Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Why Do My Fellow Republicans Make Excuses for Trump’s Deficits?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Feb 19, 2020.

1. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes. That was the last time we made the debt clock go backwards. Then W erased it with tax cuts and a war on credit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Um...no. Clinton’s policies were investments in the middle class, not trickle down economics with corporate welfare. They were certainly moderate, particularly for the time, and they were more deregulatory that probably was safe, but they weren’t irresponsible tax rate slashes of the highest tax brackets.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Obama took over with 800,000 jobs disappearing monthly. You have to spend money to fix things sometimes. What's Trump's excuse?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. raygravesghost

raygravesghost All American

Aug 13, 2019

Party has been in consistent decline since the Civil Rights vote in '65

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And that "minus the tax cut" is a huge difference. Clinton had the balls to raise taxes. He promised a tax cut when he was running for the presidency, realized that it could explode the deficit and instead proposed a tax hike knowing that it could be politically damaging which it was, costing the Democrats control of both Houses of Congress. Trump isn't concerned about what is best for the country. As with everything else his only concern is with what would be best for Donald Trump and in the case of the tax cut, also his wealthy campaign contributors.

Giving Trump credit, it takes real incompetence to run up the deficit with unemployment at near record lows and no major war. The last time the unemployment rate was this low (1969) we actually ran a surplus as we did during the last years of Clinton's second term. One promise that Donald Trump of the six bankruptcies did keep was his promise to run the government the way that he ran his private sector businesses.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Eh I don’t think there’s much equivalence. The Democrats’ mainly just point out how wildly hypocritical the Republicans have been from Obama to Trump. Secondarily Democrats point out that it’s unwise to cut taxes and engage in stimulus spending during a good economy. That’s not an objection to deficits in general, but more a when/where/why complaint.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    That's certainly valid.:star:

8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, he did at least keep one promise. Nailed it actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Predictably the whataboutist crap comes out instead of addressing the question at hand. A member of the party formerly known as the gop (now firmly the Trumpist party) is calling out fellow republicans for looking the other way as record deficits mount as per the OP. It is apparent that republicans only care about fiscal responsibility when a democrat is in the white house. Similarly, they only care about character when a democrat is in the white house. The obvious hypocrisy makes them uncomfortable, so they deflect.
    I suppose the author of the article is yet another deep state never trumper /Hillary lover who will be roundly trashed by the maga nation for daring to speak out.

• Winner Winner x 6
  10. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    I said minus the tax cut. Glad you agree with me.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Financial ruin? Do liberals lack even basic common sense anymore? I'm not bashing you studegator, I'm bashing opinion pieces like this one that is written by a liberal that is so obsessed with Trump, they have tossed out their brains and are living on emotion. I constantly have to remind the leftists that on 1/1/2017, the CBO came out with their 10-yr annual budget projections and starting in 2019, the deficits would hit $1T and by 2026 $1.5T. 2026 is the end of the 10 yr projection, but the CBO indicated based on current budget expenditures, the deficits would continue to climb and surpass $2T by 2036. That's based on ACA and other spending bills enacted under Obama taking full effect several years from the time he signed them. Had Trump just sat on his butt and sign nothing, the deficits would already surpass $1T by now.

Yet, the same twit goes on and on about how Trump is killing our fiscal well-being, yet doesn't even blink an eye at Bernie's proposed $50 T R I L L I O N spending bill. For the uneducated, no amount of taxation can pay for that. NONE. You could tax every single person in the US of every cent they earn and you still couldn't touch that amount, even after 10 years of it. Bernie will create double figure $Trillion deficits in which the interest on debt will be more than everything else combined. And also the interest on debt is always paid first, so if we have a dollar to pay on interest and need that dollar in Medicare, guess what gets paid and what doesn't. And that's forever BTW. 3,000 years from now, we would be still be paying it with no reduction in the principle. Bernie doesn't care that we have a $1,000,000,000,000,000 debt as long as he gets his proposals through. The problem is the days of the mighty USA would be numbered.

So yeah Trump could have spent the last 3 years trying to pass fiscal austerity, but it would never make it past the House because you-know-who runs it. Imagine if Trump came in on Day 1 and increased taxes of everyone and asked for a 3% wealth tax on the Top 1%. Of course, you can't just increase taxes, you also need to drastically cut spending, not by 10% (like we proposed a few years ago that almost collapsed the financial markets), but by nearly 80%. You say BS on the 80% but to generate a $1T surplus needed to pay down debt in 20 years requires a nearly 80% increase in spending cuts. Why? Because 1) you can't touch interest on debt and 2) you can't touch mandatory spending. So all you have left is Discretionary Spending which is all of the federal agencies you can think of. In order to generate the $1T surplus, it requires an 80% cut in spending in that bucket. The good thing is as you pay down debt, the interest on debt decreases too.

Yeah, imagine the field day this forum would have had if for the past 3 years we lived through that. Probably would be in a Depression now with the markets less than half what they are now. Property values would have collapsed too. Unemployment would be nearly 10%.

12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "Probably would be in a Depression now with the markets less than half what they are now. Property values would have collapsed too. Unemployment would be nearly 10%." You mean like when Bush left office?

• Winner Winner x 3
  13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I hate the deficit and it needs to get under control. Freeze spending and let the economy grow out of it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Come on, man.

That's like saying The Challenger flight was successful minus the explosion.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

16. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Meh.

17. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I didn’t read the article, but look at republicans here on too hot.

I’m one and will be voting Democrat due to the deficit and many, many, many other issues with Trump that are more important than my pocket book (tax rate) or my children’s (deficit).

In fact, besides 3-5 posters, I don’t see anyone here in my fellow party “supporting” Trump. A few will hold their nose and vote for the POS.

For less educated voters, that don’t actively post on political message boards associated with top 40 Universities, that’s a different story. We aren’t a good sample...

You have to think enough will wake up to the BS at this point. I mean the downing of the planes during the revolutionary war at his inauguration speech was when I saw the light. Something is a very, very wrong up there.

Edit: Was going to start In too busy to read the article then realize I spent 10 mins typing this. Will read and see if it changes anything.

• Like Like x 4
  18. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Clippy was awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Each side might, but I honestly don't know if there is much equivalency. There seems to be a different understanding imo.

20. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I love the edit :)

• Agree Agree x 1