Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why Do My Fellow Republicans Make Excuses for Trump’s Deficits?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Feb 19, 2020.

1. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I don't recall how we would reduce the deficit being a topic in the last election, and it doesn't seem to be a high priority in this one. It used to be the #1 issue. Side note: Obama took over a REAL mess, not like the made up one Trump is saying he took over. I don't think there was another way to get not only the US out of it, but the rest of the world was following suit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    On a side note, people should start taking Amy Klobuchar seriously...

She would probably be pretty threatening to Trump in a general election... She's not exactly inspiring... but she's normal... And that might be all it takes to win in 2020... :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    While each side does show more concern about the deficit and debt when the other party is in the White House, the Republicans' hypocrisy is far more apparent.
    Consider the Tea Party movement that started right after Obama took office. It claimed to be concerned about the budget and the debt, but a lot of could tell pretty easily that it was just an anti-Obama thing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Needless to say, we don't hear much from that group anymore, do we?

4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Well there's no way of proving that one way or another...

Here's my honest opinion:

Could Obama have made the economy recover more quickly? Yes...
    But he would've had to increase debt over the long haul even more than he did....

Could Obama have decreased the deficit even more than he did, and earlier than he did? Yes...
    But it would have been an even slower recovery than the one in which we had...

I truly believe one of the major reasons that we have the booming economy that we do now is because of the low taxes... Obviously that comes with a price when you're spending as much as the Federal Government is spending...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I think a lot of people may be confusing hypocrisy with failure to meet a certain standard that you expect from yourself...

Republicans preach low taxes and low spending... but they can't figure out where to cut spending in a manner that is both sufficient and popular... that's a failure on their part... and that's why they're quiet on it...

Democrats generally preach high taxes and high spending... but their taxes still can't keep up with their spending... and Republicans point that out...

I think Republicans recognize that what they're doing is wrong, they're just trying to conceal their failures... It's more of a case of "throwing stones from inside a glass house" than hypocrisy...

It would be hypocrisy if Republicans are saying "it's okay when Trump does it, not when Democrats do it." Most Republicans in my circles aren't saying that... but I get that many do... It's just another case of big dumb tribal politics...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    What about the rise and disappearance of the Tea Party? Isn't that exactly "we were really upset when Obama ran a deficit, now ... not so much."

7. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    The only question I have when people say the economy is now booming, why has the GDP not gone above 3% during Trump's term? Isn't that a key measure of the economy? Now it may be the trade war slowing global growth down, I don't really know, but there were four quarters under the Obama years that went over 4% GDP. Peter Navarro couldn't really defend his position when confronted with that fact, other than to repeat that Obama's economy was bad. It's kind of like downplaying the unemployment rate during the Obama years but touting it during the Trump years. I just don't get why people can't look facts square on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Crickets is not the same as saying "it's okay..."

It's more like hiding in this case... :D

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you wanna sell people on the economy's bad and we need to fix it...

Have at it, dude...

Good luck with that...

10. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Not saying the economy is bad, in fact other than people adversely affected by the trade war, it's pretty good by the same measures as used in Obama's terms. So by the same measure, both were/are pretty good. Now there shouldn't be any question that where Obama started was a dire time, Trump started with a healed and growing economy.

11. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    There are certainly circumstances where deficit spending is a good thing. When the economy is in the toilet, deficit spending can be a great way to stimulate it. During times of war, it has historically been badly needed. Indeed, we borrowed heavily to create the union.

But when times are good? Why charge up the credit cards when you have the ability to pay them down?

While incumbents rarely have an interest in paying down the debt, there are nonpartisan organizations that are dedicated to it, such as the Concord Coalition.

But uncontrolled debt destroys nations and ends empires. In a democracy, it is particularly dangerous as foreign entities have growing abilities to influence our policy.

So yeah, something needs to be done. But it’s easier for incumbents, of either party, to just buy more guns and butter and point to them as reason to stay in office. The last major politician that flipped a position to reduce the debt and stimulate growth was George HW Bush, when he broke his “No new taxes” pledge. It paved the way for a decade of solid growth, a budget that actually ran a surplus, and lost him his job. Then his son blew it up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    News flash, nobody in DC gives a rip about deficits and debt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I believe the correct thing is to raise taxes in booming economies to make sure you're bringing in more money than you're spending...

But I don't believe in stimulus packages to the lower classes during recessions... it's a nice bandaid, not a lifesaver... That's probably a fundamental disagreement that we have... I believe in incentivizing job creation and growth of businesses in times where not enough people are spending...

The fiscal problem with the Democratic Party is the endless promises to increase spending... Considering the debt problem that we have... it pains me to say this, but raising taxes is a good thing... it just has other consequences... Democrats have the spending side of the coin wrong, IMO...

But particularly in booming economies... if you don't have the spine to cut in the places that make a dent... you have to increase taxes...

14. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seems to me stimulus packages to the lower classes during recessions will cause people to spend more.

What does “incentivizing job creation and growth of businesses” entail to you?

15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You're just changing where the money would have been spent...

I'd rather that money go towards job creation and business investments than hamburgers...

It's that saying: "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... teach a man to fish, and he'll eat the rest of his life."

16. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    People that aren’t working aren’t spending money. Food isn’t the first thing cut but the last.

You didn’t explain what “incentivizing job creation and growth of businesses” means to you.

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    People who are wealthy like Bill Gates, Mike Bloomberg, Warren Buffett, and yes... Donald Trump... are job creators...There are many people with less wealth than them that are also "job creators" but aren't too distant from the middle class... Many are in the Middle Class... So let these people start their businesses without forcing them to pay higher taxes, to pay their employees a $15 minimum wage, without forcing them to pay for all of these benefits, without increasing barriers to entry...

Make the conditions as favorable as possible to start a business... and let it happen... That's what it means to me...

18. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Maybe not but they do have plenty to be able to still knock Trump for of his actual spending and marginal at best gains for it.

19. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    My belief is that creating a favorable business environment does little good if people do not have disposable funds to buy goods and services. It seems to me the way you can stimulate the economy, and create new businesses and jobs is to provide a stimulus to those that will spend it. This creates more buyers which creates a favorable business environment.

But I’m no economist so I may have the chicken and the egg incorrect.

20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. But there is one group that has pretended to. While not giving a rip since the Domenici/Kasich days working with Clinton.