Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why do we drink?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by okeechobee, Nov 29, 2022.

1. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I drank because I loved the feeling. I drank when I was happy. I drank when I was sad. Eventually I loved the feeling so much (and it helped me get to sleep during a terrible insomnia spell) that I did it every day.

I quit 3 years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Sounds like you are able to enjoy alcohol in moderation. Some are able to pull this off, others are not, but happy that you are able to keep yourself on an even-keel (or so it seems).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    It's the best buzz, which is likely the reason alcohol has endured over hundreds of years of mankind and remains the "go to". That said, like most vices, it has it's downsides and all too often, the downside far outweighs the brief buzz you attain by drinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

• Like Like x 1
  5. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Good song
    Also. “If you don’t start drinking I’m gonna leave” and “One bourbon, one scotch, one beer”.

George likes to sing about drinking.

• Like Like x 2
  6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom...you never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. William Blake

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    If a person doesn’t curse and drink in moderation, he/she cannot be trusted.
    My grandma used to always say…

• Like Like x 1
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Uh nope. It's like drinking decaf coffee. I drink my 2 cups of coffee every morning because I need the caffeine. My wife will drink a decaf after dinner but not me. I know there are Millennials and Gen Zers who can order up a coffee that tastes like a shake but I'm talking straight up black coffee. If not for the caffeine I wouldn't drink it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    If one elects to abstain, more power to them. But the recovery movement is lamentable as it ingrains helplessness over substances which might be enjoyed in manageable quantities.

10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    And the hits keep on coming. How’s a guy supposed to loosen up all those rigid gals? In college, if NA drinks were a thing, I’d been quite the dud.
    Man, those days at the swamp(bar) were great. Thanks Gatorade for making me reflect back on the old days.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    My recollection years ago on the other message board that drinking was a big part of your life as you discussed being intoxicated a lot. I’m glad you are in a better place.

I’ve finally admitted to myself I really can’t social drink, beyond one or two drinks, because after that point I just want more and once I’m drunk I’m often belligerent and make dumb decisions. The question is if I can just limit it to an occasional one or two beers and cut off. I think so but remains to be seen.

13. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Oh yeah, I was a regular member of the Drunk Thread. I had a lot of fun but things just got out of hand. Juggs is sober as well. 2 years now I think.

• Like Like x 1
  14. adamgator96

adamgator96 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I really enjoyed it. Steven Spurrier was just the icing on the cake.

15. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I'm listening to this book now. It is geared not only toward those who want to quit entirely but also just cut back, which is my goal - mostly for physical health and energy reasons. Seems so far like her message is a bit unconventional and maybe overly optimistic about how easy it is to quit or significantly reduce consumption. But I think it's worthwhile for those interested and may hopefully add to the discussion. Hopefully people will continue to weigh in on their own experiences, challenges, goals, and progress.

This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol, Find Freedom, Discove…

Millions of people worry that drinking is affecting their health, yet are unwilling to seek change because of the misery and stigma associated with alcoholism and recovery. They fear drinking less will be boring, involving deprivation, difficulty and significant lifestyle changes.

This Naked Mind offers a new solution. Packed with surprising insight into the reasons we drink, it will open your eyes to the startling role of alcohol in our culture. Annie Grace brilliantly weaves psychological, neurological, cultural, social and industry factors with her extraordinarily candid journey resulting in a must read for anyone who drinks.

This book, without scare tactics, pain or rules, gives you freedom from alcohol. By addressing causes rather than symptoms it is a permanent solution rather than lifetime struggle. It removes the psychological dependence allowing you to easily drink less (or stop drinking). Annie’s clarity, humor and unique ability to blend original research with riveting storytelling ensures you will thoroughly enjoy the process.

In a world defined by ‘never enough’ Annie takes us on an intellectual journey through the world of alcohol and specifically the connection between alcohol and pleasure. She dispels the cultural myth that alcohol is a vital part of life and demonstrates how regaining control over alcohol is not only essential to personal happiness and fulfillment but also to ending the heartache experienced by millions as a result of secondhand drinking.

16. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Acquired taste with alcohol is an interesting topic. Roland Griffiths, who is an expert on substance abuse and addiction if anyone is, postulates that acquired taste for alcohol is basically what you claim, although working on a deep, subconscious level. The brain and body learn to crave the taste of certain alcohols based on repeat exposure to that taste becoming associated with a desired feeling or chemical dependence (in the case of true addiction). It's pretty basic stimulus-reward behavior.

So it might not be as cut-and-dry as your friends liking bourbon just because it gets them bombed, but they definitely like the taste of bourbon because their minds/bodies perceive that taste as having positive "rewards" in the near future.

17. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Makes sense, I find that the less I drink the less varied my taste for beers becomes. I just don't like nearly as many as I did a few years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    You left out the smokin O and B - Otherwise "thumbs up"

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    “No f ing Merlot!” LOL

20. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Happy to see this bumped.

Today's answer to the OP: Cause it's Friday!!

• Funny Funny x 2