Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will movie theaters survive

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Aug 19, 2022.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    There’s a regal near me that I pass regularly. It’s not on the list but it’s hard to imagine 39 theaters getting less business than it does.

3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Mine is back to being busy but it’s an imax modern theater with a great location. Here’s the deal though… movies are full for the first week then dies off fast. Curve used to last longer in the past. But it’s way busier than it has been. Not sure if enough to make profitable.

4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    We went to one movie last year. But didn’t sit where our ticket was, because it was too near other people.
    Also, I wasn’t sure exactly which seats were ours.
    How will they enforce this when there’s not many people in the theater?

AMC Theaters is changing its ticket pricing | CNN Business

5. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    AMC theatres are coming up with a new ticket price structure depending on where you sit. All of our theatres here in the Birmingham area have for months requiring you to pick your seat when you get the tickets. I figured it had something to do with enforcing social distancing but now I know why. Not all of our theatre chains are AMC. We have one called AmStar that makes AMC look tiny. They introduced the 1st 4D theatre which I haven't tried but I'm thinking of seeing Avatar. All of our theatres have already gone with the new recliners, which I like and don't like. It's comfy and guarantees you will fall asleep no matter the movie but there's no cuddling with your significant other.

AMC is about to make paying for theater seats more like booking an airline ticket

6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Two things seem apparent to me: a lot of things won’t survive, and we disagree on what ought not to.

7. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    That would be fine as long as they keep the same prices for the good seats and make the ones in the front row or sides a little cheaper. If they just raise prices for the good middle seats then that is going to hurt them.

• Like Like x 1