Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wishing All the Homophobes a Super Uncomfortable Month, by Mary Katherine Backstrom

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    It really is a matter of taking Jesus at his word when Jesus says, "Woe to the one by whom the temptation comes." That is either true or its false. Jesus said it, so its true. And the context for why these woes are pronounced against those who would lead others into temptation is right there. You bring hell upon others when you lead them into sin. That is what Jesus taught, and that is exactly what happens when a person commits an act of sexual sin with another person. They callously and selfishly choose their own pleasure, and they are willing to sacrifice the other person to hell to get what they want. It is a monstrous act to sacrifice another person to hell to get what you want.

“Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes! And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire. -Matthew 18:7-9

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    First, it is amazing how you are eliminating intent from "the other person" as if they are just automatons. Second, that is not murder according to the bible (as the definition of murder has nothing to do with leading a person into sin but rather is whether you purposefully, and with malice of intent, kill a person by eliminating them from Earth). By your definition, somebody that kills a person who goes to heaven would not be guilty of murder. That is of course, absurd. Third, the claim that it is violates commandments, specifically, against giving false witness.

As I said, this is more about your needs than actually trying to help anybody else. And the condemnation of others to help yourself is also a sin.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Jesus called the devil a murderer from the beginning because he tempted mankind to sin. There are very few instances in the Bible where the devil actually physically killed anyone. What the devil did is bring temptation with the intent to cause another person to sin. That would cause eternal damnation, and that is murder according to Jesus. To lie and purposefully bring temptation upon another person is murder according to Jesus. That is exactly what sexual sin between consensual partners is. It is bringing temptation upon another person like the devil would, and whispering the lie that you won't die, God won't judge you, etc.

You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. -John 8:44

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Trying to change the definition of murderer and doing a bunch of ridiculous attempts to justify it is not helping your soul. I say again that you need to look into yourself to figure out why you clearly need to give false witness in the name of God to advance your needs.

5. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I am just using the word murder in the exact same way Jesus did. Back on ignore you go.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    No, you are pretzeling Jesus' teaching to meet your needs. But, according to you, whoever taught you to do that must have murdered you.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I don't want to be preached to by pro-LGBTQ. I don't want to be preached to by anti-LGBTQ. Every consenting adult, just do what you're going to do and leave everyone else the **** alone.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Go back, and look at the flow of the conversation. It was a conversation between me and JMDZ. He made an argument, and I thought it was a flawed argument. So, I responded pointing out what I believed were the flaws in his argument.

I don't know if you have JMDZ on ignore, but responding to his argument that homosexuality is not addressed in the 10 commandments was the purpose of that post. His point was wrong IMO, but everyone has a right to be wrong.

9. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    These things you've posted convince me of nothing. I have no problems with believers. Indeed, I know it is the way they seek comfort and meaning in their lives. There are a lot of CINO's out there, though. I have no respect for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    So no answer

11. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I'm not religious, but I actually took some classes in theology back in the day. Your interpretation of the 10 commandments is a loose one, to put it lightly. Likening homosexuality to murder is something I'd expect to hear a radical Islamic jihadist say. But even they would get some strange looks from the clerics after making that argument.

• Like Like x 1
  12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I’ve pointed out your closet libbie tendencies several times. I think you’re next up on the Summer Jam screen. :emoji_eyes:

13. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I actually did not single out homosexuality. I also included heterosexual sin between two people as well. I was very careful in my word choice there so as to not single out homosexual sin over and against heterosexual sin.

If you listen to Jesus' words as he talks about the devil being a murderer from the beginning, you have a choice to make. You have to make sense of those words. He was a murderer from the beginning, but there is also an implied continuous nature to the act. Who did the devil murder at the beginning? And how did he do it? How did that act continue into the present in the times of Christ?

Then in the New Testament it says:

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. -1 Peter 5:8

How does that continue even after the ascension of Christ? How does the devil devour a person? What does that entail?

Is he running around with a pitch fork stabbing people to death? Is he running around and literally eating people alive? Or was Jesus referring to something else? I believe Jesus taught that the devil's actions in the garden were murder. I think that is what he meant when he said the devil was a murderer from the beginning. He unleashed sin and death on the world by successfully tempting Adam and Eve. The lies he whispered to get them to take the bait of sin was the murder Jesus was referring to.

Now that might not fit neatly into our legal understanding of the word murder, and I am not suggesting people should be legally prosecuted for consensually fornicating or choosing to live a homosexual lifestyle. I am not even suggesting any change to our legal system whatsoever. I am simply saying Jesus spoke of people who tempted other people to damnation as murderers. I don't think that should be controversial because that is obviously what Jesus meant when he called the devil a murderer from the beginning.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I don't have a theological position but appreciate that you don't believe our laws should necessarily be established by the Bible. Naturally, if people were locked every time they had lust in their heart, were greedy, prideful, etc., there would be no one to run the prisons.

15. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Bible believers are hanging from the rafters on this thread. Appreciate that all of you are keen to understand what God’s enscripturated revelation, to man, has to say about homosexuality.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022