Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Why Do My Fellow Republicans Make Excuses for Trump’s Deficits?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Feb 19, 2020.

1. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I always liked the GIANT KOOL AID PITCHER GUY terrorizing they neighborhood in those commercials. Nostalgic I guess.
    That isn’t a JAMESTOWN SPECIAL KOOLAID is it?
    Ok, No? Good.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I am confused. It happens.
    Lol.
    The title says your FELLOW REPUBLICANS.
    Then, the first line said his own party.
    So...you are not a Republican.

Okay...got it.
    When was the last budget passed? A long time ago, I think.
    Many years. They don’t even talk about it anymore.

For the record, I think they should. Agreed.:)
    I think we should balance the budget every year, if I read this right. Jmo.:cool:
    Also, I think Al Gore should return the lock box he promised to put the social security money in. We need it.;)
    Can you tell I am on social security? :eek::D

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I sure as heck hope it's not the Jamestown recipe. I'd prefer it be the Woodstock recipe, just not the brown acid. o_Oo_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    I've worried about this debt problem for many years, to the point of being a borderline prepper. I remember having a back and forth with an old member, calsfgator? one of those guys on here that were super smart, who basically said I was being foolish and the world would continue to spin just like it always had. Well he was totally right and honestly I'm not sure anymore if it really matters how much debt we rack up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Amen amen.;)

6. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Prepper.
    I have a retired colonel who does some of that.
    I understand it somewhat better now.
    Once upon a time, way back, I thought they were trying to say DOCTOR Pepper.
    You know back yard bbq thing and all that.

Now I know it’s more of a CLOVERFIELD thing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I hear you and I've also worried about it perhaps more than is called for.

But we should be paying down the debt in good economic times so when we do use it to buoy the economy we're not running it at an unsustainable percentage of GDP. Something has to give and our kids will pay the price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I believe it’s the title of the op-ed, which was written by a Republican. HTH.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Ahhh
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That is an interesting point... There's plenty of brilliant people who agree with you...

But I think that the benefits of job creation economically outweigh single checks of $1,000... for not working (and I think that's being generous as to how much people were paid)... Even during recessions, people need to be spending some amount of money... It's not like everything halts... It just slows down...

At the end of the day, most people are going to get a lot more money from their job than they ever will from a stimulus package check... Create competition in the job market with more businesses... Give people more flexibility to negotiate a raise or switch companies... and that's more powerful and better for the economy than just giving poor people checks to spend on likely basic necessities like food, water, and housing...

To me, even if you're looking at it from the buyer's perspective... They don't have money to pay for something... How do you give them money? Either a job or a government check in the mail (I think we both should agree the job is better).... How do we get them the job... Incentivize businesses to hire people... lower barriers to entry...

To me, it starts from the top... People start losing their ability to pay for things when they lose their jobs or lose their confidence that they are going to keep their job...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Lower taxes for who? I benefited, but what about those middle class folks? I'm not a economic expert outside of my own, but I have seen how economies go in cycles. Right now we are in a 10 year momentum swing (recovery) and will need some sort of correction soon. JMHO

12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yes economies experience periods of growth and recession in cycles...

The benefits from tax cuts are better to stimulate growth than stimulus packages, no pun intended, because they incentivize job creation...

Those new jobs created generally favor the country as a whole more than whatever government check you get in the mail.... People don't generally use those checks to start a business... they use those checks to accommodate basic needs...

Even true Keynesian theory suggests that periods of recession should be treated with high spending paired with tax cuts... So it suggests to do both, have stimulus packages and lower taxes... The problem is that would cause the deficit and debt to get out of control. If you're going to run a government that way, you need to have high taxes and low spending during periods of growth... And we don't do that... largely for political reasons...

In essence, a government check in the mail probably won't make or break you... It might help... but it's not going to turn your life around in a bad economy... only you can do that...

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    When was the last time the Federal Budget went down...?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1