Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Williams to Miami

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by rogocop, Feb 5, 2020.

1. raygravesghost

raygravesghost GC Legend

Aug 13, 2019

My point is while its true that the average size of an NFL safety is 5-10 200 that has little to do with Avantae Williams ability to play safety at the collegiate
    level or says anything about his ability to put on weight in college.

The first thing I disagreed with in your post was the idea that no good safeties were under 200 lbs
    "Can’t ever remember a good college safety under 195 lbs." and "My point is nowadays you never see good to great safeties under 195-200."

So I sent you two Gator safeties...one on the team right now that are under 200 lbs.

I would also add this guy...do you think he was or is a good safety?

[​IMG]
    Tyrann Mathieu
    Tyrann Devine Mathieu (Honey Badger)

Position: CB

5-9, 190lb (175cm, 86kg)

Team: Kansas City Chiefs

Born: May 13, 1992 (Age: 27-273d) in New Orleans, LA

College: LSU (College Stats)

So to act like good safeties under 200 lbs don't exist anymore is a little hyperbole.

In addition to that you seem to be mixing things up a bit when you went to the combine data

Just for giggles...

Those are the heights and weights listed for guys at the end of their college careers
    That data has almost nothing to do with the discussion of Avantae Williams BEFORE he starts college...

Why?
    You took a sample of the top 12 Safety prospects and use that to support your claims about the size of the "average" safety

How many people play safety every year? Over a thousand...
    Is 12 really a representative sample size to make claims about the general population of safeties?

Those 12 are the best of this year...when you look at the combine invites you looking at the best of the best that year

Not really surprising that they have prototypical measurables...That's one of the ways they get invited to combine to begin with...

When you make statements about "the average" you can't look at a top 10 list and say "See, I'm right..."

But non-representative sample size aside, its also not a proof of the original premise of your post

You would need the High School height & weights of players who ended their college careers as a safety and see how much they grew
    over the course of their college careers to assess the likelihood Avantae Williams will gain 25-30 lbs

Do you even know what was the average weight gain of those combine safeties was that you cite as proof?

What if they were all 160 dripping wet as high schoolers and over 4 years by the combine weighed 190?

So that's what I was getting at...very good under 200 lbs safeties exist in the NFL so they surely exist at the D-1 level and the data you posted didn't really confirm anything about Avantae Williams likelihood of gaining weight...

BTW - You claim to be a Shawn Davis fan...but also think he isn't even "good or great". Davis is a good college safety right now...

(Remember you said they good ones don't exist under 200...)

Same waffling about guys who weigh 180-190 versus 195-200

You were the one who chose to make the statement about weights...

But when they don't work for you seem to throw aside what you claimed quite effortlessly

Convenient ;)

But in general...yes I agree most starting safeties in the NFL are 200 lbs...but that doesn't mean they were that way when they left HS

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    The turn(s) this thread has made lol

3. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Remind me not to piss you off

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    +1 for proper use of alumna and alumnae

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Comparing Black and Davis is a major stretch. Hyperbole lol!!!

I said “not ready to crown him a star”. He’s an average safety that would benefit from playing more and adding size. Meaning he could be a very good college safety if he played more. Can you deny there were several games when he did not play more than 50% of the snaps? If he was very good like you assert do you think he’d come back? You realize the NFL agreed right with his grade/predicted draft position?? Has the potential to be Very good as a senior if he plays more and adds a little weight.
    Did Ahmad ever come out??

Just because I like Davis doesn’t mean I’m going to say he’s a very good safety if he’s not. I say that in reference to your comment “ you say your a Shawn Davis fan”.

How many others in the NFL besides Matthieu are under 200??

I’ll answer for you since you said very good safeties under 200 pounds exist in the NFL…

B/R NFL 1000: Top 85 Safeties

11/85 under 200 lbs. =12.9%
    And of that number 11 only 4 were in the top 30, so that is 4 out of 85 or 4.7%. So technically, you are correct about very good safeties existing in the NFL that weigh under 200 pounds it’s just that the percentage is so low they’re hard to find. I only mention that because you brought up the honey badger and I’d be glad to look up 50, 60 or even 70 more college safeties for you.

Btw your comment about some of the safeties weighing 160 pounds dripping wet as a senior is pretty far off base too. Maybe 170-175 but not many 160 pounders. Yeah, I know you can go find 2 out of 100 and not consider the percentage.

Again, the days of us being 183 pounds safeties like Black are just about gone. Remember he wasn’t an average safety but a great safety. Convenient and waaaay off base with the comparison. Honestly can’t believe you compared him with Davis. SMH

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Kinda hard to disagree with yet not impossible.

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    So 12% in the nfl, surely much larger peeve have a shot I college. Surely straight out of hs kids don’t need too hit the brakes just yet. I’ve never liked the prototypyical stats by the way.

9. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The actual average NFL Defensive Back (including safeties) is just under 6 foot and 200 lbs so the average safety in the NFL is going to be quite a bit heavier than 200 lbs. You are correct we have no idea how successful Williams will be in putting on good weight but he has a decent size frame so he will surely put on a decent amount of weight. The kid loves to hit so with some good weight he will create some havoc on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    <<<opens door, is this where the party is?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. rogocop

rogocop Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Greenville, SC
    Tae has made his choice, it is what it is…..but it is comical to visit Caneinsight for a foray into the world of the Irrelevant, Childish and Ignorant. I love that they have, to date, 1348 pages, that’s right over a thousand pages devoted to the Florida Gators and our so called tears. Actually those are tears of joy that we are not entrenched in the mediocrity that is Miami. We are so in their heads, it is great to see them wallow in their in their own slop they call football and try to make themselves feel superior by utilizing what they think are such clever names like Gaytors, Ufag and Mullet….epic Middle School humor…. and I love it when they say we are afraid of them and dodge them….comical…..they need us much more than we will ever need them. They are in desperate need of rivalry games since all they really have is FSU (well I guess you could count FIU) and we have FSU, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU…..

They have been “whistling past the graveyard” since they joined the ACC in 2004 and were going to garner multiple division and ACC titles. They were going to dominate the ACC and yearly compete with FSU for ACC and national championships. How is that working for ya’ ? In 16 years, 1 divisional title and zero, zip, nada ACC crowns….Wow

Perhaps the most comical time of year comes when the great rivalries take place around Thanksgiving with Auburn-Alabama, Michigan-Ohio State, USC-Notre Dame, Oklahoma- Texas, Clemson-South Carolina, Virginia-Va. Tech., the Egg Bowl, Kentucky-Louisville, Georgia-Ga. Tech, of course Florida-FSU and yes even UCF-USF, but none bigger than that heated rivalry that tops them all in Miami and Duke…Oh My ! Are you kidding me….how embarrassing….I will spare them on the exiguous attendance as that speaks for itself....

Miami athletics has won 21 National Titles in their history and since they won the football championship in 2001, Florida has garnered 25 National Titles (41 total) and 18 in the last 10 years. They have won one title since that 2001 championship in….get this…..Roller Hockey…..Bwaahaahaa……

No matter how they try to slice and dice it, the spin doctors will not be able to make the University of Miami more relevant in the college athletic landscape than the University of Florida. They continue to try and throw shade on the Gators, which is like Rosanne Barr criticizing a supermodel for having one ear lobe longer than the other….. Ironic that one of the top hit singles in 2001 when they won the hardware last was Alicia Key’s hit Fallin’ which is what they have been doing since…..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    South Carolina has more ACC titles than Miami

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1