Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wi-Fi Mesh Networks

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by anstro76, Jun 1, 2020.

1. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I should buy one since I’m most interested in the last bullet

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    That is a nice list of market speak apple pie things and they sound benign. The fact is that they have and own all the data and meta data of your network including all the passwords to the SSID as well the actual traffic. You are trusting them and their partners with a significant security exposure and depending on their own network security to be sure there are no UNINTENDED uses.

3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    A risk, no doubt, but wouldn't the alternative be weak defense against hackers?

One of the reasons I like to go with Google: Password Reuse

4. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I got a Google Nest two weeks ago. I have Gig Internet through Verizon. I was getting 50-60 MPS in my home office. I got the Google Nest and now I get 300mps and close to 400 MPS right at the router. I also have the added benefit of getting mesh internet all the way out to the back of my yard. Took about 20 minutes to set up. I shut off both 2.4 and 5gz wifi and reset the DHCP on the Verizon router. I plugged in the Nest...fired it up and configured the Nest points in my upstairs and near my office in the Google Home app. Now my Verizon bridging through to the Google Router. I could not be happier with the performance. Was a noticeable difference as I do development remotely. Little pricey at $350 but my internet improved 400% and feel I am getting my money's worth now with my FIOS.

5. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Anyone tried a MESH in an office or commercial setting? Our church has bad wifi--old construction with real walls lol the MESH option seems appealing.

6. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It seems you’re overstating the risks and undervaluing the benign reasons for using some of that data. Obviously there’s a level of trust required in this aspect, it’s the world in which we live.

Would your concerns be alleviated by the Eero Secure/+ programs? eero Secure | eero

I
    already use a vpn with my devices so the amount of important data anyone could collect is generally below my threshold of concern.

7. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Panama City, Florida
    Get a Ubiquiti Unifi access system.as a base server or desktop computer to handout ip addresses and uses access points. We have a large church and have access points around the campus and have great wifi.

8. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Thanks! I will look into that!