Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will this Football Season even happen?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GratefulGator, Mar 27, 2020.

1. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    I think it will only if Trump declares a stay-at-home mandate for the entire US. I am NOT a communist by any means, but China shut their whole system down for 8 weeks and things there are getting better.

IMHO, we need the same draconian measures that China had to curb this damn virus so that we may have the possibility of Fall Football.
    If the rate of infections are still climbing along with the death rates in July, we can all kiss the season goodbye; nite-nite.

Of course if things are that bad, football will be a moot-point.
    The health of the people is wayy more important than sports.
    That's why I'm staying at home, ordering groceries and beer for delivery.
    I hope this shit is over soon, so that we may get back to some normalcy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Take this to Clay Travis and the like on Twitter.

"I know this is all BS, but if you don't play along: NO FOOTBALL!"

I'm with you. If there's is. No football, we likely won't care that there's no football. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. spincycle81

spincycle81 GC Legend

Oct 10, 2015
    If some experts are to be believed, this thing is going to come and go in waves until we have a vaccine, so as much as I want to see a game in person this year, I'm not confident it'll happen. I don't think it'll take some apocalyptic "we won't care that there's no football" scenario for the season to get cancelled, just a continued slow burn until we can get vaccinated...

edit: I should add that we're all pretty much just guessing and speculating based on what smarter people are telling us, but that's obvious right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    No football? I guess I need to book a cruise, assuming they'll still be in business. Oh the Humanity!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Heard on the news tonight it could move up to summer months.

6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In all honesty it is looking doubtful. Crowds of people are a thing of the past until we get a handle on the virus. Most sports are not even possible with social distancing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    upload_2020-3-28_11-7-35.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hope is the thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul,
    And sings the tune without the words,
    And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
    And sore must be the storm
    That could abash the little bird
    That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
    And on the strangest sea;
    Yet, never, in extremity,
    It asked a crumb of me.

Emily Dickinson

• Like Like x 6
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Herbstreit says no.

10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Booooooooooo
    Come on Tilly we were being hopeful on this thread ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a positive feeling. I think we will find existing medicine concoctions to get a handle on this like the malaria drug and zythro max. Just a hunch though.

• Like Like x 3
  12. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    No football. Health and safety more important than entertainment. The only way I see this happening is mass testing antibodies and for the virus at the entrance of large venues. Repeat testing for people who not immune in athletic programs and isolating them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GolphinGator

GolphinGator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I hope you are correct.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. revgator

revgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Overblown? I spent 30+ years in healthcare. I have friends and family members who are currently dealing with the daily, exponential growth of this crisis, and putting their own lives in danger in order to try to help others. The single most impactful dynamic that has contributed to creating obstacles to addressing this pandemic has been the number of people who think this is overblown. Unless you're willing to dismiss the experts at John Hopkins (they are one of many reporting the same), here's some data from this afternoon: "As of Sunday afternoon, more than 2,300 people in the U.S. have died from the virus and more than 135,000 people in the U.S. have been infected, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The exponential growth in U.S. cases and deaths falls in line with some predictive models that suggest that in the coming weeks, the U.S. could begin to see death tolls in the thousands every day."
    Please quit responding as though this was overblown... It is not.

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  15. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    This sounds like something someone may have said over a month ago before they saw what was really happening around the world and here in the US.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    What would the flu death tolls be at this same time, in a bad year, and how many of the people dying of corona wouldn't have died of the flu anyway? The flu has already killed more than 20k in American, yet corona, which has been around since at least mid February has only killed 2 300 so far yet is going to kill thousands per day? Come on man. I'm not being flippant about it, but one "health care expert" (LPN perhaps?) doesn't a great trend predictor make. All you need to know about the stats on how corona behaves is to look at the stats from the diamond princess cruise ship. EVERYONE on board was tested, out of 3,700 passengers 720 (roughly) were infected, a rate of 17% and of those infected, 1% died. THIS WAS ON A CRUISE SHIP, WITH AN ELDERLY POPULATION. All rational and noted experts are predicting a lower infection rate given our social distancing policies, with a similar, or perhaps even lower, mortality rate. The Diamond Princess stats are being widely relied on by health experts because everyone on board was tested.

Back to Gray's point: Americans are not going to sit inside and lose their jobs, their incomes, their homes, etc., for six months. It isn't going to happen, period. Play football and just televise it. How risky could that be for those young, super healthy players? NOT RISKY at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually, he does. It’s called “martial law” and it can be invoked in times of extreme crisis.

This would suggest that the US Senate and the Executive branch, both controlled by Republicans, have just voted to spend 2 trillion dollars to address a fake crisis generated for political reasons by the mainstream media. Really?

Young people, even babies are dying from this virus. They are not as much at risk, but they are also not exempt.

Every credible healthcare provider in the world disagrees with you. This is not “a cold”. It’s not “the flu”. It’s not H1N1. Medical systems have been dealing successfully with colds and flu seasons for decades without being overwhelmed. We handled H1N1 with normal medical and social resources. But we haven’t (at least not since 1918) had to build satellite hospitals in tents and convention centers, or have the Navy’s hospital ships standing by.

But you are entitled to your opinion.

The warm weather may help. But Australia and Brazil saw their number of cases of Covid 19 (and deaths) escalating through their summer, much like the rest of the world. I hope you are right, but it’s not a given.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    " a high lazy spiral on it's way to the too hot zone"....

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I believe the Chinese government which has a history of lying and manipulation both outwardly and inwardly is grossly underreporting their numbers of infected and dead.

Its not the end of the world by any stretch but it's going to get worse before it gets better. The media of course isn't helping as they are weaponizing the information.

I think it's going to stretch into the future farther than we think and I personally can't name one grimy politician that's going to be the one to stick their neck out and allow CFB to have a season. I hope I'll m wrong. Perhaps have the season but no crowds.Play empty? Idk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    Hopefully we will get to a point where there can at least be a regular season and have some fans in stadiums -- but I highly doubt we will see a "normal" season. Even if we stamp this thing out it may take awhile to get back to normal, especially for those at higher risk of complications. And let's face it -- lots of folks who have reached a point in their lives that they can fork out the money for season tickets and travel to games 7 or more weekends a year are older. They may need to play it more cautious.

• Agree Agree x 2