Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Apr 15, 2021.

Will Kyle Trask be Drafted in the First Round ?

1. Yes

17.7%
  2. No

82.3%
  1. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    The talking heads are split on whether Kyle Trask will be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft.
    Peter King says Kyle will be the sixth QB drafted in the first round .. but he is in the minority.
    CBS Sports has Trask going in the third round.
    Mel Kiper says .. wait .. does anybody care what Mel Kiper says ?
    The talking heads say Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, Trey Lance and Justin Fields are your first round, top five quarterbacks, in that order. Kellen Mond is also in play. Doesn't mean the NFL owners agree.
    What say you kemosabe ?

FMIA: 20 QB Decisions Shaping This NFL Offseason, Draft Like No Other - Peter King, NBC Sports

Could 6 QBs be selected in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft? Kyle Trask has a chance per NFL insider

NFL Mock Drafts 2021: Compare Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah, Todd McShay & latest from other experts

Two-round 2021 NFL mock draft: Falcons make two trades in top 10, Zaven Collins a surprise pick for Giants

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes
    No
    Maybe

Kyle Trask finished last season with more touchdown passes — a UF record 43 — than every QB in the nation.
    He had more passing yards per game (356.9) than any Power 5 quarterback.
    Trask also put up those numbers and led the Gators to the SEC East title despite the offensive burden often resting
    on his shoulders due to an anemic running game averaging 130.3 yards.
    “I don’t really get it,” Brett Heggie said of Trask’s place in the draft pecking order.
    “If you look at this [past] season, a lot of guys that played us were dropping eight [into coverage] and he was still
    able to put on a show every week.”

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Aah
    I see you are politically astute my friend

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    I'd guess 2nd round

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    I don't get the fascination with Trey Lance. He has played for one college season and played no top level teams. Essentially the same as drafting a really gifted High School senior.

Also, I will bet that at least two of the top quarterback picks will amount to nothing in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    No the OKla game really didn't help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. canagator

canagator All American

Jan 1, 2020
    Stoney Creek Ontario
    I wouldn't say it helped but surely any team interested in drafting him would look at the big picture, how he played against the Dogs and Bama and not how he performed with his receiving core missing due to opt outs in a bowl the team seemed disinterested in?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    I think he goes no later than 3rd

If KT can get the opportunity to sit behind a good vet for the 1st year or 2, I think he will be a very good NFL QB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    I find it mind boggling that a quarterback that smashed the Florida single season touchdown mark against an all SEC schedule with a shortened season is not a first round lock. I just don't get it. I do not get paid to evaluate potential NFL quarterbacks, I do not coach, and I played my last game of organized football prior to getting my driver's license, but ... He made full field reads, he called audibles based on what he saw at the line of scrimmage, he audibled into good plays, and he threw the ball before the receiver was looking for it ... And he did all that at a high level behind a line that was was susceptible to pressure. There is nothing on the field that would make me think that he is not a first round talent... I think the light cast by those high school stars is just now reaching the eyes of NFL talent evaluators.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
  10. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    Trask has been grossly under estimated by almost everyone since day one. When he finally got a chance to show what he could do, he excelled beyond all expectations - except his own. I doubt he goes in the 1st round, but I am very confident that will do as well if not better than at least 4 of the 6 who will probably go ahead of him. He has tremendous character, a sharp mind and better arm talent than he is generally given credit for.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If five other QBs have been taken by the 30th pick then there is a slim chance he could go in the first round, but that all depends on NFL team needs.

The NFL people making these decisions on this are often very wrong.

Trask is first round talent. But that's no guarantee that he gets picked in the first round.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Behind Kellen Mond, what a joke!

Trey Lance, smh.

I like Mac Jones, a lot, believe he has the potential to be a really good league QB. By what metric is he better than Kyle Trask though? Every GM, scout, analyst, talking head, etc, has Jones far and away above KT, just don’t get it, at all. It’s not that they have Jones rated higher, it’s that they have him in a different stratosphere. Again, just don’t get it.

You don’t draft Kyle Trask as a franchise savior, like the first 3-4 teams will do in drafted a QB. You draft him to develop over the course of likely a few years into being your warhorse. He has all the tools, especially between the ears to be the guy for someone, imho.

* my prediction is Kyle will be selected in the 2nd round, a team is laying in the weeds for him

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Even if someone thinks he is a first-round talent, if they think they can wait until the 3rd they will.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    If the teams are all just picking based on BAP with complete disregard about team needs, then Kyle on talent alone is 1st round ( Top 32 Player)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 18, 2015
    I say second round to Pittsburg to be Big Ben’s understudy for a year.

Trask is demonstrably better in every metric than Jones while being handicapped by our OL and lack of run game. In the biggest moment of last year @LSU he shined. Biggest moment this year against Bama. He shined.

The only conceivable advantage Mac has over Trask is his ability to run, otherwise the stat sheets and the eyeball test favor Trask.

Kellon “can’t get past his first read, and runs the ball” Mond? GTFOH. Trask surveys the field like Brady. Mond like Forest Gump.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This is as good a place as any. IMO, unless a QB is YOUR QB going forward and you have a top 5 draft position, you do NOT take a QB in the first round. You may panic and take one late in the second but Trask should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best.

He may even last until the 4th/5th but that does not mean he can't play in the NFL.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gatordad699

Gatordad699 Sophomore

Apr 30, 2007
    Leaf, Russell, Mirer, Shuler, Marino (6th picked), Brady, etc. IMHO the NFL sucks at qb evaluation. It’s like they’ve never watched a single game of college football. I could have told them that Russell sucked. Let’s hope KT gets the right team, with the right coach and front office. Then a line to protect him and receivers to throw to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    He should but he won't.

The hot trend is to land a running QB and go full on Mahommes. Easier said than done. Even with the modern game featuring RPO, the more reliable way to win is have a cerebral QB that can read the D and put a pass on the head of a pin.

Brady and Manning are not the fastest guys but know how to read defense and out scheme coordinators. Trask is more like that (eventually).

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I don’t think he goes 1st round, but I think it’s absolutely bananas how he’s being overlooked. Skip and Shannon were talking about Fields, Lawrence and Jones this morning and were talking about how record breaking Jones stats were without even a peep about Trask... who arguably was the statistically better QB with a higher degree of difficulty.

He should be a top 15 pick, but I see him going second round.

• Agree Agree x 3