Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Apr 15, 2021.

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

1. Yes

17.7%
  2. No

82.3%
  1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I mean agree with your premise, but Mahomes is not a running QB. He is a mobile QB, but he reads defenses and out schemes coordinators with his brain and arm just like Brady and Manning do/did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Trask v Jones.

1. Run game threat. How do you defend Trask on 3rd and 3 to 5 yards? Its a pass. How do you defend Jones on 3rd and 3 to 5 yards (hmm Harris)?

2. OL protection for QB. Stone and DeLance at OTs vs Leatherwood and Neal at OT. Easy who had it better.

3. Accuracy. A push.

4. Switch each and put Trask at bama...do they win NC ? Yes. Does Jones lead come back and beat Uga?

I think it is a close call between the two, and there is something about each that has the right factors to be an NFL qb. But in my unbiased opinion (ha ha), I'd give the edge to Trask on just these. 2019 comes into UK game cold off the bench and leads UF to a big win on the road at UK who was playing over their heads. Then he keeps going on and on. Then there is patience...as in long suffering as a back up in high school and 3 yr at UF. I like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    True, just saying if you ask any NFL team if they would rather have a Brady or Mahomes (age being equal) they would take Brady 9 out of 10 times. Saw what just happened head to head with Brady being 15 years (or whatever) older physically.
    If Mahomes can get another 6 or 7 SB's he's right there with him.

Peyton I don't think had the attention to keeping his body in shape like Brady.

4. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    I am sure Brady works to keep himself in shape. But there is no way I believe the Peyton Manning did not do everything he could to make himself the best football player he could be. Tom Brady just has a genetic advantage.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I’m perplexed as to why Mac Jones and Trey Lance are rated so high. I’m also confused as to why Justin Fields dropped so much. He beat out Trevor Lawrence head to head during the Elite 11 camp. So I have Trask over Mac and Lance and I have Fields on par with Lawrence.

6. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    The only reason IMHO why he wouldn't go in the first round is because he isn't officially a dual threat guy iun a draft year where the rest of the guys are. He has a motor and can scramble and throw like nobody's business.

He will surprise a lot of folks. Great in the pocket, great touch, accurate, strong arm, regardless of what some of these knuckleheads' say. He should be a first rounder. Be nice if the Patriots snagged him. They are reloading. The only way I'll tune into the NFL is to see Kyle. Maybe Toney and Pitts too. We sure had some ballers this last year.

May the Good Lord shine down on the Gators.

Go Gators.;)

• Like Like x 3
  7. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    If Kyle is passed over for the entire first round, ok I can maybe understand the owners are drinking the recruitnik cool-aid. If nobody selects him in round 2, I will be flabbergasted! He is going to be the steal of the decade in round 3 if that happens, which it won't (shouldn't)!
    It would be a dereliction of duty to not have paid attention to what Trask accomplished in 2 years: came from almost nowhere to light up the scoreboard in his first year as a starter and then take a gargantuan leap in his second year to lead the SEC in touchdowns while shattering records, all without the benefit of a good OL or running game with a pulse!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    No offense Brett Heggie, but pretty sure we could’ve had at least one or possibly two 1000 yard rushers if they were only putting three in the box and dropping 8. I know he was making a point, but thought that’s kind of funny.

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yes, but you have to respect his ability to run because he will kill you with his legs if you don’t. Same as Rodgers , just not as much anymore.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Winning the big games means something

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Peyton had what may should have been a career ending injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I don't think that the Superbowl outcome was a matter of Brady vs Mahomes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Like I said, Mahomes is a mobile QB, not a running QB. I'm not sure what counterpoint you are making with respect to my post.

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Kinda the same thing I would say.has the ability, just what he does with it. All great qbs can operate from the pocket. There are no exceptions. Some can run, some can’t.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nope, both qbs are great.

16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Well, Fields beat Lawrence in the playoffs. And Lance and Wilson hasn’t beat anyone of significance. Idk

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    I say no now based on the “anti-hype” he has going for him. But could change pending on his combine. I personally think he’s the best true QB and has the ability to be in the NFL the longest pending the scheme he’s in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    But when you call someone a running QB, it means they run a lot for positive yardage, not to buy time to pass. Sure, a mobile QB will take the yards if you give it to them, but they aren't looking to run consistently.

19. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    A mobile quarterback in the NFL rolls out to buy time or takes off when the pocket collapses to pick up a first down. Running quarterbacks cannot survive in the NFL more than a couple of seasons. If Trask can make the first guy miss and run a qb sneak like Tom Brady, he'll be fine. His best feature is not going through his progressions, it's knowing who his first progression is before the ball is snapped.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I saw McShay and Kiper discussing the draft last night.
    McShay esp was down on Trask, and said he wouldn't even be the 6th QB picked.
    Kiper thought Trask could go to the Saints late 1st.

It reminds me of the Emmitt Smith draft in 1990.
    Us Gators knew how great Emmitt was- we had seen him carry our team when we had nothing else.
    And Emmitt started out as a projected top 5 pick, until the NFL recruitniks started gabbing, and he fell to 17th.

So now Trask is the same way, IMO. We know all the facts, we know what KT has done and how mediocre our OL has been.

On the same program- there was a flashback to Aaron Rogers falling from a top pick to 24th in the draft.
    So yeah- it's just a herd mentality and these brilliant NFL guys aren't self-aware to realize this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1