Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will virus affect UM recruiting?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by zanesville, Aug 2, 2020.

1. zanesville

zanesville Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    With the higher rate of infection in Miami and south Florida, will recruits have second thoughts about being in the midst of it? With the high number of visitors and night life, it seems like the perfect setting to easily become infected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Thanks to COVID-19, UM has a captive talent pool that can’t easily visit other schools. They could have a good class from Dade and Broward alone. Who knows how many of their verbals are truly committed? Hopefully some have made reservations in case they can’t make visits prior to signing day. Even Richt, a good recruiter, had trouble converting all his verbals to signees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Probably not, I think all the unrest and uncertainty will actually want to make teenagers stay closer to mommy and daddy.

4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties account for 44% of the cases and 46% of the COVID deaths in the entire state, despite comprising only 29% of the population. I question the decision making of anyone who chooses to stay or go there to play football when there are other good options. So, I consider it no loss for those who opt to do that.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  5. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I wonder what percentage of that is in the communities these kids come from. I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that tourism into Miami accounted for their exceedingly large share of Covid cases

6. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Great question. I've heard a lot of reasons offerred for why there is such a burst down there... from population density, to rabid partying envrionment, to Brazilian tourists, to a more communal culture, to New Yorkers fleeing their epidemic at it's peak. Maybe it's a combination of all that and more, but, not sure about the recruits' neighborhoods in particular.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020