Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will movie theaters survive

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The advent of the cell phone killed it for me. Half the room is not there to watch the movie. They are literally watching vids on phones. It’s a party, and not a watch party. I now only go for movies I feel can’t be replicated in my home, like Top Gun. And then I spring for IMAX hoping some of the non-watchers are priced out.

And I used to be capital A avid. I’d go every cheap night, and one or two more times a week. I used to be of the “can’t be replicated” mindset. Still believe that although less so since I worked at an AV company and now have an absurd HT, but the value is so diminished now due to studios treating all movies like IMAX products and audiences simply no longer participating in the social contract to actually watch the movie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    what I meant was your avatar goes to the movie theater in the Metaverse, to watch a movie in a virtual movie theater.

3. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    Netflix, Meta, and you think alike:) You can already use VR to watch Netflix; the next step is exactly what you envisioned.

4. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    SEC Network didn't empty the Swamp.

Streaming music didn't end concert tours.

They have been predicting the end of movie theaters since TV showed up. Then VCR's, Cable, the internet, surround sound, etc.

Yet I strapped a tux on and went to see the minion movies with my boys.

People need to get out.

Disclaimer: Game consoles killed arcades, but having participated in the same I can tell you in its heyday it was a gauntlet of elbows and standing in lines...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Streaming IS a threat though. The latest Predator (Prey) is the latest example. While I personally find the hype overdone (it was solid, but no revelation) it is inescapable that a box office stalwart, tailor-made as visual spectacle, and in this case an attempt to reboot the whole money machine, is strictly streaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No joke. We have been very choosey with movies. I think we've seen 3 this year so far and nothing we see until late Fall is appealing.

7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm turning 57 so I need a bigger screen to see anything these days. Sad to see this being a bigger thing because unless you are wearing eye protection to block the blue light waves, the future looks bleak for humanity concerning eyesight. I've been a software developer for 30 years and it's finally caught up with me. Diagnosed with early stage macular degeneration most likely due to viewing devices without any eye protection (since April I wear glasses that block the blue light spectrum).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    When I was a kid my mother said if I didn't stop playing with myself I would go blind, so I quit beating off as soon as I needed glasses.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Back to the subject of movie theaters, as soon as each of my grandkids gets old enough that I think they will remember it they get a trip to the nearest Drive-in movie on grandpa. They seem to enjoy it, most of them had never heard of a drive-in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can't imagine someone not going to movie theater for several years

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    To me, the content of HBO has gone downhill. As to Netflix, the services are starting to cannibalize each other with more and more choices. Amazon Prime has had really very little good recently. Surprisingly Apple TV has had some pretty good content.

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I’ll only go to a theater that has the nice reclining reserved seating

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    As to movie theaters, for us (in our 50s) there aren’t a ton of choices any more. Most theater content are big franchises - superhero and action adventure crap. The typical drama movies with serious stars are becoming few and far between. We would probably occasionally go if there was something we wanted to see.

14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    This is my biggest problem. The best movies don’t make any money. Only comic book popcorn crap makes money. So that’s where the focus is. Sad but true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Some movies are best experienced in a theater setting (e.g. recent: Top Gun Maverick). That said, high cost, annoying people etc are a buzz kill. There is a lot to be said for enjoying a movie in the comfort of your home where you can pause, rewind, or whatever and not have to deal with someone else's screaming kid or some asshat who won't shut up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Riiiight….

17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I don't think I've been to a theater besides Sun Ray in 5 years. And I've prolly been to Sun Ray 3-4 times a year.

San Marco Theater isn't bad either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We aren’t the demo. Oh well. I suppose I got my due.

If anything I’d go see Hunter Hunter or a brutally honest Korean jaw-dropper on a cheap small screen. As it is, my HT is wacko enough to have the cops knocking in less than 10 minutes and even a $500 TV is pretty bossy now. No reason for a $50 excursion unless it’s nutty like TG2.

19. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I had to see Top Gun Maverick the first night. My wife made me see "where the crawdads sing" and I loved it! Go see movies. Great times with the wife and good for the economy.
    '

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Our independent movie theater is a cool place to go. They have an indoor & outdoor stage for music, they rent it out for BDs, etc. they have sat morning cartoons, cult movie night, etc. We'll just go for a beer & a snack sometimes.
    [​IMG]

Also live 1/2 a mile from a great drive in....burgers cooked on an outside grill!!

[​IMG]

I hope these theaters never die.

• Like Like x 4