Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wide Receiver WR & Tight End TE recruiting 2022 and beyond discussion thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jul 22, 2021.

1. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just about every college QB ever is less accurate than Tebow. I really am surprised people forget this. By he set all-time SEC records for efficiency and completion rate.

2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    The eye test showed Tebow wasn’t a great passer. Mullen schemed him brilliantly in the passing game and all of his WR’s in college since Tebow was a starting at UF made it to the NFL.

Percy
    Murphy
    Thompson
    Coop
    Nelson
    Brandon James
    Moore (dont believe he did actually)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Tebow had an unorthodox throwing motion and the ball sometimes had a wobble to it. But the statement was about his accuracy. And while great WRs help, he was simply an accurate passer in college, no matter what season, which receivers he was throwing to, or who was coordinating the offense. He had all four years with a completion rate over 66% and career passer rating of 170--a then NCAA record. Those are ridiculous numbers that put him on the list of all time greats.

Whatever changes to his throwing motion, difference to the game, etc that happened in the NFL, I simply don't think it's defensible to call UF Tebow as anything other than exceptionally accurate, whether the pass was pretty or not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    He was accurate, but his stats are padded by how much teams had to move into the box and defend from sideline to sideline. I expect that our youngest QB have better accuracy. That said I was at the UF UTk game in 2007. His throw while going to ground was phenomenal. He was special.

5. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't intend to go round and round and this is probably more of a semantic disagreement than anything substantial. But by all the statistics, Tebow was one of the most accurate passers in Division 1 history. You expect our current QBs to be more accurate than an all time great? That's just a level of expectation that I have a hard time seeing or thinking is a fair comparison for their sakes after 1 combined start between them all.

And every game plan against the shifty EJ and explosive AR will absolutely be to stack the box and try to make them beat you with their arms and not their feet. I don't see how that changes the comparison between them and Tebow on accuracy at all. All did or will benefit from single coverage on the outside and safeties cheating up. It just so happened that Tebow at UF hit those targets at an unbelievable rate, again and again. I'd love for our guys to become that accurate, but there's a big difference between hoping they perform at a historic level and expecting/assuming it.

6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

I think @kryptonite and I are saying while his completion percentage would lead you to believe he was a deadly accurate passer, the eye test would show that as a passer, he wasn’t close to the passer someone like say Trask was completion percentage be damned. We saw Trask complete passes Tebow never completed. Taking nothing away from his numbers but we saw in the NFL when things were equal talent wise and Tebow had to win with his arm he couldn’t

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I get it, which is why I think it's mostly semantics. But we're not talking NFL. We're comparing apples to apples as much as possible. And while Tebow didn't throw too many lasers, there was just something about him in college that could put a catchable ball where it needed to go again and again and again. You just don't become an all time leader in these statistics with flukes or fudges or fakes. However he managed to do it--pretty or not, successful at the next level or not--he accurately completed passes. Trask was likewise otherworldly and his accuracy is unquestioned. The issue becomes when hoping one of the new guys will be accurate but realizing it's too much to ask for him to be Trask-like, the statement then becomes as accurate or more than Tebow. Maybe that's because Trask's memory was so fresh and the wow factor of his accuracy was so immediate. Maybe it was because our current QBs will run and pass more like Tebow so the comparison seems more apt. But for whatever reason I don't think it helps the comparison for our current guys to basically assert "I know they aren't as accurate as out of our best ever passers but at least their accuracy is probably better than another one of our best ever passers." We should be so lucky.

Danny lofted and sometimes shot putted while Rex was a gunslinger who could hit an NFL out off his back foot. I think they were both deadly accurate passers by my eyes and the stats. Tebow too, however it actually got there, and it got there at a rate equaled by very, very, VERY few.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Just to clarify, the young QB I am talking about are Del Rio-Wilson and Kitna. I don't think EJ and AR are as accurate yet as Tebow was. Trask was more accurate and had to throw in tighter windows. JMO.

9. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    We'll be in great shape if any of our younger guys can put the bullet to the bullseye like Trask or Tebow. Because as differently as they may have arrived, they both got passes just where they needed to go with amazing frequency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

True indeed because as i say….if it was do easy just make another Tebow. Only one i saw that did it better than him when you compare a QB to his SIZE and skillset was Killa Cam

11. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Let me see if I have this right. UF fan isn't happy in 2020 because the Gators couldn't run the ball. UF fan isn't happy in the 2021 opener because the Gators couldn't pass the ball. Do I have it right?

Question: Did our QB and WRs have to carry the offensive load like they did in 2020? The reason I ask is UF leads the nation with 400 yards rushing and is 12th in total offense.

The above leads to another question. Is UF fan still unhappy with the OL now that it has proven that it can run block and pass protect?

Last, but not least, what does it take to make UF fan happy? Can anything be done to cure the unhappiness bug that is so prevalent?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I think its fine that many expected a better showing vs fau.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Let’s just wait and see how we shape out by 7:30pm two weeks from now. There’s positive and negatives to take from this game but shoot the outcome was never in doubt and that’s all that matters. We coulda been Tulane vs Oklahoma but we weren’t and that’s all i can ask for

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Tennessee suffers from Vosheimers, we suffer from AWS…another win syndrome.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Thoughts? He was all gator but cooled some

18. severnt

severnt Junior

Feb 2, 2012
    Where is he doing it?

19. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Exceptional accuracy to me means delivering the ball through tight windows with velocity and/or into the hands of receivers where it gives them the best chance to bring it in. If Tebow had that kind of accuracy, he might still be in the NFL.

20. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, I understand that everyone has a personal calculus and "eye test" about what accuracy means to them. The common factor beyond our personal feelings and individualized assessments, however, is the numbers. And his--in college--were exceptional. Historic even.