Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why the expansion?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 23, 2021.

1. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    No doubt about your observation. Historically across all sports teams revert from dominance. Take the Yankees the poster child for dominance for decades times change.
    Thankfully

• Like Like x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    The ncaa is pretty much dead with this move- the sec wants a larger piece of the pie-look for the acc and big10+4 to make a move to add teams

pac12 and big 12-2 are both worthless

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pogba

pogba Freshman

Nov 28, 2013
    This is cyclical in the way Amazon's dominance is cyclical. The system has been broken by the top 4 or so teams and nearly has ruined the sport.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Bring in TX and OK and the SEC has then pretty much wrapped up TX, one of the most rabid football markets in the country. As to OK, there are a lot of OU alumni in DFW/North TX area. With A&M, TX and OU you've wrapped up Houston, Austin and DFW markets.

I see some grumbling about geography - seems like TX and OU are a pretty logical extention geographically from AR, MO and LSU and A&M. Plus they culturally fit in terms Southern roots and love of football.

The only thing I don't like about it is if we end up playing AL, Auburn and GA every year - while the competition would be great, it makes it a tougher road to the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I’ve been done with the NFL for several years now, and I’m squarely on the fence with college football. I’ll still watch the Gators but that might be about it. Sucks, I used to be a true sports fanatic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    The cyclical comment was referenced to Bama only. Every era of collegiate football has seen several teams rise to the top. Nebraska had a strangle hold in the under Osborn, FSU under Bobby, Miami, PSU, ND, Barry Switzer’s OK UF was on the outside for much of those years.

The current system has without having to be perfect b/c of computers, committees and multiple teams intone playoff allowing a team with a misstep late in the year back in etc.

Bama wont continue to dominate post Saban it would be an outlier and the driving force behind their success is NS period.

7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The South shall rise again!!!

8. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I see the SEC as the major college football edition of the NFL, the best designed league to wield the greatest influence and therefore the greatest financial rewards. The others are playing catchup (ie, the USFL, XFL, etc). Mostly because they were designed in an older model and based on "old money". And just like the NFL, you can poo poo their skills but you will get bit if you put your hand in the lion's cage.

9. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    My old take: Bama has gone from a passionate football group with a historic past to one that mirrors The Firm (the book/movie). It isn't a model to behold, it is a model that is a tale of utter caution. You can NOT do what they are doing (and possibly Clemson) with the 85 scholarship limit and have the HS coaches allow you to "slave" their players the way they have. Someone is writing some serious checks to these coaches to "encourage" their guys to sign on year after year. And no, they don't have a better mouse trap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Old model thinking. That is like saying Bama and Clemson will play in the Super Bowl every year because their regular season record will be better than every other NFL team. Once the playoff becomes real (and not this version of a beauty pageant) there is that combo between getting battle toughened and not wearing your bodies out. So you build for the marathon and not the swim suit competition.

• Like Like x 2
  11. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    the SEC is adding Txass and okiefinokee- now they need to make the ultimate power move and add klimpsin and notary dam

12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I can't be for this because, in the new professional NIL environment, Big Oil money from TX and OK will not help the already difficult recruiting environment. And, of course, adding two frequently-competitive teams to the SEC mix significantly lowers our odds of ever winning another SEC championship, as well. If you're not for it, your again' it... so, I'm again' it.

13. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    If Saba hadn't signed on for 7 more years, I would've bet Jimbo Fisher to Bama & Mullen to TAMU.

14. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    As opposed to now, where a 5th year senior will not have played every team in their own conference? Is that the tradition you speak of?

15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Right now that can be changed without crushing the 2 divisions and starting all over. We played 12 all SEC game last year. Why don't we just make a10 or 11 game SEC schedule? With 16 teams we play 7 east and LSU that makes 8 all SEC games. We can add 2 or 3 more games and make for a better schedule.

I understand how a student athlete/football player feels about the schedule but have they ever been the real or main consideration for scheduling by our university athletic department in the past?

But we should make it so that in 5 years we do play e very single team in our entire conference. We just need to make an 11 SEC teams schedule per year. This can still be done with 2 divisions.

16. FLIPCUP

FLIPCUP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Perhaps this is not stopping with the addition of just 2 more teams?

17. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Semper Fi Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    If OU and UT to the SEC happens, it will have ramifications throughout college football. This will be interesting.

By the way, it's good to see you again.

18. gatorempire

gatorempire Junior

Jul 23, 2021
    Consider the history of the NCAA ...

Way back when, college football WAS football. Professional leagues were sideshows. Nobody cared. The NFL('s precursor) started 40+ years after college football. They were way behind college football. As they gained in popularity, they both became a threat to college as well as still lagged behind. In the 1950s the NCAA and NFL came together and started working on a way to divy up the game.

The NCAA's role became making sure that players didn't get paid and college didn't compete with pros. Rather, it was a pipeline, free minor league.

It's impressive this collusion lasted 70 years, frankly. College football became ENORMOUS business and players weren't seeing a dime of it unless they "broke the rules." Once those arbitrary, unfair rules go out the window, the usefulness of the NCAA is gone.

Also keep in mind the NCAA is not an external force - it's the teams themselves. It's the colleges. They know the game is up.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. dabigunit

dabigunit GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    Big fan of this move. This will mean even more money for us each year, which will further increase the financial gap between us and FSU/Miami.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorempire

gatorempire Junior

Jul 23, 2021
    Anything more than 16 becomes very unwieldy for the purposes of championships.

• Agree Agree x 1