Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Why we do what we do (Moderators)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Dec 13, 2020.

1. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I appreciate what the moderator does. However, he/she should block anybody that disagrees with me. Of course, then I be the only one on this board.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

then you be

3. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Wait...there are game threads? Lol. I kid!

4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I have always said the great Non Commissioned Officers usually had an Article 15 or 2 as an enlisted Soldier.

I think the best posters are those who have had a ban or 2. Based on that, I should be in charge of the Armed Forces.

We are fans. Short for fanatic. I was at football practice when Tebow failed on 4th and 1 against Ole Piss. I was ready to fire Urban for that play call alone!! Of course, the 24-14 against arguably the greatest college offense in history convinced me otherwise, until Alabama and the SECG the following year.

If I was rational about sports, I wouldn't be a fan. That said, I stay away from Too Hot and simply leave the board if the game is getting nuts. I am guilty of Fire Todd Grantham, not a fan of Dan Mullen (Marco starting the next week, team Captain, Todd Grantham, bowl prep).

Growl is my favorite mod. tilly, Oklahoma, Bill are the next tiers. I think they are fair. Don't really know the others. And like Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Please feel free to share your conscious thoughts with us more frequently

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    They do it because of me. B-Real. ;)

7. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    As for meself
    It's more than a hobby
    More of a passion.
    The Gator part
    not the cat corralling part.
    Buncha crazed felines .. or Flerkens
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014

9. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014
    Sometime back I posted an entry about a coach that was very popular when we were looking for a coach. He has been unsuccessful in California where he ultimately went. There was a lot of conversation. About 40 entries before the mod closed the site saying we had already talked enough about coaches during the search time which was months before.

I posted an entry complaining that the mods should not do that. That post simply disappeared. An entry said it had been moved. If so, it was moved to a secret place. Certainly somewhere not ascertainable. Not only do the mods act without restraint, one cannot complain about it either. A complaint simply disappears.

I basically left the site until today when I decided I would check to see what is going on and I see this which is announcement about locking sites and monitoring entries and the like.

Do you really think the mods need to be so active controling the people who post on this site?

10. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014

11. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014
    I agee with the sentiment. We can only say what is pleasing to the mods, who act like super censors to control what we say. I am not sure this site will last.

12. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014

13. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014
    I posted a couple of paragraphs describing an incident where I thought the mod was particularly overbearing. Predictably that post simply disappeared, replaced with a single sentence. One cannot criticize a mod, period.

This site is for the mods now, which is probably a good thing since the mods will soon be the only ones left on this site. I know I have had enough.

14. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Best Practices for Moderators are established by the administrators and the owner of GatorCountry. These guidelines include an emphasis on moderators using a light touch. We are all trying to make this place as family-friendly and Gator-positive as possible. We try to eliminate the obvious lies, the BS and the trolls. If you look at the other Gator sports forums out there it's the Wild Wild West. No standards and anything goes. If that's what you want ...
    Gator Country has a moderators/administrators internal discussion oversight and review process in place. Personally, I think we do a pretty good job most of the time.
    We're humans
    We aren't perfect.
    But we try
    and we care.

• Like Like x 1
  15. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    geez louise old- in some ways it is pretty hard to moderate a game thread as we too have our thoughts about our Gators and their at times erratic play - I do my best to just tone down the vitriol in a game thread. You have to really push hard for me to delete a post. If the point is a well made point, I usually just edit out the swear words- but when the FU's start flying it is usually time for the perp to take a break. It is really pretty simple, the man who owns the site gets to make the rules. Those rules are readily accessible.

16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    We are still having issues with the photo upload feature. Thanks in advance for any upgrades which will help!

17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's pretty funny, I think I have been on this website as a paying member for at least 20 years. And last I checked membership was close to an all time high.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I think you guys actually do a really great job. The only comment I would have is that I think sometimes the mods are too slow in eliminating the trolls. When allowed to linger here, the trolls tend to contaminate the discussion and bring us down to the lowest common denominator. The oft-used saying that no one suffers a win like Gator fans is compounded by the fact that all "Gator fans"... are not Gator fans.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, you touched on an interesting topic, Bill. I believe there is a rule something to the effect that posters can't challenge mods (i.e., argue with them). I do agree with that notion for the most part in order to give someone the power to keep things under control and improve the experience here. But, on the rare occasion when mods act more like highly-opinionated posters rather than moderators of the discussion, the shields should come down. The only mod I can think of that did that alot is gone now (maybe that's why). But, in general, that's kind of an interesting conflict. Maybe you guys should have separate accounts for your member-like posts and keep the mod account posts all business? Just thinking out loud. Again, you guys do a great job overall, or I wouldn't even want to hang around. So, thanks for that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1