Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Apr 15, 2021.

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

1. Yes

17.7%
  2. No

82.3%
  1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

He also did all that without the benefit of a run game

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    15+ years ago when the tall stationary pocket passer ruled, I think Trask goes in the top 10. The NFL QB position has changed, speed and mobility is greatly coveted now and those qualities aren’t Trask’s strengths.

Think he ends up going in the second round which may better position him for success by landing on a team that’s not a complete dumpster fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I am pretty sure he was still hurt from the last play of the Bama game and is why he got pulled early.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    And to echo what 32250 said above- Emmitt and Aaron Rogers were definitely helped by dropping in the draft.
    Because they plummeted, they wound up with solid teams on which they could thrive instead of dumpster fires.

So maybe KT dropping to mid 2nd would actually help his pro career. I think so.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    They are not Mac Jones qualities either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I laugh when I see the kid from stanford being rated ahead of him now because he was a 5 star coming out of hs. Mind you he was barely the starter there and had no success to speak of, but hey lets double down on an incorrect rating from 4 years ago on a hs prospect

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the Oklahoma game showed that Trask isn't going to elevate the level of play of those around him. If you put him on a team with talent he will succeed. If you are expecting him to put the team on his shoulders and carry a team, then I don't see him having success. I think the worst possible scenario would be to drafted early and expected to carry a bad team. Instead he needs to get signed to a team with a solid, aging starter and get ready to take his place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Bucs trade up for a high second round pick and get him

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. TJHooker

TJHooker Junior

Jul 31, 2014
    Someone will take a flier on him. It won't be in the first or second round. I love the guy, he knows the game well and has a great feel and touch. However, he is immobile and does not have top-tier arm strength, which is where the position is going these days. Outside of Brady, look at the top players in the position, not many of them have the attributes that Trask has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I hope it's a lineman!

11. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    That would be great. A lineman with their first round pick and then grab Trask early in the second

12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Ha, I'd rather double up on linemen! Win now, worry about the future when Brady leaves. As a Bucs fan, I dont want any part of what I saw in Green Bay.

13. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I agree with what some of you have said about the "scouts". I think when you get labeled an 'expert", you immediately want to separate yourself from the norm, which is sometimes the obvious. Some people can be so smart, they're stupid. At the end of the day, the king is still naked. For example, I don't know many pitchers or QB's who came into the league with great mechanics. It appears hardly anyone has great mechanics, whatever the hell that means. And it usually comes from guys who have only used that world in real life to describe the guys who work on their cars. Scouts, in other words, want to sound smarter than be smarter. The scouting report on Tom Brady was he ran a 5.24 40 yards dash and had a 24 1/2 inch vertical leap. I think my 82 year old mama could do that. He "lacked a strong arm" and was the proverbial "system" QB ( isn't every QB from a "system"?). Dan Marino ran a 4.89 , which is blazing compared to Brady. And Marino thought Johnny Manziel would be a stud in the NFL. Bortles was "most ready". Rodgers was "too short" , had to go to JC because no one recruited him, had a "good chance of being a bust" and Jeff Tedford QB's always suck then get good for a year before the draft. If we followed that history and projected Kyle, Kyle should be a Hall of Fame QB at the end of his career. It comes down to a team's needs and their personal opinion and philosophy on the type of QB they think will be successful for them. Two teams with either short QB's or tall ones with "weak arms" with "no mobility" who are a product of a system coming out of college, but who will end up in the HOF are the New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Bucs. All it takes is one. But fear drives decision-making in the NFL, so although Kyle could or maybe should be a 1st round QB, the earliest he'll get picked is the 2nd round .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m not sure Trask will be great or not but what I am sure of is that a combine can’t tell you that. Making throws in games is where it’s at. There’s a lot of talk about how a qb goes through his progressions and it may be more than that. I think much like a fb like Emmit that has really no physical gift that separates him, it’s the field vision. I think the great ones see everything as it happens and kinda know what the defenders are going to do before it happens. Kinda like chess, always several moves ahead and just waiting for it to unfold. If a qb has that in spades, then and only then does arm strength and accuracy become a lethal tool.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Agreed, get every advantage to win now as you can get. It could be decades before there is another chance.

16. sas1988

sas1988 Senior

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    I don't see both Pitt & NE passing on him, they are where a QB like him goes to shine and in need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    It only takes one.

18. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMHO KT is the next Tom Brady.Rarely a starter until someone got hurt then BOOM. Trask is the embodiment of a loyal, hard worker who waits his turn. He has all the tools needed to be great NFL QB period. Bama's Jones had a great year behind a great OL , great RB and great WR's .Trask out performed Jones in most categories and should have won the Heisman. His teammates (receivers) left him high and dry for the bowl game and because of that we had our clocks cleaned but there is no doubt to loyal Gator fans that KT was the best.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    Screw McShay he’s wrong more he’s right. Kind of like weathermen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    • Agree Agree x 3