Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will Yeguete Article

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by noahswatt, May 22, 2020.

1. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. Every program is going to have some early NCAA exits. For example, Duke, under Coach K, has had 10 appearances where they lost in either the first or second round. That said, the 2001-02 UF team had a surprisingly “unfulfilled” season. That team featured three long-time NBA players in Haslem, Bonner and David Lee (and also had Brett Nelson and Justin Hamilton), but still lost like seven games on the final possession that season, including against Creighton in the first round of the 2002 Tournament. With the way that year ended, it had to be Billy’s most frustrating seasons at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I think that Creighton game was the single most unlucky loss in Gator basketball history and essentially scarred me for life! :eek::(:cool:

There were about half a dozen things in just the last 30 seconds that came achingly close to going our way, any of which would have won the game for us.* And, that was after some bench player of theirs went off in the 2nd half with an incredible offensive display to keep Creighton in the game. And, that kid still had to hit a double-clutch, NBA-range 3-pointer at the buzzer to win it.

* - Most frustrating was Hamilton poking the ball away from the Creighton dribbler with a few seconds left, and Hamilton could have grabbed the ball if the Creighton dribbler hadn't grabbed Hamilton to keep him away from it, but the obvious foul wasn't called. :mad: And, then David Lee came a diving fraction of an inch away from saving that same loose ball to I think Nelson, but the refs ruled the ball had hit the sideline. That gave Creighton the chance for their final play. Ugh!!!

3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Closest comp I can think of is Alex Tyus.

4. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Andrew DeC

5. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Don't forget the mid-season desertion by Drejer.

6. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    True.

7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for posting!

loved Will! Glue guy, Unselfish, did the hard work and did it well for 6-7" and don't forget Will was plagued by injury and still gutted it out.

Arguably the most underappreciated Gator hoopster of all time!

• Like Like x 3
  8. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes.....Drejer....."The Danish Pastry".

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Drejer, that POS. Vernon Maxwell could have massacred a city block and he still would be looking up (or down) at Drejer as a Gator deserving society's loathing. Not even close.

10. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    I really loved that team, that darn Shabazz Napier and other guy was just a bad match-up for us.

11. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeguette was a good role player at UF but to say he improved greatly over his career is a stretch. He played little his FR year but as a SO, Yeguette had his best season by far statistically averaging 6.3 rebounds per game and shooting 58% from the field. His SR stats to compare dropped to 5.2 rebounds per game and a lowly 43% from the field (averaged 4.9 points). Yeguette hustled and brought energy but he didn’t exactly bring much on the offensive end of the court as that part of his game never really developed in his four seasons on campus.

12. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Bonell Colas

13. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

I seem to remember Will playing hurt most of his senior season?