Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wilbekin discussed on Hollinger and Duncan podcast

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorsGators, Jun 3, 2020.

1. GatorsGators

GatorsGators All American

Apr 14, 2012
    ‎Hollinger & Duncan NBA Show - NBA Basketball Podcast: The Best Overseas Veterans for the NBA on Apple Podcasts

"Best Overseas Vets"

Found this episode interesting and would generally recommend it outside of this episode if anyone is looking for a pretty insightful basketball podcast.

This episode focused specifically on looking for vets in Europe (so not draft prospects like Doncic was or Deni Adjiva, a guy who played with Wilbekin the past two seasons, is) and thinking about how they might fit in the NBA.

They talk about both Wilbekin and Shane Larkin.

The analysis of Wilbekin's career:

--has become an elite shooter. Can make shots off screens, off the dribble, spotting up off ball movement, with practically unlimited range. Big improvement from where he was there exiting college.
    --decent athlete for his size, good enough for NBA.
    --clutch, loves taking big shots.
    --probably not a primary creator at next level
    --might not make financial sense to go to NBA unless given a guaranteed contract over the vet minimum with his contract with Maccabi

Their verdict is that he could be a fit for a team looking for a scoring guard off the bench if that team has a ball-dominant wing that would allow Wilbekin to play 2 on offense and 1 on defense.

Highlights from this year for anyone who's bored:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Two guys I thought were nba players. . . Scottie and Prather.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorsGators

Apr 14, 2012
    Prather has had a good career in Australia but has lost his past two years with knee issues. Pat also had his career derailed by injuries.

Wilbekin is an NBA player, imo. He's better than the majority of back-up/third-string guards. This podcast, led by legit NBA guys, focused on maybe ten players overseas, and both mentioned Wilbekin in their top three. He'd just have to find the right fit both from a basketball and financial perspective because his current situation, making almost $2 mil a year for Maccabi, is a pretty good one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Agree with the above. Of all the players I've seen come through UF Scottie is he one of most surprised isn't in the NBA.

5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would put Dan Cross on the same category. However, it’s tough to make it in the NBA. Look at Chiozza. He’s got the whole package now(great shooter, defender, ballhandler and passer and he’s lightning quick), and he’s barely hanging on. At the NBA level, I don’t think that Scottie is as good as Cheese. Nevertheless, I would love to see him play in the NBA.

6. GatorsGators

Apr 14, 2012
    I wouldn't consider Chiozza a great shooter. He's been effecient on low volume in the NBA. And, I love Cheese, but he's definitely one of the guards in the league who I would consider to be worse than Wilbekin right now (Cheese is much younger and still developing).

Shane Larkin, whom I referenced earlier, is what Cheese could eventually become imo if his shot keeps developing. I don't think any team is taking Chiozza over Larkin as a player right now, money, age, and whether they're willing to play in G-League not being a factor.

Remember two-way contracts weren't a thing when Wilbekin, Prather, and Young were entering the league. It's made a difference for fringe guys. And there's no doubt that Wilbekin could get a two-way contract right now, but why would he want one? He's making over twice what guys on two-ways make and he is the star on his team.

7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I have no doubt Wilbekin could make it in the NBA, in the sense that he could play at the level expected of someone on the back end of an NBA bench. The problem is that there are a lot of guys like that in the basketball world, and it's tough to stand out from that crowd. And then throw in the financial dynamics GG has articulated....

8. GatorsGators

Apr 14, 2012
    He's better than a back-end of the bench guy. These guys are talking about him in the context of him being a rotational bench player.

9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

Have you been keeping track of Cheese? He is on the verge of a regular NBA contract after excelling for the Nets prior to the NBA shut down. He clearly has become an excellent long-range shooter. In 47 games in the G League in 2018-2019, Cheese shot 40.9% from the NBA 3-point line. He also averaged 7.3 assists per game, 4.8 rebounds per game, 1.8 steals per game and 13.2 points per game. In Cheese's 11 games with the Nets at the end of this past season, on a per- 40 minute basis, Cheese averaged 18.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 6.4 apg and 1.6 spg while shooting 44.0 % from the 3-point line. He also is ranked by ESPN as the best defensive point guard on the Nets. I love both Wilbekin and Larkin, but I don't think that either of them is as good as Cheese right now. As an aside, I was one of the few Gator fans pushing for them to sign Larkin rather than Austin Rivers back whenever. I had gone to see Larkin play several games, and he was very impressive. I also liked Angel Rodriguez back then. At one point, Larkin really liked UF, but I believe that we did not recruit him.

10. GatorsGators

Apr 14, 2012
    Yes, I've been watching Cheese. He's come a long way with his shot, but that high percentage is on very low volume and he's mostly taking wide open shots. Larkin and Wilbekin are both certainly better.

People consider Larkin a borderline starter, fwiw. Chiozza and Larkin are essentially the same player save that Larkin is a much, much better shooter at this stage. Chiozza could be that player in a few years.

11. GatorsGators

Apr 14, 2012
    To compare shooting ability, watch Wilbekin's Maccabi EL highlights. He takes shots in every situation: off P&R action, running around screens off-ball, off the dribble in iso, spotting up off ball movement. And he's taking them long range. Like, from 30+ feet (no exaggeration).

Chiozza does a lot of things better than Wilbekin -- Chiozza is more of a true point with a better handle and court vision. So Wilbekin in the NBA would depend on fit -- he would need to be on a team with a ball-dominant wing in the second unit. But if he could find that fit he'd take off.

Larkin and Chiozza is a better comparison because they're similar players. Chiozza might have a tick better court vision but Larkin is a significantly better shooter at this stage of their respective careers. Again -- don't list off 3P%. Look at the situations in which they take shots, their volume, etc.

12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Maybe Wilbekin could check in with the Lakers to see if there's some interest. They've got a wing who is somewhat ball-dominant. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wilbekin and Chiozza as players are on the fringes of NBA careers talent wise. Wilbekin is in a really good place overseas, but not as good as Nick C who is a National Hero in Greece. It would take lots of $'s to get him into the NBA. Chiozza has shown that he can play at least back-up minutes at the NBA level, but he doesn't have a great overseas contract as leverage. He is stuck on the margins making not a lot of coin. Yes, he can play but lots of other guys can as well. He can't star in the NBA and that is where the really money is.

14. GatorsGators

Apr 14, 2012
    Calathes just signed in Spain, and Wilbekin is generally considered a better player in Euroleague right now.

For anyone who is wondering -- Euroleague is the main continental league in Europe, and not every recent Gator who's played abroad has had a successful career in Euroleague. You can limit that number to three players -- Calathes, Wilbekin, and Tyus.

15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I guess that Nick is now trying to cash in at the end of a career.

Wilbekin is younger and still has a few years left in him.

Many years ago I was at a conference on Corfu (a Greek island) and had a long conversation with the restaurant owner about Nick. He really was beloved in Greece.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GatorsGators

Apr 14, 2012
    Yeah Nick is definitely beloved in Greece. But remember Euroleague is continental. Wilbekin has played three years in Turkey and two years in Israel, so he hasn't had the centralized impact on Greece, but I'm sure any Panathinaikos fan will know who Wilbekin is right now.

17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I disagree with their verdict. Scottie could be a starter on an NBA playoff bound team. He is that good now. It won't happen, though, because teams have invested a lot in the players they currently have and are looking to the draft to fill holes, as opposed to Euroleague vets.

18. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I totally understand why staying in Europe would be the safest, best decision for Wilbekin right now but I wonder if he'll ever want to get into the NBA, for lack of a better term... just to do it. I mean, he played on an elite club in a beautiful city, but I'm sure growing up he didn't dream of playing in the Euroleague, he dreamed of playing in the NBA. I wonder if he might make the leap even if there is potential he doesn't get a great fit and plays sparingly, though I think he'd be a good rotation player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OldAtlG8tor

OldAtlG8tor Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the link in the original post. I haven't really followed where our former Gator basketball players have traveled to/are playing at so this is very helpful. There are many good opportunities overseas to have a career and make good money. Its not the NBA but what an opportunity for some to live in a different country and play the game you love

20. OldAtlG8tor

OldAtlG8tor Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    One of the greatest pieces of advice anyone ever gave me was when I had lost my job and was thinking of moving to a new city because I had been laid off and needed a new challenge. He said if things didn't work out then I always had the option of coming back but you will never know if that option of going away will ever present itself again. Maybe he would choose not to go back but at least he played in the NBA. Plus if he saved some $$ then financially he should be set. Can't wait to see how it pans out!