Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Apr 15, 2021.

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

1. Yes

17.7%
  2. No

82.3%
  1. Taxg8r00

Taxg8r00 GC Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Tampa
    I’ve come to realize no one (especially) NFL have any idea makes a great NFL QB. When you look at the list of 1st round picks it is littered with guys who are terrible, average and decent. There are very few home runs like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.

I tend to agree that Kyle can be a good NFL QB, but he needs to be drafted by the right team, in the right system and also sit for a bit. Wish him nothing, but the best. No matter what he should earn a great paycheck, which is well deserved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I noticed that, too. He's definitely succesfully achieved the Savage Body Makeover this year, but, hope he's worked on softening those hands, too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    QB drafting is tricky because it’s so much about need. Teams in the back half of the first often don’t need a QB

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. CRIMDEFgator

CRIMDEFgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The NFL drafts based on all kinds of weird considerations that have nothing to do with football. After I represented JC Jackson in his robbery trial and he was acquitted he kicked serious ass at Maryland. When he chose to enter the draft I personally got calls from 5 NFL teams (either GM, Assistant GM or Player Personnel). Each one said they had zero doubt about JC’s ability to play corner in the NFL. A couple of them used the term “shut down”.
    So what was the problem? Character and family. I first noted each time that he has a mom and dad and stable family (my wife and I are still friends with his parents). I next pointed out he was one of the VICTIMS in an Immokalee shooting that kept getting brought up.
    But of course they really wanted to know about my case.
    I explained that since my client had been found not guilty I felt they should not hold the incident against him. But they wanted to know more. Why was he charged? Did he win on a technicality? Etc etc.
    With JC’s permission I was candid. Yes, JC hung around the wrong guys as a freshman at UF. Yes JC had problems in Immokalee (tough town) and at UF due to his associations.
    But I went on to note he had proven he’d moved beyond that after trial with subsequent play at Maryland and he had amazing family support behind him.
    I said to each (one was from my Team... I literally begged them) that he may be the best athlete to ever come out of Immokalee (which, yes produced the James brothers amongst many others) and was the best athlete on the UF team till the arrest. BTW most Collier County football coaches would’ve backed my assessment.
    All thanked me for my time. Later the family invited mine to his draft party. It was pretty depressing. Round after round goes by. Lynn takes the kids home while I drink with JC’s dad and uncles. He doesn’t get picked.
    After (and I hope Chris Jackson will back me up on this) I told Chris “Watch, the Pats will call tomorrow.” He said “You think?” I knew they were looking at him but had never called me.
    The next morning at 9 am he calls me. “Pats want JC in training camp as a free agent”.
    We all know what happened then. JC texted me pics from camp, including one with Brady. He said Brady talked to him about being a man and dad in the league.
    Now he’s one of the best corners in the NFL. He literally got robbed (pun intended) for the pro bowl this year.
    Two morals to the story. 1. Belichick steals first round talent with free agency because others are dumb; and 2) Don’t judge a book by its cover (that is most teams suck because they can’t look beyond the surface)
    So will Trask go in the first round? Judging by my own experience I’d say no. Will someone regret not grabbing him? We know who he is. I’m solid on YES on that one.
    BTW as I’m still in contact with Jc and his folks I can tell you they have no problem with me telling this story or I would not have.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. CRIMDEFgator

Apr 10, 2007
    One quick addendum to my (sorry) long post. I would be extremely amused if Belichick got Trask in the 3rd. He’d sit him behind the laptop thief and teach him. If Trask isn’t a Belichick QB I don’t know who is. In a league moving away from the tall, smart pocket passer the Pats might steal. Oh and I’m a Jets guy so screw the Pats but it would be an awesome place for Kyle to land. As Brady just showed ONCE AGAIN the QB makes the decisions and puts the ball in athletes’ hands. Running around like an idiot and getting knocked out for the season is not the job of a franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Im sorry but I took that entire post as more of you letting us know you defended Jackson than the actual question at hand. Glad he made it out and all but I can’t say you can compare Jackson to Trask in any situation known to man

8. CRIMDEFgator

Apr 10, 2007
    Fair enough. They are not comparable players. But I think my point about the Draft stands. We can agree to disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I completely got your point, and agree.
    The NFL has so many players to look at, so they get lazy and don't look into the details.
    So in your case "Jackson was involved in a robbery. We don't want that on our team!" Who cares if he was a victim.

IMO its groupthink as well as confirmation bias. it's why so many NFL teams draft badly- esp at QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Hope he gets drafted in the first round by NE and go from there

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    My time as a CF coach taught me the underappreciated role of genetics in athletic success. But Tom, from what I hear, has a holistic fitness approach and a discipline to follow it, (the occasional Super-Bowl-Boat-Parade blowout notwithstanding) that seems unusual, even outside of genetics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Love to see Trask drafted as the last pick in the first round, get developed under Brady, and, who knows after that. Even Brady has stated in the past that he wanted to play until he was 45. He will be 44 this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Numbers and whatever other considerstions aside, if I'm a GM for NFL team, I'd damn sure take a long hard look at KT, if for no other reason than the time spent under Dan Mullen. You have a pretty solid foundation laid, upon which to build.

The only way you go wrong with drafting Trask, is the thought that you might could have gotten him in a later round--a function purely of a team's needs.

So that said...the Bucs would do well to take him 1st round, if no one else does. They're solid everywhere, and really only need a guy if Brady goes down, or when he finally retires (echoing @TrueGator above).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Very intriguing thought....

1-2 years behind big ben would be pretty damn good for him.

Prolly 2nd best landing place for him after Tampa/Brady, with similar time frame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus VIP Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Trask is pretty much a physical clone of Big Ben. Both 6-4 240 lb. Ben might have a stronger arm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I called the local ESPN station here (Philly) 97.5 when the base was whining about the franchises inability to get a decent corner and no shot in the draft.

I mentioned that UF had a kid get kicked off the team named Janoris Jenkins for failing pot tests and if the Franchise had any brains they should take a look.

The response was something along the lines that he was a character risk.

well turns out, yes Janoris is quite a character....... how many rug rats belong to him?

And Philly took a pass on a multiple year pro bowler.

not that those cats listen to the public anyway.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Ben definitely has a stronger arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Trask will have a better career than most of those drafted ahead of him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Kyle Trask stats (2020 Season):
    • 4,283 passing yards
    • 43 passing touchdowns
    • 8 interceptions
    • 180.0 passer rating
    • 9.8 ypa
    • 68.9% completion rate
    • 3 rushing touchdowns
    Pro Football Focus gave him a 71.1 grade when under duress this past season, one of the highest marks in the 2021 NFL Draft class. He also demonstrated the ability to step up in big games, throwing for 408 yards and scoring four total touchdowns in the SEC Championship Game against Alabama.

There's some love from NFL scouts for Kyle Trask
    Kyle Trask receives stunning NFL comparison from scout