Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

"Why I'm Glad I Left America"

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Oct 14, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    The problem is to too many people what they see on TV or social media becomes their reality. In reality most of this has little impact on day to day life, apart from Covid, which isn't exactly dormant in Europe at the moment.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I think there's a lot to complain about. We are tending toward schizoid in our politics and that is bad enough. But as much as we might take care of the less fortunate or the elderly etc., it suffers a coherency problem that I think makes things more expensive than need be.

3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    What are you waiting for? LOL

4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I believe you 100%. I have always prided myself, when I travel abroad, to try to remove the "ugly American" in me and embrace local custom's.

I treasure those experiences.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 Junior

Aug 30, 2020
    Yeah I only skimmed actual article, no interest. But France isn't the best choice for the point she's trying to make. She feels much safer in Paris? It's one of the creepier foreign cities I've been too. I'm not saying it's dangerous but like any major city you avoid the high crime areas and you are usually fine. Safety isn't one of the reasons I'd move there.

• Like Like x 3
  6. archigator_96

archigator_96 All American

Apr 8, 2020
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Awesome post and great points.

But there is no comparison between you and the author, who’s pretentious Condescension makes me happy she is not here.

I think lots of people would like to experience living in other cultures and seeing what life has to offer. But that doesn’t mean crapping all over America.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I lived for a couple of years in Peru. Loved the people and the food. Saw some things you wouldn't see in the states (I don't think). For example, I wouldn't call it a local custom, but in Cuzco I saw an Indian urinating in the street, while another Indian held out his bare foot to wash it in the stream. I took an old-timey train to Machu Picchu (I shared a seat with a chicken). Today the mountaintop ruins get thousands of tourists a day and you need a permit to go there. Back then there were just a few other visitors, and I slept overnight in the ruins. (There was a hotel there but I didn't want to spend the money.) The most mystical experience I've ever had was standing at the edge of the ruins on their mountain at dawn over the river far below in its fog-shrouded valley, hearing nothing but total silence. Later I watched Guy Madison act in a scene in the ruins for an Italian movie called "Last King of the Incas." If it ever got released I never saw it. But that was quite a place to visit. And Peru? I could certainly live there again.

• Like Like x 6
  9. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I really don't know!

10. RayGator

RayGator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Well, I’m glad she left too. Too bad she didn’t pick Communist China or Communist Cuba, she would have really love those places. And she would have deserved it too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. metalcoater

metalcoater GC Legend

May 30, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I looked up the Guy Madison movie. It was “Legacy of the Incas.” That was a long time ago. You must be old like me! :cool::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Even though America left America in 2016, the answer is not to leave America. Rather, get out and vote and bring America back to America. It's not rocket science, you know. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I think it was 1965. And Guy lied to me! I spoke with him briefly in the bar at the Machu Picchu hotel and he said it was "Last King of the Incas." (I imagine he was sitting there drinking because he had to be in that movie.)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Guy taking a break:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Looking forward to spending a couple of years living overseas after my youngest heads to college. We will sell most everything in our primary residence and, when we are done traveling, possibly return to my property in OK. We have always been big on traveling, but I can't see permanently moving overseas. Even when we return to OK, we will continue to take trips.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It happens just about every year up here, esp. among younger adults. Walking is the most dangerous thing to do up here, esp. during winter (ice). Winter is really about survival, but it's also about comfort and warming drinks :emoji_cocktail::emoji_tumbler_glass::emoji_sunglasses:.
    I don't expect to convince anybody about how "great" it is up here, but all things considered, it isn't so bad. There are dangerous weather events just about everywhere (lightning, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding - which don't or rarely occur where I live).
    I've lived most of my life down south and now eight years up here. At retirement, I look forward to finding a home with a moderate climate.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    It has a 5.4 rating on IMDb, which is not terrible. Usually means it's at least worth watching.

Legacy of the Incas (1965) - IMDb

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Lower taxes living in there, I’m sure

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks. I think I'll go down to Blockbuster and see if they have it.

I remember the director raving about how good Guy's performance was in the scene I watched them film. Guy told him, "Okay, get off your soap box." He said it sort of in the tone of "Screw you."