Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Why Do My Fellow Republicans Make Excuses for Trump’s Deficits?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    It's more the other way around, wouldn't you say? But, I guess it depends on how you view America. All I can say is the America represented by Trump and his minions is not the one set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, or taught in civics class, or that my ancestors and I thought we were fighting for. Trump and the Trumpeteers have utterly perverted that ideal. All this to keep out immigrants (of color), immigrants who have heretofore done far more good for America than harm.

2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
  3. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    It was there out of necessity for a time. Like Minesweeper and Solitaire being included on computers in order to train people how to use a mouse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. surfn1080

surfn1080 GC Legend

Sep 26, 2008
    they didn’t say a peep here about it during his 8 years.
    Also how many pubs here are really giving Trump a pass on budget?? Every republican I know all agree he needs to shrink the deficit.

5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Anyone who boasts of Trump's economic claims without hammering him on deficit spending is giving him a pass. Anyone who boasts of Trump's economic claims without providing context that they are a solid extension of the economic gains already made under Obama (basically straight trend line under both Presidents for all major indices), is not being honest about the economy.

And that appears close to 100% of the Trump supporters who post in here. On both counts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I don't know Oak. My experience around here is that both sides take the extreme on their guy because the other side is often taking the extreme on their guy. I think BOTH sides are more level headed in their brains than what we type on this forum.

Our defense mechanism kicks in so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree both sides go to extremes. Neither side is immune.

Just saying Trump and/or surrogates have already done everything claimed against him. He's going to keep doing it and probably more stuff we haven't thought of yet. It's what he does and he's been emboldened by publicly getting away with a lot of criminal and unethical behavior. It's only going to get worse.

Like him or not, there were not credible allegations of that stuff against Obama. At least not that I've seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Just fyi - the five presidents who had the highest debt growth by percent:

1. FDR
    2. Wilson
    3. Reagan
    4. GW Bush
    5. Obama

Amount of increase in dollars tends to get higher with each president, but here's the dollar increase for the presidents since 1960:
    Trump $5.008 trillion in first term
    Obama $8.588 trillion in two terms
    Bush $5.840 trillion in two terms
    Clinton $1.396 trillion in two terms
    Bush $1.554 trillion in one term
    Reagan $1.86 trillion in two terms
    Carter $299 billion in one term
    Ford $224 billion in three years
    Nixon $121 billion in five years
    LBJ $42 billion in five years
    JFK $23 billion in three years

Which President Increased U.S. Debt the Most?

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think your memory is off. The common theme among Democrats when deficit spending was brought up by Republicans was that they didn’t like it but saw it as a necessary evil to crawl out of the recession and that austerity would be devastating. We also saw deficit spending shrink in Obama’s second term.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I think we may be able to put an asterisk next to FDR since we were, you know, fighting evil incarnate from taking over the world and such.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    You're talking about Trump's inspirational bed time reading. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    You give me hope, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    Just talked to two people who chaged their party affiliation this week. Both voting now for Bernie.

14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Nobody seems to care about balancing the budget...

Democrats always talk about how Obama halved the deficit... but they never talk about how he doubled the debt...

Trump cut taxes... Or at least put them off... but has insufficiently reduced spending to accommodate the cuts...

Certainly a worthy knock on Trump... But let's not pretend Democrats care about balancing the budget... This is the same party that currently has Bernie "free everything" Sanders as their frontrunner to win the presidency...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Both parties are...

It's felt like a race to the bottom for a while now...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That's exactly correct...

17. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    TIL "insufficiently reduced spending" is now a euphemism for "increased by $450 billion."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think we are tired of being peed on and told that it is raining. Don't bark about fiscal responsibility when your behavior makes it clear you don't give a damn about that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    That's the thing, democrats aren't pretending they care that much about the debt, not like republicans have when it was democratic president. Republicans have made it a *the issue* after ignoring the debt and deficit spending under W, and now again it's a weak tea "we care" when for seven years after the recession it was ad nauseum the worst thing ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    A balancing act needs to take place...

I don't think Democrats have any sort of high ground on this issue if they run Sanders against Trump...

They may, however, if they run a relative moderate like Bloomberg, Biden, or Klobuchar... but it would likely come with short-term economic consequences, likely from increasing taxes...