Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wiseman eligible.... ineligible...????

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 8, 2019.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Any time rules get broken, someone's always gotta bring up their opinion about what's wrong with the rules instead of what's wrong with the action like Vitale does every chance he gets on tv. I'm sure most here have moved from state to state, it certainly didn't cost anywhere near 11 grand. This is just the tip of the iceberg for that staff most likely. Memphis knows they have to buy players to win there. It's very unethical. Now if the NCAA could just make the rules consistent to everyone, like LSU, that'd be great.

2. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    It sends the wrong message entirely. Should I rob someone if I know I can get away with it? I really need the money and the system in America is corrupt, so why not?

3. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Cesspool of an organization that I cannot wait to see crumble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Can't help but laugh that one of the guys who starred in Blue Chips is now the coach caught up in this 25 years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    LSU laid the groundwork with Wade last season. Just tell the NCAA to piss off and nothing will happen. NCAA is toothless

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I said, as the rules are, Wiseman should be ruled ineligible. Wiseman received an impermissible benefit. I do think its worth pointing out the fact that this is, from my perspective, a questionable rule in the first place. You can disagree and some will agree with you. Some will agree with me though also. I DO think Wiseman shouldn't be able to play college ball until there is some sort of restitution agreement with the NCAA, given that this is what the current rules are.

Whether its for moving expenses or not (doubt anyone believes it was), its impermissible.

7. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    No but that analogy doesn't work on several levels (robbing someone harms them - does injustice to someone's life).

I'm not saying that anyone should do anything just because the punishment isn't big enough to outweigh the benefits of doing it. But what does it say about the NCAA's role in enforcement if all they can do is something that the school deems worth it anyways? It means they're not effective. We've all said it about the NCAA, at times at least, for a while. Now a school is saying it to the NCAA's face.

8. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    How about the fact that Wiseman's attorney is a guy named Leslie Ballin!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. merinker

merinker Senior

May 28, 2019
    Ok and THIS is an example of that? WAT

10. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Actually Sweaty Bruce started it last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    This is a case in which I don't expect the player to be aware of the conflict, but rather the coach. The NCAA should suspend Penny, or deem him ineligible for a year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gottapanda

gottapanda All American

Jul 22, 2008
    Just declared ineligible. He will be allowed to practice with the team but will not play in games while they await reinstatement by the NCAA.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So whats the penalty for them playing him in their first couple games?

15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This to me is about one thing: what can the NCAA figure out to keep the semantics towards "amateur ball" in basketball. The tournament is where they make all their money. If they can come up with a good line then Memphis will get things rolling. But if the NCAA has been painted into a corner then Memphis is going to go down.

Probably it is going to be one of those drawn out court things that no one is going to remember why it got started in the first place.

16. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  17. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    What suspension was Penny Hardaway hit with for giving him the money??

18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Meanwhile, Will Wade got himself another 5-star.

19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It isn't over for Memphis. Might get hit with the death penalty. It's because they chose to play him the 1st 3 games. In all, he's the one taking the beating and from all sources, he's the most innocent. 100% of the punishment so far is to him, not Hardaway or Memphis. I think that will happen - Hardaway will get fired, then the AD, then Memphis will lose their basketball program for 3 years.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I wouldn't cry for them, personally, but I don't see this happening. They'll appeal and I bet there's a slight reduction in games missed by Wiseman.

Penny should be looked at for 2 things: Was he forthcoming with his knowledge of giving Wiseman benefits and his responsibility for playing an ineligible player. The school handled this situation horribly, it seems, and is paying the price. For the dollar amount, I think the punishment is worse than what it should have been.

Anyone else find the repayment system dumb or is it just me? If a kid isn't eligible, then don't clear him to play. If his penalty is sitting out a number of games, then he's paid his price. Actually repaying money that he didn't exactly steal is a joke. No one was hurt in what happened. There doesn't need to be some charity getting money in the name of trying to erase some "sin" from the past.

And, while these ARE the rules, why can a coach hire a players family member like we see all the time? That's not a recruiting inducement? If we're going to have dumb rules, lets apply them consistently at least.