Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will we see more of Bassett going forward?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 22, 2020.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Of the 3 reserve big men he had the best game going by the stats.

None of them scored but Bassett had 1 block and 2 boards in limited play.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I think we will. Gives us more fouls to help Blackshear and if he's going to guard the right guy on defense he's doing more than some of other bigs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Which brings to mind the play when we had 3 guys on one and left the outside shooter open.

4. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    Judging by 2nd half PT, nope

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Right now I have no idea what our backups are at the 4 and 5 spots. Trouble is I don't think the coaching staff knows either. Is it Payne or Jitoboh or Bassett? You would think that Bassett would know more about our offense and defense than the two freshmen even though he is limited in size. But size usually matters in basketball.

6. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I trust him the most right now of those guys, but Jitoboh at times has provided them some decent minutes. Have no idea what happened to Payne. Seems a little lost right now. Not sure why he's posting up. Need him crashing the boards, always scared he's going to get called for illegal picks and at times he misses assignments defensively. Our best games seem to come when he plays well, but that hasn't happened a lot since the Auburn game. If Payne isn't playing well, I would play Bassett.

7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    It’s good to get him back into the line up and rotation. His absence/ injury has helped develop Payne and especially Jitoboh - which will pay dividends in the future.

I always like “going big” - having that option for a few possessions. With Bassett back, we can go big more frequently, if warranted.

• Like Like x 1
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Glad to have them all.

I thought we are (and I assume will continue) seeing more of Bassett, because he's healthy now.

Payne can be the most impactful, particularly when he's skying high to block shots, but needs more consistency. I think he got in White's doghouse a bit for missing assignments at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may make a "suggestion" to Coach White, both Bassett and Jitoboh represent 10 total fouls and some semblance of stoutness and height for rebounds or blocking out. I sincerely do hope he is prepared to use these cards in his hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    It comes down to matchups and who is playing well, with Payne being the first guy off the bench.

11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep. He's seldom out of position on defense. Freshmen are frequently.

12. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Gators will go back to having a center that can’t score other than a dunk next season. Payne showed potential in a few games but lately doesn’t get enough minutes to break a sweat. Sorry, but I’m done with White. It just aggravates me to the core to see this program digress with him as coach. Sunshine pumpers disagree all you want. I’ve seen enough basketball to know a good coach and Mike White is mediocre at best. If the Gators manage to sneak into the dance, it will be either one and done or two wins at best. Sad season for a team with the talent to make a Final Four.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    2 wins and a sweet 16 run and your done with this coach?
    If your interested in seeing CMW successful and improve along with this young team your a sunshine pumper...

If your positive and hopeful your just a full of it pumper lol

Open a window in that Gray dreary world your living in!!

Go Gators

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    I don't think it's anything more than the "freshman wall". Just think back to Noah, Parsons and Cheeze as examples in their 1st year. I think he will become a big factor for UF, but he needs more seasoning, imo

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Here’s a deal for you. If the Gators make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament, I won’t post here again. If they don’t, you never post again. Deal?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Payne's issue has been energy and effort. If he can't provide that why should he be given minutes?

1 rebound in 24 minutes against MSU? Following that game he saw his minutes decrease. Really not hard to understand why.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Is that all you got? You must not have much imagination you just keep repeating the same old stuff on every thread. Go get a life or another team why don't you?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Couldn’t agree more… Jitoboh eats crazy space and is a tough kid. Bassett is sound defensively, can truly guard bigs, and crashes the boards offensively really well. I’m pleasantly surprised at Jitoboh’s progress and would go this far-Both guys could give us five or six points and five or six rebounds if they get 12 to 15 minutes. Both are big and physical enough and hang around the basket enough where they will grab some rebounds and go up in score or at least draw fouls. Their are aggressive nature suits them very well as I feel we are missing this defensively. Heck, I’ll go farther with them playing 10 minutes each and playing hard we beat LSU and possibly teams like Kentucky. Both can be rim protectors. Add them in with Keyontae and I could care less if we are a little bit more limited offensively because the three of them would or could control the boards and make this a very good defensive team. Key plays like that every game driving and truly hitting the boards and we are hard to stop. Blackshear is very limited defensively and at times physically and needs help inside.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Make that 15 fouls if you include Payne. Blackshear will need at least 25 minutes against LSU.