Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wiseman eligible.... ineligible...????

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 8, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    an injunction has him playing tonite, but it doesn’t look good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    "We cheat and we're proud of it and we're going to cheat and there's nothing you do to stop us." -- Memphis University.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I kind of liked that Memphis came in and started pooping all over UK and Duke's 5 star buffet. I'm sure I'll be sick of them in a year but for now I enjoy it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Oh well, Wiseman can sit back and train for the NBA, screw the NCAA.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Isn't this more or less what happened with Zion? Memo to Memphis: Don't you dare try and pull the same stuff as Duke and expect to get away with it. You are, after all, in the AAC not the ACC.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    There is really nothing to see here. It was clearly caused by an unintentional math error which could happen to any of us. Sure his family was paid $11,500 to move from Nashville to Memphis, but it is not a big deal if you ask some easy questions.
    1. How far is it from Nashville to Memphis? 211 miles.
    2. What was the IRS standard mileage rate 2 years ago? It was .545 per mile (fifty four and a half cents).
    3. Is it easy to sometimes, especially considering the stress of such a big move, easy to confuse cents and dollars? Absolutely.
    4. What is $54.50 times 211 miles? $11,500.

There you go.

Let the person who has never made a math error cast the first stone. This was just an innocent error that any of us could have made.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    Nice one jrc. Of course, if you've ever done taxes, you realize that the IRS allows all sorts of expenses when a family is moving. Almost never would add up to $11,500 for 211 miles, but a lot more than the $115 for mere Auto Expense. Really, for a Tax Consultant (which I did professionally for 2 years, and for friends for about 40 years), it's Moving Expenses that gain you a lot of clients because most people end up with large refunds due to the Moving Expense offset against income. Additionally, many people more for higher paying jobs which means more available $$$ to them, so they really look at you positively.

9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Penny is a booster for Memphis. Can’t pay 11,000 plus in relo expenses to Memphis

10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Simple solution: Place Memphis on probation, effective immediately, with forfeiture of all games they play with or without Wiseman.
    You know he's the head coach, right?

11. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    He wasn't when he "loaned" the money to Wiseman...he was named HC shortly thereafter....

12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Whether booster when an AAU coach or HC now, you can’t give $11,000 or more to move a player and his family to Memphis and potentially influence his college choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I bet Memphis will regret their decision to play him. NCAA will get the final say in this and it may be a post season ban.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Seemed a bit strange he was able to play last night (or that the university said screw you to the NCAA). Penny pretty much openly admitted to paying his family's $11k moving expenses. Wonder with all the states allowing players to get paid for using their likeness, if this is the start of schools thumbing their noses at the NCAA for payments such as these

15. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    They have been reducing what is deductible related to moving expenses in recent years and under the new law in 2018 and forward only military can take moving expense.

16. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Memphis can keep playing him but if the NCAA doesn't have to let you in the tourney which is the ultimate card to be played. Players will not go to Memphis if they can't play in the tourney, they can get paid by Duke, Kansas, UK and the rest of the blue bloods and still play in the tourney.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. merinker

merinker All American

May 28, 2019
    Lol what did the NCAA do wrong here?

• Like Like x 2
  19. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I'm pretty torn on this whole Wiseman thing. Maybe not torn but do feel two ways about it.

1). Wiseman clearly SHOULD be ineligible. Even Memphis isn't contesting what the NCAA believes he took money for. Penny being the coach, or even a past booster, doesn't even technically matter. It just makes this story even juicer. Memphis is doing the exact opposite of how other programs handle these types of situations. When the NCAA states that a player's eligibility is in question, other schools sit that player, maybe investigate if needed, and apply for reinstatement. This is simply what is done. This is even what is done in cases where the school thinks the player should be eligible. Maybe the exceptions were Smart at LSU and Ayton at Arizona last year but that was late in the year and those players would have likely been ineligible for a long time. Memphis isn't playing the game.

2). I kinda like that Memphis is doing the "middle fingers up" approach to the NCAA though. Per the rules, Wiseman shouldn't be elligible (granted, 11 grand shouldn't make him ineligible all year). But I don't think this should be the rule in the first place and part of me likes that this could be a catalyst for change.

Think about it. The NCAA just essentially told Memphis not to play Wiseman and Memphis is saying F-you we're playing him anyways! There really isn't anything the NCAA can do about this either. Per Gary Parrish, who interviewed college compliance people and AD's, per the NCAA's rules, they can send a letter of inquiry and then a NOA - to which Memphis has 60 days to respond. No one seems to believe the NCAA can act in real time and really impact Memphis's year this year. Its possible that all that comes of this is that Memphis later vacates whatever they do this year and it appears they're content with this. Crazy situation.

20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Except that those other schools actually sit players who the NCAA tells them to sit.

I'm also not sure the NCAA could/would keep Memphis from the tourney this year. I imagine they could in theory but it'd have to mean acting with speed they've never shown before.