Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will we ever catch Georgia?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by UF67ee, Jul 25, 2018.

1. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    THOMASTON —
    Travon Walker made his college commitment from a small gathering at the Fine Arts Center at Upson-Lee High School on Tuesday night.

His decision came down to Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia and South Carolina. The 5-star DT prospect chose UGA as part of a live broadcast that was streamed across several outlets.

ADVERTISING
    The decision will now mean several things for the Bulldogs going forward:

• It adds the fourth prospect with a 5-star rating to the 2019 class. Georgia is the only program this year with four elite 5-star prospects. LSU and Oklahoma are the only programs with two prospects with that coveted 5-star rating.
    • Walker gives the Bulldogs a huge in-state commitment at a major position of need. The Bulldogs add the nation’s No. 2 DT prospect on the 247Sports composite rankings. He’s also seen as the nation’s No. 26 overall prospect nationally on that same scale.
    • The senior from Upson-Lee High School is a three-sport athlete. He played on a state championship basketball team and also made the state finals in the shot put this year at the Georgia High School Association state meet.
    • He will not enroll early. His two-time defending state champion Knights haven’t lost a game on the basketball court in two seasons. Walker will aim to extend that 63-game win streak going forward during his senior season.
    • Georgia has a dire need to shore up the DT spot with elite talent in its 2019 class. Walker checks that box. Clearly.
    • The 6-foot-5, 275-pound prospect is a major coup that will enhance the recruiting reputation of defensive line coach Tray Scott. The Bulldogs had missed on a few of the state’s top defensive line prospects (Derrick Brown, Aubrey Solomon) over the last few cycles.

Walker is an intriguing prospect. While he rates as the nation’s No. 26 overall recruit on the composite scale, his singular 247Sports rating shows off an even more impressive rating.

That site now ranks Walker as the No. 1 player in Georgia for this cycle and as the No. 7 prospect overall nationally.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sucks right now, but Kirby is capitalizing on the new guy bump after a Cinderella season as the lone program in a state that is absolutely loaded this year. Mucho momentum, but not fatal for UF.

Someone was bound to emerge as good in the SECe after a weak run by the powers. Unfortunately we rolled snake eyes twice in the interim. Mullen is going to need to rise to the occasion, but it's not happening overnight.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. rawgator22

rawgator22 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Asheville, NC
    It’s going to take years to bridge the talent gap, and that’s assuming our recruiting goes to the next level and theirs cools down a bit.

Bottom line is Mullen and co are going to have to show some masterful on field coaching performances in Jax in order to compete for at least the next 3-4 years. We are going to see uga teams that look physically similar to the alabama teams of the last 6-7 years.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Ever is a very long time. But Bulldogs are setting themselves up well for a long run of dominance. Georgia High Schools are dominating the 5-star and high 4-star talent (especially if you take away IMG), and UGA is capitalizing on that. They're taking that momentum nationally too. Here it feels like we are gasping for oxygen waiting for our rivals to make mistakes, while making a ton ourselves. Frustrating...

That said I think Mullen will be a very good coach, who once he gets it going will be good for 9-10 wins most years, with an occasional Cinderella that gets further.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Its a cycle.

It is very rare that a school dominates for 10+ years with the same coach. Kirby entered the perfect storm -- he inherited a great roster with a lot of talented seniors, the state of GA is producing a ton of highly rated kids and he is cleaning house, his SEC East rivals are rebuilding, he has a rabid fan base AND his school is loaded with $$$$.

Mullen has the chops to compete with Kirby but it will take two highly rated classes to go toe-to-toe with them. Being the hunted is exhausting ... being the hunter is exciting. I think Mullen will thrive as the hunter and will close the gap in 2 years.

My concern:
    The talent pool is extremely strong in the state of GA...and will continue to get stronger. I have coached feeder ball in North Fulton/East Cobb for 11 years. In GA, we start playing tackle in kindergarten and these kids get high school quality coaching from age 5 to age 18. I've watched the Florida youth leagues and they are not on the same level. The state of Florida has the numbers (and superior talent) but the leagues are more recreational than developmental ... so there are more highly rated kids in the state of GA ... and more college-ready kids. Emory Jones came from a tiny little school in LaGrange and he will see meaningful reps this year. Justin Fields, Jake Fromm, etc...

Anyway - I hate seeing my Gators in a 10-year rebuild but I'm confident Mullen will have us competing soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No...probably not within the next 5-10 years.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Junior

Jan 1, 2013
    Palatka FL
    This is a bigger deal than it seems. In addition Florida continues to lose great coaches to Georgia and other states who pay much more money and invest heavily into their football programs. I am attaching a link to an article showing just how big a discrepancy this is

Georgia high school football coaches score big with $100k-plus salaries

9. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    That is a great video and drives the point home. However the coaching disparity starts much earlier than high school.

In our area, coaches get paid starting in 6th grade. The coaches are not a random "dad with spare time" ... rather they trained, extremely knowledgeable and receive guidance from the high school they feed into.

These $100k salaried high school coaches are directly tied into their feeder system and give those feeder coaches access to everything through clinics and work out facilities and trainers. We are coaching K-8th grade but are qualified to coach high school.

Mullen should focus on building relationships with the high school coaches in Florida and Georgia. We have a lot of ground to make up with those coaches.

10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Buck up, folks. No need to get fatalistic. UF hasn't lost a decade to UGA. Here are two things to make you feel better:

• Georgia has fully matured demographically like FL did in the 90s with a high population and tons of talent. UGA is going to grab a bunch of those kids, but since they can't take them all, it's more fertile recruiting grounds in our back yard.
    • The Poodles have an average recruiting ranking of 7 for the fifteen years before Kirb. Twelve top 10 classes, and never worse than 15. That is incredibly consistent, lights out recruiting. Tons of talent every single year. We survived and found enough kids to fill our roster.

UGA being loaded is the rule, not the exception. We love the recruiting rankings, but realistically there isn't much difference between the #1 class and the #7 class. It's marketing to sell magazines/900 hotlines/website info, not precise metrics.

If we got the right guy coaching them up and average recruiting in that top 10% of programs, we're fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Well said. I don't want to come across as a gloom and doom guy -- I'm not. I hate reading that the world is coming to an end because we aren't signing 5* players.

The coaching community in the state of GA were mostly praying for Kirby to take over for Richt. Once he did they opened their doors to him. I'm pretty sure the coaching community in Florida wasn't begging for Muschamp, McElwain or Mullen. They may have opened their doors for Tebow but no one else we hired.

Taggert and Richt were coming home and were embraced. I think Mullen is the right guy for the job but it will take a few years before he starts winning recruiting battles.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Yes. Coach Mullen will get it done. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I'm in Marietta, and its amazing how much elite talent is here. The Atlanta area is what South Florida was 25 years ago just producing super elite player after super elite player, and UGA gets the first cut. I don't think its a stretch to think that if UGA plays its cards right it could have a run like the Hurricanes did from 1980-2005 with a few super-teams, based on local talent alone. Now they have to play their cards right, which is easier said than done, but its a bit disheartening as a Gator fan in rival territory. Anyway I'll cheer up when we start winning a few recruiting battles.

14. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    They were probably asking this same question for the last 20 years. It's a cycle.. Not many kids that are committing to schools have seen us do much of anything. They have seen Alabama with Kirby Smart connected to them and they want in on it. I think Mullen can get it done. We have talent to compete so he just needs to put it together. Then they will come.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    And the Dawgs put their 5 th 5* in their class today.Big DL. They now have 9 of the top ESPN150 in their class.

16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I’ll cheer up when we win a few games !!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I thought this thread was about catching uga with their hands in the cookie jar now that they don't have to respond to inquiries about shenanigans anymore due to Kirby's Law.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Three national titles to two

They haven’t caught us yet

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    We need some Big wins..........that will heal a lot around here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    Quick,someone put a curse on their football program.