So she left. We've had a string of bad hoops every since, all under Foley's choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    It's been up and down the past 15 seasons. We would have a very good season then follow it up with a WNIT season or a losing season. Haven't been able to consistenly win mainly due to the coaches hired. In about 2 seasons, this program should be back on track to having winning seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    One thing that will help: show up for a game or two, when in town.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ncgator91

ncgator91 Junior

Dec 16, 2017
    Terrible coaching coupled with poor recruiting..or recruiting good talent and then running them out of the program

7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Newbauer has them on the right track, he is working hard on recruiting, current team is down to 8 kids in the rotation, the game in Columbia was probably their best and most complete game, also a very nice rebound after a home loss by 48. I have seen improvement every game and even in the games there and here against a very good Mississippi team where they were out of the game by the half they haven't quit. I think that shows that we have good kids who believe in their coach. We will lose both our Bigs Lorenzen and Hersler and one of our better guards in Anderson. We have some size on the bench and will have a couple of transfers as well. Idon't expect to be world beaters for a couple of years but I like what I see in the coach and his work with the kids.

• Like Like x 2
  8. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    On a lighter note, I remember watching the women play prior to the mens game. I'm not sure what the drive was to split the games part rather than an evening of hoops. Maybe it was the early start time cutting attendance from the top tier schools.

9. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Answer is what it always is--TV (money). If the women start first, there's no way to predict an exact starting time for the men's game.

• Agree Agree x 1