Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wideman has a nice night

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by shane4three, Nov 22, 2019.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Wideman had 3 touchdowns as Venice took a dominating 34-17 win over Manatee.
    What’s most impressive is this Venice team is primarily a running team with QB Steffan Johnson.

Palmetto playing some great ball this year but for the last 10-15 years from Manatee County to Naples its been Venice and Naples that have represented and not much different this year.
    Bring it up because 2 pretty good NFL running backs come from SW Florida in Carlos Hyde ( Naples High) and Marlon Mack ( Sarasota). Hard to forget Edgerrin James, Sammy Watkins, Trey Burton, Kearse and many many others.

lots of great players in SW Florida and glad to hear of the Gator presence in the area.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. r0r080

r0r080 Sophomore

Jul 31, 2019
    Blown coverage on his last TD, he caught a fade route over a DB he had 6 inches on and a screen pass.....with the TE out wide to block the DB covering him.......Manatee had 2 DB's run him down, but Wideman was able to break free due to poor tackling......don't over state Wideman's play tonight.....we saw 2 non D-1 DB's run him down on the 1st TD, blown coverage on another, and him simply using his 6 inch height advantage on another .........

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Not “overstating”..he’s a legit wideout with a very high ceiling to improve. Really not that serious, just updating for people who are interested. We’ve moved on from him more than likely to focus on other receivers. Hope you realize that most of the top wideouts in the country aren’t playin “D1” corners every Friday night..if anyone has seen wideman play football or basketball you know he’s a freak athlete and can produce like this against anyone

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. r0r080

r0r080 Sophomore

Jul 31, 2019
    I didn't see anything from him that says elite, Venice exploited a game plan that saw them run their QB 30+ times last night with the the other running backs also getting another 40+ carries......They simply caught the Manatee DB's cheating for the run, when they threw the short bubble screen....with the TE coming close to running a pick play to block the DB from being able to defend the play. The key play for me was when I saw the 2 DB's from Manatee run him down from behind, if not for poor tackling technique he doesn't score. If he had above average speed, I'd be all about Wideman......but that one play told me tall receiver, that runs okay routes and offers at best a possession type receiver because of his size at the next level....with no real speed.
    The kid I was most impressed with last night was Tyrique Allen FS for Manatee.....he's only a Soph playing with incredible instinct and range, with outstanding speed and size. By the time he's a senior I say every major D-1 school in the country is all over this kid!

5. beachgator23

beachgator23 GC Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    Not saying which one is right but one of those guys went to the game and the other read it in the newspaper. What is Wideman's speed? Athletic guys get run down from time to time but this is some great insight.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. r0r080

r0r080 Sophomore

Jul 31, 2019
    I was at the game, and seen Wideman twice this season.......he did get run down by 2 Manatee DB's on this play and was telling for me about his speed in as far as he had nothing but open field in front of him.....wasn't as if he was having to change direction or stop and go....

Also want to add that Ryan Ives senior for Manatee 6'5" 265lbs, had played DE his junior and 1/2 his senior season. While I had always felt he lacked the required edge speed to play DE at the next level, the Manatee coaching staff moved him to DT at the mid point of this season. He's been nothing but dominating since then. Venice also has a FSU OL commit in its team and Ives held his own, if not dominated on the DL all night.....to me he's a guy I offer a scholarship to add more weight & strength, but probably is getting playing time by his RS freshman year or RS soph year

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    There is a rumor that the FSU QB commit, Sims, is about to flip to Georgia Tech. Sims is holding this class together. If they lose him, others will decommit as well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. beachgator23

beachgator23 GC Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    Having watched Sims play a handful of times he's vastly overrated. His arm is decent but he stares down his WRs and doesn't make great decisions. He did well in Elite 11 and the 247 guys have some Nole bias that jacked him up the rankings. Also despite having many high level D1 athletes in the 3 years that he was the starting QB at Sandalwood, he NEVER made the playoffs.

And the GT rumor comes fresh off Sandalwood teammate and former FSU commit Derek Bermudez visiting GT last weekend.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  9. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea i heard he's on the verge of leaving too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sqgator

sqgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Sims and Gibbs, GT would have good QB/RB combo. Good for Collins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That height works pretty well, he won’t get shorter when he plays in the sec.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. r0r080

r0r080 Sophomore

Jul 31, 2019
    Agree completely, I'd just like to think my potential SEC WR isn't getting run down from behind by a couple of HS DB's is all I'm saying... Look Venice plays STA this coming week, lets see what Wideman does against STA next week? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get shut down.

13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He is a great Athlete. UF has nor been recruiting him for some time and I doubt that changes. That said, he can be very good for someone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I’ve watched Wideman play football and basketball several times. Is that good enough?

watched against D-1 talent playing against him in basketball and football and always did well. He will be good in college.

Not understanding questioning his talent or my insight as to what I’ve seen personally.

15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    watched him twice this year also and 8-10 times in basketball last 2 yrs. he will be a good d-1 receiver.

16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    If you have seen Venice play then you would agree with me that their quarterback is not a throwing quarterback at all correct? In fact most of their offense is predicated around the quarterback running the ball as you’ve admitted. With a quarterback that has only started a handful of games at his school and doesn’t throw much if at all St. Thomas Aquinas holding him to a catch or two would not surprise me at all so let’s examine the situation a little deeper. Shocking against a solid team like Manatee that he would have three touchdowns. I’d rather give him kudos for those touchdowns as you can’t tell me he was wide open on all three. And I’ve seen him enough to see that he is a freakish athlete that is extremely physical.

If he has more than two or three catches against STA I would be shocked and I will still say he will be a very good division one wide receiver.

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Red zone targets don’t get run down in the end zone.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    We are not recruiting this kid, coaches prefer others.

19. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    GT being good benefits the Gators

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. r0r080

r0r080 Sophomore

Jul 31, 2019
    If you'd been watching Venice play, you'd know prior to the playoffs Venice ran a balanced attacked during the regular season.....it was only after the season ending loss to Manatee that peacock changed things up with the recruited QB from North Port. There's a reason why Wideman left Riverview to come to Venice.....he was promised a passing attack...which he got leading up to the playoffs.......that 1st game against Manatee with Venice using a passing QB out there, saw the Soph FS from Manatee covering Wideman and getting 3 INT's off of him.......like I said average route runner, average speed.........

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1