Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will FSU and Clemson join the SEC?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Tolbert1906, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    Anyone else see this happening? I think it could easily come to fruition in the creation of a new super-conference.

Since the SEC moved to 12 teams, there has been a gentlemen's agreement between the member institutions that would give veto power to any one member. In particular, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina would all vote in-step to keep FSU, Georgia Tech, and Clemson out of the SEC if the opportunity ever presented itself.

Now, it seems that gentlemen's agreement has been broken with the members not backing Texas A&M. This will have consequences going forward... I can easily see FSU chasing the SEC money and asking to be let in. Am I the only one who sees this as not just a possibility, but something that will most likely happen? Sure, staying in the ACC would guarantee an easier schedule for FSU, but ultimately money talks. With the ACC falling apart, Clemson would likely join them. Get ready for the 18-team Southeastern Conference.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Definitely not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Some social media sites have discussed this as a possible scenerio.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Amusing interwebz fodder, but way too many moving parts, agendas, and contractual obligations for it to be likely. The ACC is also a better situation for both Clemson and FSU than the B12 was for OU/UT.

IMO, the SEC would need to go to 20 to make the next leap economically viable. And that would need to be 4 heavy hitters, ideally from two of the other three P5s left.

Doesn't seem very likely to me in the near term.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Hope not. I’m done

6. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Ill take Clemson, fsu can suck it.

• Funny x 8
    • Agree x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Far from the years when we would sponsor FSU every year for the SEC and our comrades would veto the request. Finally when the SEC came around and wanted FSU, Bobby said no because it was to hard to win a NC in the SEC. Now I believe FSU would love get an invitation, I say no, you had your chance.
    As a practical matter didn’t the ACC several years ago vote in a punitive by-out for teams that made it virtually impossible to leave?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    This x infinity

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    IF the super conferences become a reality there has to be some weight added to who is included… Vandy out, A team would have to be some what competitive. After a few years of two win seasons…. Off to the AAC with you.
    I realize the conferences are more than football but a program that has not committed to win at high level shouldn’t share in the same level of revenue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Clempson in the SEC will become the next TCU / Utah. They are great in a nobody conference but once they join the big leagues, they will become a 5 loss team every year.

fsu will stay fsu and become the Vandy of the SEC West (without the academics).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    A year ago people would have said it was literally impossible for Texas to join, and honestly fsu in doesn't even bother me that much, the old ways are gone.

Though I'd expect an ACC/SEC merger instead of a raid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    It's through 2036, so it would take some heavy negotiations to get that done. I think I read the league is already unhappy with their deal and trying to rework it, so maybe that allows for some movement if and when that happens. I think a merger is probably more likely.

13. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IIRC it was something like $50M plus TV dollars of what's left until the mid 2030s. That's really a non-starter financially. I think ND is tangled in that deal as well and would have to join the ACC (or pay) if they decide not to be independent.

Over the next decade, IMO the most likely scenario seems to be ACC adding ND with some generous concessions, B1G grabs 2 (ISU/KU?), PAC grabs 4 scraps, and most everyone left out forms some giant version of the AAC.

The SEC, BIG, PAC, ACC then run their own playoff and championship. Possibly 16 teams with one slot to the AAC champ to keep things smoothed out for ESPN.

14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    UNC & Virginia would be ideal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    You mean the 18 team SOC (Sell Out Conference)!!!

16. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    The real question is, what do we do when charter SEC teams like Tulane and Georgia Tech decide they want to rejoin?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    More questions than answers these days. And the way things have gone , who knows what's in store for "college football" , if we even call it that. I was talking to a friend of mine last night about this over a cigar. There are so many possible scenarios. Enjoy this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    You snooze, you lose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    No. Wont happen.

20. KronoGator