Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why do performers lip-sync?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by ArtVandelay, Nov 21, 2017.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    While watching the AMA's, it seemed like half of the performers lip-sync. I know a lot of times they do it because they want to dance, but it seems silly to me. If I wanted to watch dancing and acrobats I would go to Cirque. It's really bad if you do it in concert, but it seems that these award shows don't care. I am sure you can find enough good performers to actually sing. Anyone else annoyed by this?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    When a singer is jumping on stage to perform just one song in a variety show that is one setting where lip-synching is considered acceptable. Unless the singer has their own band, producer and music director on stage it will be nearly impossible to re-create the sound from their studio recording. Each individual artist would have to spend substantial rehearsal time finding the right balance and blend of the instruments with their particular voice and song.

For example, a drum kit will have at least eight mics. Even after you take the time to get the output from all those mics balanced, the next artist will probably need a different balance.

So most of the time the performer chooses to lip-synch because they don't think they would be able to produce a live sound that would satisfy their fans.

Producing high-quality live sound in performance is really hard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ratatatat

ratatatat GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    a comet heading for Earth
    Ahhh, that's why I pretty much stopped watching those.

I much prefer live music without all of the dancing and extras.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and it seems nearly all performers are lip synching. Wife and I were arguing about a child performer, who appeared to be singing live. Shortly before the little girl, though, legend Patti Labelle lip synched. As a musician, it drives me nutz; can't stand it. @wygator (fellow musician) makes excellent points about why it is often done during award shows. Many of those decisions, though, I think occur "above" the performers. IOW - "thank you for performing in our awards show. You WILL lip-synch." Only the truly great artists like Stevie Wonder will have the autonomy to say "I WILL perform live. Take it or leave it." Power of decision has much to do with who wants/needs who more.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just a hunch....
    They can't afford any miscues when the cameras are rolling.
    They can't afford to get sued by the performers for ruining their image either.

6. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I understand the logistics of it, but find those performers that can do it. Nothing live should be lip-sync'd. Anyone can go up there and do that.

7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I prefer to believe that they are singing as if they are amplified but the real sound is canned, unlike me doing Frank Sinatra on stage.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Because they can...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ratatatat

ratatatat GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    a comet heading for Earth
    So you can't hear if they fart.

10. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Never a problem for me. I can't stand any music award shows. Besides I never know a large majority of new artists anyway. I don't do the radio(thanks Spotify). Plus I enjoy when the live show sounds different from the album anyway, why leave the house and pay extra money for the same thing?

11. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There were only two award shows I ever really watched--the emmys and the oscars. They now have gone so far down the slippery slope to total politicization I don't even want to give them my ratings point.

Since there are music award shows and other performer shows nearly once a week, particularly during sweeps months, they have become totally commoditized and thus worthless. JMHO

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched the Billboard Music Awards last night and this was rampant throughout. It's so ridiculous to me. Even Janet Jackson who was being awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award barely sung.

13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Performers simply can't perform the way REAL performers did in the past.

Many old time rock stars, (think Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, Elvis, etc.) could move and jump all over the stage, and STILL sing without ever thinking of pulling a "Milli Vanilli"

It was simply unheard of back then.

The fact of the matter is, aside from having way too many Award shows, or any type of shows... most of the so-called "performers" are nothing more than Hollywood-made, not-too-talented farces... In a good studio, they can make ANYBODY sound good, to release their CD'S , BUT, put 'em live on stage in public, and they have their choreographed dancers to detract your eyes from their flaws, anyclose-up shows tons of makeup that hides their bad complexion, and, yes, they HAVE to lip-sync, because, well, all the flaws will come out!

Get rid of all these BS shows I won't watch ANY of them!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Huh. I didn’t notice.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Live and live on television are different things. I've only seen one live show where a performer lip synced and as soon as the audience caught on, the lip sync tracks was cut off and you started hearing the singer's actual voice. It was Chuck D from Public Enemy. I don't know why he thought he could get away with it. As many have said, TV is very different. Unless you're watching something like Austin City Limits, it's not set up for an ideal audio experience. TV performances are visual experiences and not ideal at all for real time live vocal performances.

I do recall the Oscars being very good this year with live singing, particularly Mary J. Blige, Sufjan Stevens, Common and Andra Day.

17. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I see it all the time live and live on tv. I get what you are saying, but there are plenty of performers who can do it well on TV. No need to have the ones that don't.

18. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

And now, they have the absolute WORST show of TV called "Lip Sync Battle", where the chick co-host is the sluttiest thing out there!

She tries to push the filth envelope on the commercials!

I won't watch that show!

19. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN