Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why the tone change?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8rjd, Apr 2, 2020.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    One of the big problems is the right-wing thought that partial, citizen-based travel bans are all that government could have done. Here are the things that they should have been doing:

Making sure that we had testing capacity to test and isolate this at the hot spots that would inevitably develop.
    Prepare people for long shut downs being possible in those areas and that those areas would be treated as disasters essentially.
    Prepare for controls on domestic travel early on when it would still matter.
    These efforts should have been focused on international travel hubs, especially areas with exposure to Asian travel (New York, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, maybe Dallas, Salt Lake City, Detroit, Houston, and Phoenix).
    Advice to close major events (Mardi Gras, conventions, sport events, etc.).

The early goal should have been containment. Instead, it was on ignoring the problem and hoping it would go away with a couple of PR moves designed to make the country divide into the proper camps. A half measure that was only useful as a PR tool rather than as an actual policy to control disease spread.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Epic fail. Like the Matt Bevin victory party?

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. sas1988

sas1988 Sophomore

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    That one never gets old.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Fever was dead wrong in his opinion.
    He was also treated in a way by some that under different circumstances would have met with deletions and thread bans. The insults were unwarranted being that he never insulted back.

Bad opi opinions do not warrant insults.

Agree about Trump...however that is moot as at the moment he is what we got.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From the Dr. Fauci thread:
    Sorry, but I think you're wrong here. While Dr. Fauci might not ever hear/read Fever's posts, he damn sure heard the collective voices of people expressing those exact same extremest points of view. And that is exactly why the doctor in now under increased security. Gator Country should not give a platform to people doing things like that.

If it was merely "bad opinions," I would completely agree with you. But when the bad opinions are so extreme and so inflammatory, they invite a response. Many of those posts were intended to illicit a strong response, it is naive to think otherwise. If I see a bunch of Neo-Nazis expressing their terrible views, I am not leaving it at "I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree." Assuming I can do so safely, I will let them know what disgusting, low life bottom feeders they are in the strongest terms possible.

His Dr. Fauci comments were particularly troubling and not just for the reason I mentioned above. At every Covid-19 briefing, the first person I look for is Dr. Fauci...he is the main "adult" in the room. I genuinely fear that one day Fauci will tire of Trump's nonsense or Trump will tire of not hearing what he wants and start listening more to the right wing extremists, and the doctor will be gone. That day will cost us thousands of dead Americans, just as our ineffective and flawed initial response has caused and is causing. I can not imagine anything worse for this country then to see Jared Kushner having a significant role in directing our coronavirus response.

Mere bad opinion is one thing, dangerous, extremist rhetoric is another.

My $0.02.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Can we just make a fever thread or something instead of having this conversation in every thread?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    His opinions were straight up dangerous. He absolutely was not taking this seriously and was 100% convinced that all of the precautions were hysteria and not necessary and posted constantly to that effect no matter what facts he was presented with. If even on single person (maybe a lurker?) took his posts seriously and was lax in their treatment of this pandemic then hammering his posts was worth it. This wasn't about some benign thing that didn't matter. Just my $.02.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    His opinions were straight up dangerous, and it was important for the disinformation to be correct. But that didn't require personal attacks on him.

When someone presents misinformation, correct it, provide sources, and if they persist, ask them for their sources so that those following along can see that the spreader doesn't have a foundation for those opinions and the people following along at home have access to the correct information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Yeah I've learned my lesson.

10. tilly

Valid opinion no doubt. I just feel much more is accomplished by flooding him with facts, but many (not aiming this at you JMDZ), but many didn't even try to formulate a counter opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tilly

This is all I am saying. Be above it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    “Epic fail”?!? :rolleyes:

13. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008