Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. We are transitioning to serving all web pages over SSL (from http to https) for a more secure experience. You may need to log out and back in if you have issues. Thanks for your patience : ) P.S. TapaTalk app users may need to log out, force reload of the app, and log back in for new settings to kick in.

William Barnes

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, May 15, 2017.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thought this young man deserved his own thread. 6'5 290 , 4* Army All American. Team mate of Martez Ivy. Projected by 247 to UF. Ranked #4 OT prospect, Ranked 4 National recruit by 247. Grew up as fan of Tebow. Speaks with Davis daily. Will visit UF again on 6/3. Claims UF, Ohio State, UNC and Auburn are after him the hardest.

My take. UF is in great shape with Barnes. I don't see fsu as the main competition here but rather Auburn.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. UFGator05

UFGator05 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    He is going to enjoy playing under the lights at the Swamp

• Like Like x 2
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's one of the first players I penciled in for the up coming class. He will get the ball rolling on a historic OL class.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not for nothing but our ear to the ground in Apopka (apkgator) said unless something outlandish happens Barnes will be a Gator.

Apkgator said Barnes had a subpar jr year but he fully expects him to pick it up this year. This kid has so many tools. Im excited to watch this kid improve over the next 6 - 7 months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ltraz

ltraz GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2013
    Not to highjack a thread about a specific player, but what do some of you guys that really follow this think our oline board looks like?

Barnes and Petit have to be up there, but where does it go from there? Would we take gouraige, campbell and/or unije with the thought that two slide inside? Do we have a shot at salyer? Is Reed still a possibility (I know he committed)? Dunlap? Clement? Wonnum?

With all those possibilities we should just have Nord recruit oline for a cycle and Davis can try to get us a TE. Nord couldn't strike out on all of them!!

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  6. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Not sure about most of them but read on TOS that we lead now for Clement. TIFWIIW.

7. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    I think we take 4 in the class (at least, but I think that's the number we end up with).

Barnes is a must get. Losing out on him would be a blow.

I think we get Unije, Clement, and any of the others you mentioned. I hope we land Unije just to break the IMG curse.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ltraz

ltraz GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2013
    But do we take him is my question. Let's say we get Barnes and Petit. Then get Clement (#7 OG) as ghost just mentioned we might lead for him. Who's the 4th?!?! This is obviously a good problem to have. I'm just curious.

9. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    Traz, I think we'd take both. We'll squeeze an extra OL, DT, and/or QB into this class (and most classes) if we can swing it. And after only getting 2 in the last class I think we can afford to take up to 6 OLs. I expect a transfer or two (OL's) and possibly Ivey and another OL leaving early. So it's not out of the questions. Hell, there might even be a JUCO or transfer out there they're looking at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm a big fan of Campbell from Dr Phillips HS, also real interest in the other Apk lineman Ed Montilus. Will be interesting to see who the staff pushes for. The general feeling is the IMG kids on OL are a bit overated

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. I like Unije alot but I do believe he has a long way to go. I also like Dunlap but hes a bit of a project...that can really play.

We need 4 high quality kids on the OL including Barnes and Montilus. We have some excellent options.

12. hypatia

hypatia GC Legend

Mar 29, 2017
    It's the athleticism, as well as skillset and motivation that's key.

If there is one thing that is very, very clear about Coach Mac after 2 classes with some playing time, his cut off for offers is Athleticism at most positions. Unfortunately, in the OLine, there are a fairly limited number of highly athletic big men, thus, at least the first year, they had to take some who didn't have that superior athleticism. With enough work and time, such kids can be adequate, but you ain't likely to handle Bama's DLine without superior athleticism.

13. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    Good points on the athleticism. I wonder if signing one or two "smaller" OL's, like in the 275-280 range (who can put on weight in college) would be the way to go. They'd obviously need a redshirt, but at the lighter weight they'd likely be more agile and athletic.

14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fyi apopka spring game next week will be against Lingard, looking forward to the matchup

15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hope Coach Davis can convince a few of these kids to climb aboard and help recruit others to the program. Seems to have a lot of energy/passion for the game, and the ability to relate to HS kids. Hopefully he is able to quickly develop relationships with families/kids/HS coaches and get a few of these kids to join the Gator Nation. We need a few back to back great OL classes with 4 star kids to turn our offense around

16. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax GC Legend

Jan 26, 2016
    Campbell commits to scum. Hope we're looking solid on the higher ranked guys on the coaches' board.

• Like Like x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Really wanted him.
    My question on Barnes and others that we are supposed to be getting is when??
    This is a huge huge opportunity for us to have a monster class. Mac has been building relationships and this is the class everyone agrees that Mac should produce a top 5-6 class. Words I've heard over and over are "Mac on a level playing field with other coaches". To me and reading what I've read the past year I thought the following were/would be Gators:

Reed
    Unje
    Barnes
    Dunlap
    Campbell

3/5 would be fine and add in two others.
    Losing Reed to me was big. Hope some way we can turn him back to the Gators.

18. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 GC Legend

Jan 1, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Would be another "Great Wall" at UF.

20. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Fields posted "something happening" too but not wrt him. Might be the same thing Barnes is talking about. I'm guessing it has to do with Corral but who knows.