Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will FSU and Clemson join the SEC?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Tolbert1906, Jul 26, 2021.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The way UNC treated MD when they departed the ACC for the big ten, think it unlikely they leave the ACC anytime soon.

I see Cincy being a very attractive school for the SEC. Cincinnati is a nice additional TV market in Ohio and good size city. Joining the SEC would give them major credibility snd a recruiting advantage, but stadium attendance may not meet SEC standards. Close to KY. Have been ranked in Football and Basketball in the past. Not elite, but don’t think you need to have every team be elite. Agree UNC or UVA would be preferred. Virginia Tech is a military school like Tex A&M, which could align well. Don’t think they would leave the ACC after begging to be in for years, but perhaps they feel Virginia treats them like Texas treated TAM.

2. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Near Gainesville
    If that happens, I guess I wont have much interest. That is the only way they can get school out of debt.... screw fsu is what I say

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Thank you for posting something that makes some sense. :)

I don't believe that academics will be the driver, but I have mentioned in a few posts that I think that to only way there will be a 3rd super conference that will compete with the Big-10 and SEC, is a consolidation of the Pac-12 and ACC, but it can't be a merger. A merger is out of the question because a 26+ member conference is not likely going to work and no school is going to leave voluntarily.

What it would take is some completely secret negotiations starting between a small handful of schools from the Pac-12 and ACC, probably original conference members and then expanding the conversation between the schools they want. And then at some point, all those schools would have to leave their conference to start a brand new conference. The reason I think it could work is that they could for example have a 16 team conference with a Pacific and Atlantic division, each with 8 schools. With a 9 game conference schedule, every school could play 7 games within division and then one home and one away game cross division, which means each school would only have one long trip per year.

The problem becomes some traditional power schools would get left out. If I was guessing in a 16 team scenario, I'd say the Pacific division would be USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Washington, Oregon, Arizona State and Arizona. The Atlantic might be UNC, NCSU, UVA, VT, FSU, Clemson, GT and Duke. If the Big-10 were to go to 16 with say Notre Dame and UVA, that might open a spot for Miami, WF or another school. In that scenario, you could very well see schools like Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Miami, Washington State, Oregon State, Utah and Colorado left out of the super conferences.

They could also decide to do an 18-team super conference with an Atlantic, central and Pacific division that would include 2 more teams, but you might be looking at a 5-2-2 format and the the logistics and travel get a lot trickier. You might have a division that includes FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami and the 2 Arizona schools.

The 16 team format is more convenient and keeps all the traditional rivalries intact (except for the Washington and Oregon state rivalries and FSU/Miami) and it allows those 2 divisions to pretty much continue to operate like the Pac-12 and ACC.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Does being associated with a lower ranked institution for the purpose of athletic competition lower yours as well? Of course not. It hasn't seemed to hurt Vandy or UF.
    The ridiculousness of being in a conference on both coasts just to affiliate with "premier academic" institutions is astounding.

5. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    in my jobs post graduating from UF - once a rose to a management position - including very senior management (though I didn’t interview many people while at that level) at no time did I ever review a resume or participate in hiring practices where I cared or noticed if a candidate attended an AAU school. I don’t know of anyone in my industry (banking/finance/real estate/mortgage). The school itself may have mattered but bring an AAU member? Never even a consideration.

Notre Dame, on the list below as a top university, isn’t an AAU school. North Carolina, who had a program in place allowing all students to cheat and take bogus classes for 20 years - a fact - is on the list. I’m getting away from my point which is that a CONFERENCE has little to nothing to gain from claiming schools as AAU members. I don’t know any students (non athletes) , outside of Ivy League, who go to any college because it’s in the SEC or Big Ten or ACC and on top of that, because the conference has alot of AAU schools. They’d choose the best school and the AAU membership isn’t part of that decision.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It does if you are a snob. You know how you know you are talking to a UVA grad? They tell you five times in the first five minutes of meeting you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

But they think it’s ok to be associated with ref$u? Now that’s funny right there

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yeah now more than ever in this stage of having zero value for graduating with the degree at all.

9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Okay Captain...I think Skink got you there!...I work with a very bright and industrious woman that went to UVa and she is understandably proud, but I don't think I found out she went there until UVa was about to win the Natty in B'ball.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I got my Masters at UVA. Love the school but undergrads can be a little too into the fact they go to UVA. And it is that type of attitude that will keep UVA from wanting to join the SEC.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Don't know your field of study, but their Mechanical Engineering students and faculty have earned the privilege to be proud. They are among the very best in the world, and if not for brilliant people like Ed Gunter, Paul Allaire, and Lloyd Barrett, the Space Shuttle program would likely have at the very least been seriously delayed due to instability in the main engine.

12. BGator

BGator Junior

Apr 30, 2007
    bullspit.. jus sayun..

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ok I reworded my post - does this sit better with you?

14. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    Depend$ on how how the ante i$!!

15. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I think the only reason the Big 10 payout is higher is because they more recently renewed their TV deal. Even without Tx and Ou when the SEC renegotiates their TV deal it would be higher than the Big 10's.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It may have been mentioned already, but the ACC's TV deal is locked in for another 15 years. So I don't see them negotiating with either FSU or Clemson to reduce their buyout if they petition to leave. Plus FSU can't afford to pay it anyway.

Why Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the SEC matters to FSU

• Like Like x 1
  17. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I for one am rooting for the ACC to stay together and at least somewhat thrive.

I don't want a bunch of ACC schools joining the SEC and Florida ending up in the ACC division playing a bunch of nobodies ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. BGator

BGator Junior

Apr 30, 2007
    Kinda hoping the B1G poaches a couple ACC schools (say, UNC, UVa, maybe GT?) to destabilize the ACC and force them to panic and add some Big 12 leftovers (say, WV, OSU, TT, Baylor, or maybe even UCF?), thus further delegitimizing the ACC and fsu right along with it..

No idea how realistic that may or may not be, I'm just angling for the worst possible outcome for fsu..

19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The only reason the ACC isn't completely de-legitimized now is directly due to the efforts of only one school, Clemson. Running through that conference like crap through a Goose hasn't hurt them terribly when it comes to the playoffs.

20. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    New rumor they dropped on the radio this afternoon is that Clemson and FSU have contacted the SEC, but the SEC doesn't see the viewership/streaming data as strong enough to justify splitting the pie further. Apparently not near what the OU/TX bump will be. Supposedly, ND is the only prize left.

Source was a ESPN affiliate in South Carolina.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1