Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

With Toney Back

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by hotelgator, Jan 19, 2020.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Ya' might want to step away from the bottle and read the title of the thread....Toney's back, with a beer back.

2. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As Mullen said, it’s much more difficult to go from 11 wins to 12 wins. The 2020 Gators, if the football health gods are kind, have the potential to take that step. Whether we do so is yet to be determined, but they should be fun to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 183gator

183gator Junior

Nov 17, 2010
    it's time for Dan Mullen to take a trip to Kansas City and have a sit down with Andy Reid - and take some notes on how they feature Tyreek Hill

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Just no injuries please, especially ankle sprains

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    R
    ead the article before I came here actually. The suspense is over.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think that more important than the actual on-field contributions Toney and Slaton will provide by coming back, their return gives us better depth at 2 positions of need and allows some of new guys at WR and D-Line the opportunity to be worked in more slowly.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    What they really need to work on with Toney is his downfield pass catching this off season. I'm not saying he isn't a good downfield catcher, but he's rarely gotten anything more than 10 or 12 yards because he's used primarily as a run option or weapon on the edge. Plus, we had a plethora of great WR's ahead of him who were more of the downfield catching mold. This is where Toney can really have his chance to show the NFL scouts in 2020 what he can really do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think that would certainly help, but I think he really needs to fight for the kick/punt return position. This is where I think he can stand out. He's not likely to be drafted just as a return man or just as a WR, but if he can excel as a return guy and show improvement in pass catching, I think somebody will draft him, but still probably rounds 5-7.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. sflgator05

sflgator05 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't think Toney has the speed to be a downfield threat. He is more of a slot receiver that can catch short passes, make some people miss and hopefully just run forward instead of sideways. I don't know his 40 time but I don't think he was as fast as the senior receivers we had last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know his 40 times or his “football speed”, but he sure looked fast running away from the Miami defenders (who had some good angles on him) in Orlando.

11. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    Grimes was moving a fair bit faster though...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I thought Toney ran sub 4.5's when he got here. Heard somewhere later he ran a high end 4.4.

13. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    I believe that DM will continue to build on the foundation he has already put in place, and that the result will be a strong shot at a berth in the SECCG - and a possible shot at the playoffs. I'll stop short at predicting a NC, but I wouldn't exactly rule it out either. The biggest reason to be optimistic, IMO, is DM. Having a real HC again is the difference between hoping you can get it done and knowing that you will get it done eventually - maybe not this season, but soon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    With his ability to break ankles his times are less of a factor really. Seems like he has a good initial burst. Sadly we haven’t seen him at the second level as much as we’d like.

Hopefully, this year he matures a bit as a route runner and with that should come more consistency. The man’s got skills. If he could add more polish to gain the coaches trust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    In my mind we can move him around, slot, RB,(even if we use him for throwing out of the backfield) Fake/gadget plays, outside WR...
    If we move him around it gives the D coordinator A Lot to game plan for. I could see him giving Kirby indigestion for a few weeks planning for our O in the two weeks prior to Jax.

I see Toney as a wild card that makes opposing teams worry where he might come from....
    CDM can use him in a variety of ways, This is why I see him being a bigger threat next year.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Agreed that Mullen can use Toney in a variety of ways...slot is one...but, I'd love to see him "break the ankle" of any CB trying to cover hin...he could deke the heck out of him...
    Then, put him in as an RB, and confuse the hell out of the other team's defensive coordinator....he could release from there, take a short slant or screen, and then, go break some ankles....

I'm sure that Coach Mullen is gonna work with him...and have quitea few plays for him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. G8tas

G8tas Senior

Sep 22, 2008
    Our secondary play was hit or miss last year. I'm hoping we see an improvement this year

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And isnt UGA losing 9 of 11 starters om offense too? That along w an easier than usual schedule could make for an SEC East Championship ring for UF. Along w an excellent shot at winning the SEC in Atlanta.

I look forward to an exciting season this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Indeed, they are losing 9 offensive starters. Of course they have some dudes in the waiting and their defense should be elite again, but it’s not often a team can lose that much without any drop off. Same for LSU, who is ostensibly our only other super high end opponent for next year.

The door is open.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1