Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

With our inconsistent Pass Rush...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gator715, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    We Need more DEs....

All we have that is proven is Jachai Polite and Jabari Zuniga... both of which could leave after this season...

I know our BUCK position can be filled by an OLB or a DE.... but we were once deep at DE... After this season depending on who stays and who goes... we could be scary thin...

Did not realize how big of a need this was until now... though I admittedly have been distancing myself from the drama of recruiting...

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I’m even more worried about DT’s. They seem to be harder to find and sign. We’ve had little push from the interior DL to keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket. UF has some young DE’s who redshirted that could be players next season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Nothing after that, though...

We'd need to have guys playing out of position...

4. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm hearing that langham may outgrow DE and move to DT. Also that Chatfield has put on some good weight and will be in the DE mix. Don't forget that Dante lang will most likely be at DE also. So off the top of my head you have those two and Zack Carter and I was told Zuniga would probably return. And of course we always seem to be waiting for Clayton to break out also.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Good points Candy. Langham looks 275-285 right now.
    Chat, although short, could be a very good DE.

Zuniga returning would make a ton of sense. Could be a first rounder next year.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    The offer to a big JUCO DE tells me Zuniga is leaving or the coaches aren’t confident in carter and Langham. Maybe both.

Most believe Clayton is gone. He wasn’t dressed again for Missouri.

7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Clayton sure did prove to be a bust.

8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Retire Moms production stopped with all the early fanfare as well

Added comment after South Carolina game: Retire Moms had a nice game. Saw the player from the LSU game yesterday. Best DL yesterday

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  9. username

username Sophomore

Aug 17, 2017
    Is it expected for Clayton to transfer? Any idea?

10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think all the players that intend to transfer seek permission from the program and are added to a list. Hear Louisville has quite a few players looking to move. I heard earlier that Clayton was looking to transfer after year, but perhaps they are giving him redshirt season back?

11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    They are hard to find and harder to evaluate. The disadvantage we have is that top DT talent is always scarce in Florida. Our best interior D linemen in recent years have come from up the Atlantic seaboard. Gotta keep working that area.

12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Not necessarily... It tells me we need more depth, there...

I wouldn't just count Zuniga in on next year's team just yet... All I'm saying is the JUCO target says much more about recognizing a team need than it does about Zuniga... Keep in mind, you'd like to only have freshmen DL play situationally, not as starters...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I've grown to believe that true quality DT talent is scarce everywhere... It's easier to find in certain parts of the country... but there may be 10 guys every year that fit that sort of mold...

Most others are just "guys."

14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Not sure how much is his fault, though... I believe he lost a bunch of weight freshman year... though I forget why... and with Mac's strength and conditioning program, he never recovered...

Very sad story of a guy who had a lot of potential... but was a poor fit for Mac's program...

15. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    We was very sick the summer before he got to UF. Was just over 200 pounds when he reported. Seems like he would have bounced back by now.

16. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    This is Utterly TRUE.

True DTs are the rarest of the RARE. If you look on every recruiting site, you will clearly see that there are fewer of them among the Top 100, among the Top 200, among the Top 300, among the Top 400, among the Top 500, etc., etc. than any other position, and usually by a rather large amount (like half or fewer as many as any other 2 player position).

The number of teams that get more than 1 Top DT prospect in any one season is Very, Very Few, like usually the Top 10 ranked programs for that year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Had an absolute BULL**** call go against him today.

18. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Fuller, Hunter and Pickering are all capable of adding 20-30 pounds and playing effectively inside IMO. They’d all make great flippers and look good in O&B for the next 3-4 seasons.

19. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Those are probably the best prospects for our current scheme. We've had great success in the past with DEs who grew into DTs. Let them put on the weight under supervision of great trainers and position coaches so that they maintain their speed, athleticism and agility. UF's prototype DT is an NFL SSDE. Jon Bullard is playing DE for the Bears at 296 pounds.

• Like Like x 1