Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Will Fall Sports Happen?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GratefulGator, Jun 20, 2020.

Will Fall Sports Happen?

1. Yes, it will be a normal football season with fans in attendance

7.6%
  2. Yes, but spectators will be masked and socially distanced

44.8%
  3. Yes, but only if there is a miracle vaccine before August

1.2%
  4. No, due to second wave of corona that's likely to come

34.3%
  5. No (for other reasons)

12.2%
  1. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Bingo!

2. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Don't underestimate how devastating, financially, not playing the season would be to all of these athletic departments. How many scholarships at UF alone are in jeopardy if there isn't a season? Several hundred? The hotels and other local businesses that depend on football games are going to take a hit, no way around that, but ADs know if they don't play any football the future of their departments becomes jeopardized.

I have no idea how its going to work, it seems inevitable that most teams are going to have clusters of cases. But I tend to believe there's too much at stake to not play at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorgreats

gatorgreats Recruit

Jun 21, 2020
    I don't see how there won't be collegiate sports in the fall. If there are no sports, how can you justify reopening college campuses? People really think college students are going to socially distance and not party it up in dorms rooms, etc.???

Have to start somewhere. Positive tests are inevitable as society opens back up. Sports is just a part of the reopening.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    At this point, I just want it played. I can suffer the games on the 65” TV for a season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Want it yes but things are not looking good right now -
    (Clemson 25 positives)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I see a spring football season possibly. Strange, but might happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We all need to be cheering for team AstraZeneca and team Moderna.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NYU has a sports program?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    While your point is well taken, they actually have more DI Final Four appearances than many SEC programs in basketball.

10. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    Thats irrelevant given their current sports situation.

11. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    BCRX. Galidesivir. At least my shares hope so. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    My point; will any D1 conference be allowed to open if there are any that cannot? How about D1 but not D2? Will it be all or nothing?

13. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    I would think D1 and D2 would be treated independently. If a P5 conference or UCF doesnt open, then nobody will.

14. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    You don’t say...:rolleyes:. I believe I acknowledged that.

15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Im 54, no health problems, work out regularly, had this mess back in January. This was before we had any testing and most thought it was an upper respiratory flu. I got blasted and called a liar by another poster for revealing that too.

Regardless, I tested for the anti-bodies last month and tested positive, although they said there was room for error in the test.

Felt like crap the first day, gradually started feeling better each after the first day but carried around a lingering fever four days. I never had a fever for four days in my life.

The worst part was that hacking dry cough with no congestion that started the third day and I had that about 4 days until it sort of stopped quickly.

At the time I just stayed home for about 7 or 8 days and took cold and flu meds because I thought I had that and didn't want to get anyone else sick.

Thing is that the general recovery time is about two weeks for almost 99%.

Most cases here in Florida in the uptick of cases are asymptomatic, and anyway, the governor said over two months ago that spikes would happen in opening up, due mainly to testing being so easily available everywhere now.

That said, yes, we'll have the season, and just like I said almost three months ago, once stuff opens up, people are going to be far more concerned about getting their lives started again and will not worry about the risk. I said they'd get sick of their lives being shut down and they did.

It's a 99% recovery rate, and you're either going to get sick or youre not.

Amazing how no one was even talking about Covid two weeks ago.

Personally I don't believe the shut down should have gone over 30 days at the most, and that this revitalization of the covid crisis is mostly media hype.

Lets move on with our lives people.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  16. bperkins10

bperkins10 All American

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Per the artical, they were asymptomatic.

17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I read an Italian researcher thought the virus was beginning to weaken and might die out on its own. How cool would that be? E' molto bene, non e' vero? Momma mia.
    The Italians also said they weren't going to change the way they lived their lives when the virus originally kicked in. That strateegery worked a ton by the way!

One can only hope. I'm more concerned about coaches getting sick then players. But I'm worried we might not have a season. That would really blow.

Here's to a season happening. And a glorious one at that!

Go Gators

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    I think the season will be played with limited fans in attendance. 25% capacity. AKA, a normal season for UM.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If this is correct, Sunday, June 21, the U.S. had the lowest daily Covid death toll since March, but according to the msm, it's about to be the second coming of the plague.

I think most folks are willing to just take their chances.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’m really curious about the range of effects on college aged athletes. Any reports to the degree it impacts them? I think, for their age it’s similar to a (severe?) case of the flu.

a program doesn’t want the flu to raise havoc on their team, so isolate etc.

I would think, for fans, if you are vulnerable or older: don’t attend. 6’ separation should be followed for families / roommates, etc. wear a mask when not in your seat / traversing the concourses. open the stadium Extra early so people can avoid crowds at the gates.

• Informative Informative x 1